Alcohol and Psoriasis

Today I Googles Psoriasis and Alcohol and I came across a website where numerous people stated that when they gave up all alcohol their psoriasis went away. One man said his P disappeared by 50% after 7 days of no drinking. See this link, go half way down the page to see all 19 comments. There are 5 statements regarding P and Alcohol. Just thought I'd pass this on to you. Maybe it can help someone. I'm gonna take the plunge and see how it works for me.

http://www.psoriasis-aid.com/psoriasis/alcohol_and_psoriasis.html

16 replies. Join the discussion

I have not drank alcohol or caffeine in 2 years thinking my psoriasis would improve. It didn't, but, that's just me.

M

Well alcohol certainly makes my psoriasis worse, if I drink it everyday, even just one glass of wine. But every so often is OK and interestingly a very odd binge won't make much difference either. I have had periods of no alcohol lasting over a year and it has not cleared the psoriasis. It seems to be an irritant rather than anything worse. Staying low on alcohol is a good managing tactic for me.

i wouldn't be surprised if alcohol abuse contributed to psoriasis severity for some people. Alcohol is known to be involved in many diseases including cancer, liver disease, dementia, fetal alcohol syndrome and many others.

My psoriasis emerged in my early teen many years before I ever drank alcohol. I have never been a regular drinker but I have a rare binge at a party sometimes and I haven't noticed any obvious effects on my skin. There seems to be a lot of individual variation to this disease and what works for one doesn't work for all. I think if you are a heavy drinker there are far more compelling reasons to cut down than Psoriasis.

All good points. Thanks for sharing your view.

Well I guess you are getting some benefits out of not drinking alcohol or coffee. Better sleep would be my first guess!

Interesting. I have just had a major breakout and I have not drank any alcohol for about 15 years.

Ive commented on this more than once. I believe Psoriasis is an individualized disease, therefore what works for some, might not work for others. Ill give a run down of my personal experience regarding alcohol and P.

I have Guttate Psoriasis. I have had it for about 30 years with no remission (unless you count the summer time when I clear up from the sun). I have been a regular drinker since I was 16, only abstaining for more than a month on a couple occasions. With the exception of one time (SEVERE Strep outbreak, which equaled about 90% coverage), everytime I quit drinking I noticed a drastic improvement in my P. It didn't completely clear it up, so I dont think it's a cure or anything, but it definitely improved (<50%).

A few sidenotes: 1) I had P before I ever drank a drop of alcohol, so not a cause 2) I have Guttate, and maybe the type of P you have plays a factor regarding alcohol 3) If you dont have chronic P, I doubt abstaining from alcohol will make any difference. What I mean by that, is if you just get flare-ups (Strep induced, etc), not drinking isnt going to play any role in your clearance (IMO). 4) If you want to find out, just quit drinking for 30 days...

I hardly ever drank alcohol. What flares my p is stress & certain foods. I have smoked more than my share of mj though, and it did make me flare up too. Havent smoked it but a couple times in the last 4 years now. I do drink a lot of coffee. I think we shouldn't make our bodies work any harder than they already are right now. I sure wish mine would quit attacking itself though. Sometimes I think about smoking a bowl but I'm already so fatigued from mtx I probably would put myself in a coma. If not, I'd just want more when it wore off. I hate alcohol so no problem there. This is a lame reply...

alcohol, coffee and colas are very acidic. an acidic body can promote bad things.
moderation is key.

Actually, I love your honesty! I find that the people on this forum are really down to earth and honest.

As of last night I quit. I am so sick and tired of drinking anyway. If it clears my P, good for me, if not, atleast I have one less thing to worry about. Maybe some of my stress will go away. Thanks for all of your information.

Alcohol, some foods, stress, coffee are factors that increase intestinal permeability (leaky gut ) and allow gluten and other food particles to cross the weakened mucosal barrier and trigger inflammation. My nail and scalp psoriasis started at the age of 10, long before I started to drink and cleared after I went gluten and alcohol free 30 years later. It is tough to quit but worth it. Light psoriasis is sometimes considered as a cosmetic defect however the cause of it - impaired intestinal barrier is a serious issue that can trigger many autoimmune diseases.

Thanks for the interesting information SoupHero. Going Gluten free is my next step. I've done it before for 2 years. I have kids now and it is very hard to do but I must do it!

I have very severe pustular psorasis coving the bottoms of my feet. Somedays it is so hard to wak and hardly can put on shoes. I quit drinking for 8 weeks and my feet looked 80% better, still itchy and red but no new breakouts. I got a little stressed and gave in, slowly increasing my alcohol consumption a little a time and my feet look worse each day. However I also was sticking to a very strict diet at that time so I cannot say for certain it was the removal of alcohol or the diet. I am planning on quitting drinking again on Monday and see how it goes. I also smoke and have read that smoking makes PP much worse. When I am not drinking I also cut my smoking down considerably so that may be a key factor as well. I'm going to give it a try! Best of luck to everyone out there that suffers like I do!

I quit drinking 15 years ago and it did nothing for me. Well, I wake up in the mornings feeling a whole lot better, but nothing for the psoriasis. The hardest part of quiting is losing your social life. People just do not like people not drinking with them. The view of many is if you're not drinking then wtf are you doing here? There's various reasons for that, but it's a fact of life. The thing is though that drunks don't notice much of anything. You can blend in easily enough. The mistake many make is they don't try blending in and can't withstand the ensuing onslaught. They have to either resume drinking or give up their social life. Giving up the alcohol itself is really pretty trivial assuming you're not actually physically addicted to it. If you suffer alcohol withdraw though you really ought to quit for more important reasons than your psoriasis.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders