apple cider vinegar and inflamation

hello. my name , is mike, and i have sever "plaque psoriasis". recently, the inflamation and "flare up" has been very sever. A friend of mine told me about "body ph", and suggested apple cider vinegar. yesterday, I started drinking approximately 2 tabelspoons of it 3x a day. Frikin amazing. the inflamation, redness, and itching dramatically reduced within a few hours. wow.

31 replies. Join the discussion

No way?! I tried covering myself in apple cider vinegar over a week ag- I need to admit I did it only once, and the results on next day were awesome! However, at the end of the day I was red again. How can you stand smell of it?! I was lightning candles to bare in that stink, meanwhile you drink it!! :)

This is certainly unconventional medical care for treatment of psoriasis. Will the moderators move this discussion to CAM?

yeh.. lol... luckily i like the taste of vinegar :) try google, n look up "apple cider vinegar psoriasis", and "urine ph psoraisis". youll get more info. good luck. -zord :)

I posted this on another thread, but I'll post it here, too. ACV is great for helping to restore normal pH, but straight out of the bottle it's far too acidic. You need to dilute it.

Using ACV (or any other acid) as a rinse after soap (alkaline) can help with irritation because it returns the body to normal pH...but consider that vinegar "reduced with water to 5% acidity" as many are, has a pH of 2.39, whereas normal skin has a pH of between 4 and 6.5. It doesn't take much acidity to balance alkalinity - you probably don't want much less than a pH of 5 when using ACV. The pH scale is not a 1:1 ratio - more like 10:1, so a pH of 3 is about 100 times more acidic than I would think you'd want. Too much acidity can cause dryness and scaling, which is exactly what you're trying to avoid.

3 or 4 tablespoons diluted in a gallon of water will yield a pH of roughly 5. I buy a gallon of distilled water and drop in 4 tablespoons of ACV. That's usually more than enough acidity to balance skin's pH.

I should add that I don't use ACV for my skin, but as a rinse for my hair, since I have trouble with build up. The ACV helps rinse off the things I use to clean my hair as well as the minerals in my water.

Annie:

Psoriasis and pH
http://www.dermaharmony.com/skinnutrition/ph.aspx

The National Psoriasis Foundation notes that some patients have reported success with using alternative psoriasis treatments, including apple cider vinegar.
Psoriasis Treatment Using Vinegar
http://www.ehow.com/way_5463386_psoriasis-treatment-using-vinegar.html

from what ive read searching the net, apple cider vinegar turns alkaline during the metabolic process, lowering internal ph.

I think that this is something we should all look at with the light of reason. I know the ph is off in my body. A little vingegar is what I was told to give my cats when they had cystitis in their water diluted. I know once in a great while it serves as a rise diluted with water for the hair. It shines beautifully. I also know that it works to help the metaboic rate , my daughter uses it and she has lost a lot of weight.
Please speak freely in here most appreciate your information.
Jane

actually the apple cider vinegar capsules are easier to take . just don't get those big horse pill size hard capsules .[ horrible ]. Get the nice capsules . look at pictures and descriptions of pills .small caplets are okay if you can find them .
cathyf from ma

A great way to have apple cider vinegar is in salad dressing! I make my own by mixing 1/2 cup of strawberry yogurt with 3 tbsp of ACV its super good! and I put it on a bed of spinnach and fresh strawberries (even more alkalizing) try it!
PS, you are supposed to use the 'mother'(unpasturized) to get the full benefit.

Wildflowerannie.. no one is saying anything bad about western med on this thread, and the section is "psoriasis" kinda leaves it open to whatever I would say.. and there is nothing wrong with healthy diet. Actually most traditional doctors suggest healthy diet along with medication to fight disease becasue its very important.. try being happy for people when they find something natural that works for them.

Apple Cider Vinegar Psoriasis Treatment
(apple cider vinegar psoriasis ph- article)
http://www.psoriasis-aid.com/psoriasis/apple_cider_vinegar_psoriasis_treatm ent.html

Another article i read, but can't find now, said to drink Apple Cider Vinegar 3 times daily, diluted water, and sweetened with honey if you want.

I just got a bottle. Seems like it can't hurt and would be amazing if it helped!

Although I have never used ACV (and so I have no opinion on its use), this entire body pH and its relationship to psoriasis is rather dubious ... in my opinion. Pagano and many others stress the importance of consuming alkaline foods because, in unspecified ways, an acidic body can lead to psoriasis. I will remain skeptical of this theory until someone comes up with a good explanation, preferably based on science. Devotees of this theory might say "oh, but look at all the testimonials from those who have successfully treated psoriasis using the Pagano diet". My response: the Pagano diet happens to be a very healthy diet, with heavy use of fruits/veggies. And he is big on colon cleansing. It is the cleaning up of the colon and allowing the body to absorb nutrients that contribute to psoriasis healing, ... in my opinion.

But hey, if ACV works for anyone ... super!

_Lazza

As others have posted, if apple cider vinegar helps, Good For You!

I've been drinking two teaspoons of ACV + two teaspoons of honey mixed in warm water 2 X day for many months, possibly over a year.
I hoped it would lower my bad cholesterol, and if any other positives occurred, great.

Per bloodwork, bad cholesterol was lowered only marginally. Not detectable if it was due to ACV or just normal variance.

Beginning April 30, 2011, I began adding glycerin to my "beverage". I am convinced that it eliminated the psoriatic arthritis pain in my knees and greatly reduced it in my ankles.
Since I drank ACV long before including glycerin, for me apple cider vinegar did not help psoriatic arthritis pain.

Psoriasis? Not so much.

Glycerin applied topically is helping, but glaciers are speed demons in comparison.
It Does clear P in ears and on back of left hand. Has almost cleared back of right hand.

New information: After looking at lots of pictures, I think the speckles all over my torso and legs are guttate, as opposed to the plaques on my elbows and knees. ( If one kind is good, then two kinds gotta be better ... )

Just added cumin and tumeric to the shopping list - maybe I can look as good as Miss Mandy.
( yeah, right - and it could snow today, too )

thank you for the excellent article on ph

no prob nmountain. still drinking apple cider vinegar, 2 tbs 3 x daily. Inflamation is still reduced, noticed less "scaling" occuring overnight in the mornings. my derm md when i saw him thurs, sorta brushed it off. scales are still there, but less severe.
frik, if it helps, go for it. If you like the taste of vinegar, bonus ! :)

so how long have you been doing this? still getting results? i CAN"T STAND the smell/taste of vinegar so i wanna know before hand :D

and do i have to rub it on the skin? or drink it?

been drinking approx. 2 tbs of apple cider vinegar 3x a day for about a week. inflamation, redness and irritation are still dramatically reduced for me. from what ive read, acv turns into an alkaline during the metabolic process.
I shared some links on this thread about "body ph" on this thread. its not a "biologic", which I am considering, but it has decreased the "hurt" ive been enduring because of my psoriasis condition.

Organic Apple Cider Vinegar is great for lots of things. If the taste really bothers you, you can add a small amount of honey. Organic is the way to go with this stuff as the processed Vinegar has had all it's good stuff removed. Cheap and effective.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders