Ankle swelling - symptom of P, PA or both?

** Originally posted by ppt **

I have both PA and P. The P is bad on my legs and especially so from knee to ankle. Often, my right ankle will swell, occasionally my left one, and sometimes both at the same time. It typically reduces back to normal in a day or two or three...

Of course, it usually won't be swelling when I'm at a Dr, but the one time my internist saw it, he wasn't particularly concerned, although he ordered a peripheral vascular blood flow test which came back normal. He theorized it was due to the P or PA. I'm not getting pain in the ankles like I do the other joints where I seem to have PA e.g. hands, wrists, hips, feet. Is this swelling something that's normally associated with this disease?

On a related note, I've noticed when it swells, the elastic band on the top of my socks leaves a major indent on the skin. Guess it makes sense as it could impair circulation, although to me the elastic doesn't seem like it's that tight. Doesn't seem to matter whether it's the socks I wear for work or the more typical white athletic socks on the weekends. Thoughts?

Thanks

3 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by docmks **

I have both PA and P. The P is bad on my legs and especially so from knee to ankle. Often, my right ankle will swell, occasionally my left one, and sometimes both at the same time. It typically reduces back to normal in a day or two or three...

was due to the P or PA. I'm not getting pain in the ankles like I do the other joints where I seem to have PA e.g. hands, wrists, hips, feet. Is this swelling something that's normally associated with this disease?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Hi PPT

And welcome to the boards. I don't think we've "met" yet, so I wanted to say that we're glad you're here.

Great question! I have PA and P and one of my most consistent symptoms has been swelling of the ankles. Of course, they are also "red" and this can also be due to the fact that I have P plaques in varying states of development all over the outside of both ankles. In my case, I feel fairly certain that some of the inflammation is due to tendonitis. IN PA, often times it is swelling of tendon attachments that gives us as much trouble as actual "joint" pain (inside the joint). There are tendons that run on both sides of the ankle (around the tibia and fibula of the lower leg) and onto the foot itself. An enthesis is where the tendon attaches to the point. And inflammation of an enthesis is a hallmark symptom of PA. One other thing to look for (or actually feel for) is 'heat' around the joint. I am now noticing that my right ankle has an area over one of the joints that is hot. That might indicate something inside the joint.

Good luck to you and keep posting,
mk

** Originally posted by bbffrrpp **

Hello. About 10 years before I found out I had Psoriasis, I started having a problem dealing with the combination of heat & humidity (in New England we call it the 3H weather of summer). I saw several doctors and no one knew what was causing it or how to help. When I needed surgery in 1985, I asked the Vascular Surgeon about it. He told me it was called "Unknown Edema" -- and I was allergic to "heat and humidity." (I can't handle 3H weather, in general.) And, I have to wear sandals all summer - and try for April through October !

As I mentioned on other postings last week, I have a female friend who has had both Psoriasis and P. Arthritis since she was about 50 and she is now about 70. She believes that anyone with Psoriasis has a problem dealing with "hot weather." She said the "scaling" causes the skin not to be able to breathe correctly, etc.

I had never thought of this, but I believe it is possible ! Even though I had no symptoms or no knowledge of Psoriasis in 1985, it was less than 10 years later when I discovered the "rash" on my body. So, I'm beginning to wonder, as others have mentioned, whether Psoriasis is in your body - before it shows any outward signs of being there !

(I've always had very sensitive skin, also.)

Betty

near Lowell, MA

** Originally posted by Caki **

I have PPPP and PA. My PA is assymetrical on the right side, mostly in my wrist, knee and ankle. I find that my right ankle swells so much that my entire foot becomes swollen when the PPPP and/or PA is bad. Sometimes, it's just swollen even when things aren't bad at all, while my left ankle has no swelling whatsoever. Never have figured all of that out.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders