Alopecia Areata & Psoriasis connection?

** Originally posted by Paco386 **

Hey guys ...

I was pondering on my patio last night and something occurred to me that I had not realized before. Back in 2003, I visited a derm re: a small area of my scalp where I had lost some hair. It was perfectly smooth and round, and about the size of a quarter. I never even noticed this until I got one of my then-famous buzz cuts that summer and saw it in the mirror, and needless to say I was horrified. The derm told me that it was alopecia and that it could be a number of things that caused it. I do remember that being a particularly stressful time for me, and he thinks that could be it, being that I never had that happen before. He also said that the hair could grow back, and if it does, it will first grow back white until the pigment returns. Well, within a few months that is what exactly happened. Today I cannot even tell exactly where the patch was.

I would like to note here that during this same visit I expressed a concern about a small patch of dry skin on my elbow, which he explained was likely psoriasis. This was the only patch of psoriasis I had on my whole body at that time. What he did was inject it with some cortisone and that was that. (I visited him months later for P at which time it has grown some more and a Dovonex Rx was given).

About a year after that I found a new alopecia spot on another part of my scalp, again after a haircut :( ... I never went back to the derm for it, just waited it out and sure enough, it grew back white and then back to dark brown. In both instances I was able to get and use this product called Couvré, which is an alopecia coverup that comes in various tones to match your hair color and you apply to the scalp spots. It worked great! Only needed to use it during the times my spot was still visible. I wore my hair longer a lot during this time.

But I digress. My REAL question is whether anyone has ever had this experience or has heard of a connection between alopecia and P, especially scalp P. When I had alopecia both times, my scalp P was either nonexistent or minor enough for me to believe it was just dandruff which I controlled with shampoo. My scalp P worsened along with the rest of my body after that strep bout last Feb. I am thinking that perhaps the alopecia was a warning of worse things to come?

THANKS!

4 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by RichJ **

ho paco386'
sorry i can't help much but i can bump you to the top. maybe some one will come along and help with your ?

have a good night all

richard

** Originally posted by Emsmom **

Paco,
I don't know what the formal connection is, other than the fact that both are autoimmune diseases. That said, I also know that having just one stinks, never mind more than that. My daughter, like you, has alopecia and psoriasis. She also has arthritis. In Emily's case the psoriasis is the most mild of the diseases and has been the easiest to control.
Liz

** Originally posted by lynnylynny **

Hey guys ...

I was pondering on my patio last night and something occurred to me that I had not realized before. Back in 2003, I visited a derm re: a small area of my scalp where I had lost some hair. It was perfectly smooth and round, and about the size of a quarter. I never even noticed this until I got one of my then-famous buzz cuts that summer and saw it in the mirror, and needless to say I was horrified. The derm told me that it was alopecia and that it could be a number of things that caused it. I do remember that being a particularly stressful time for me, and he thinks that could be it, being that I never had that happen before. He also said that the hair could grow back, and if it does, it will first grow back white until the pigment returns. Well, within a few months that is what exactly happened. Today I cannot even tell exactly where the patch was.

I would like to note here that during this same visit I expressed a concern about a small patch of dry skin on my elbow, which he explained was likely psoriasis. This was the only patch of psoriasis I had on my whole body at that time. What he did was inject it with some cortisone and that was that. (I visited him months later for P at which time it has grown some more and a Dovonex Rx was given).

About a year after that I found a new alopecia spot on another part of my scalp, again after a haircut :( ... I never went back to the derm for it, just waited it out and sure enough, it grew back white and then back to dark brown. In both instances I was able to get and use this product called Couvré, which is an alopecia coverup that comes in various tones to match your hair color and you apply to the scalp spots. It worked great! Only needed to use it during the times my spot was still visible. I wore my hair longer a lot during this time.

But I digress. My REAL question is whether anyone has ever had this experience or has heard of a connection between alopecia and P, especially scalp P. When I had alopecia both times, my scalp P was either nonexistent or minor enough for me to believe it was just dandruff which I controlled with shampoo. My scalp P worsened along with the rest of my body after that strep bout last Feb. I am thinking that perhaps the alopecia was a warning of worse things to come?

THANKS!

Hi. I know it is years after you posted this but this is the first I saw of it.
Yes there IS a connection with the two. Alopecia areata is autoimmune against the hair follicle, so during a psoriatic flare up, it is not out of the realm of possibility that you could present this way. I am on my 4th qtr sized patch on my head. My flare up was triggered after I had a baby. The skin was smooth and no issue, but my shins have the typical psoriasis scaling and itching (I am dying) and I was recently diagnosed, even though my first alopecia patch was at age 14.
I guess it all makes sense now. I never had the skin presentation before, just the alopecia, and now at age 44, I have the skin itching and scaling.....so it is finally diagnosed. I knew something was going on that was autoimmune all of this time, but I was neg for SLE & RA.

** Originally posted by psoriasisonmybody **

I have psoriasis for sure and possible alopecia as well according to my derm. My hair does not grow, I'm 28 yo. My hair grows in little patches, other patches are totally smooth, so I have to shave my head every two days now otherwise it looks weird.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders