alcohol and methotrexate

Does anyone have any experience with consuming alcohol while on methotrexate? I know most say it is harmful.....but are there safe levels of consumption? Alcohothe is not essential in my life but it does add quality. For instance ....margaritas on vacation, a beer or two on the boat while fishing....dinner with friends....please share your experiences.

13 replies. Join the discussion

I wouldn't drink anything. I was in methotrexate and had liver screening every week. Believe me I love my wine but its not worth it.

Always best to speak to your doc but I limit myself to a couple drinks a month. And sometimes I'll have hubby pick me up some good non-alcoholic beer (becks & St Pauli girl versions are both great) if I know we're going to cookout or something so I can still enjoy a nice cold beer or two without the worry.

We only have one liver ...

I stopped metho for two weeks before New Years Eve and enjoyed a couple of margaritas.

Even if I could tolerate more, that would be of no guidance for you.

Or, there is a reason blood tests are required while on methotrexate.

yea dont drink alcohol with meto, i loved drinking but my doctor made it very clear to not drink, but i would have 1-2 drinks tho peer pressure.

my doc said one to two drinks a week was ok-especially if you consumed with a meal and drank water....

Don't do it !

You probably could get away with 1-2 drinks a week. However, if you are one of the unlucky ones who can't handle it then you are risking liver failure/death. I caved and had a beer or two when I was on mtx, and am still alive. Just make sure you get a blood test in the following week just in case.

I didn't drink anything for over 6 months when I started on Mtx, then when I went to 2 monthly liver tests because they where coming back fine I asked about the odd glass of wine and was told it would be ok on rare occasions.

So now I have the odd glass of wine when out for dinner. Sometimes a margarita after work with friends. but NEVER right after I take the mtx. I usually take mine on wed, so sometimes have a drink friday or sat evenings. But I always pay attention to how I am feeling first.. if my PA is flaring or I just feel 'off' then I don't go near alcohol. I also have a light beer occasionally after mowing the lawns (here is aus light means LOW alcohol levels, not low carbs like in the states)

Binging is BAD BAD BAD.. I have recently been going through a very rough time (husband of 18 years left me and I had to sell my home, car died etc etc) and stupidly went on a bit bender after an especially bad day. I was VERY VERY sick for days afterwards and ended up not taking my mtx that week and my PA flared like mad.. NOT a good idea!

Natalie

I have had my methotrexate stopped because of alcohol. You really can't drink while you are on it. The damage to your liver is too severe. I find it hard because often alcohol lets me sleep better than the medication, however to give the medication a fair go you have to give up drinking. I think it is worth giving it a go because when you start to feel better you don't need to mask your pain with alcohol.

Don't do it, it's to risky. If you just have to drink then stop taking mtx.

Thank you all for sharing. I know all the doctor recommendations. But I still trust experienced people more. Does the methotrexate work well for you guys? If it is a miracle drug for p and pa then it seems worth the sacrifice. But not if it just helps a little. I know everyone is different but im interested in hearing your results. Thanks!

For me, it helped slightly. I'm still on 15mg a week of mtx, but also started humira every other week because the mtx alone wasn't doing a whole lot for me and my joint pain. Even with this new combo of meds (since late Feb) I've yet to have a pain free day, but it's better than without them. I hope you're able to find something that helps!

partial success for me. STill had feet swelling and some swelling in finger--decided to stop it and go to Enbrel.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders