7 months WITHOUT psoriasis

I waited this long to post anything on any site because I wanted to be sure it was actually real....but diet seems to have worked for me. I had fingernail psoriasis along with psoriasis on the palms of my hands and bottoms of my feet. I also had numerous spots on my legs/ankles. I tried every cream you could imagine, along with doctor prescribed medication. The medication would work, but within a week or two the psoriasis would be back. I went on a gluten free diet in January and haven’t had an outbreak in over 7 months, including my fingernails growing back out normal again (what a HUGE RELIEF!). I’m not saying I’m cured, or that this will work for everyone, but 7 months without psoriasis has been WONDERFUL, to say the least. It’s not easy to cut out gluten, so it’s best to research how to do it, but I’d say it’s worth it. I didn't actually go on the diet to lose the psoriasis, I was just trying a new diet and exercise program. Well, I’m 33lbs lighter and without psoriasis! Loving life…

I'm not much of a blogger as I work a lot and am very busy, but I will try to check back here and there. If you do an internet search on gluten free diets, you will get more info than you can imagine. It's not easy at first, but once you get it down it just becomes the new normal. I don't even have to think about it now. And, when I crave some old favorite food, all I have to do is remember how horrific the psoriasis was and it's easy to overcome the craving. Give it a shot, I'd love to know if it works for others.

32 replies. Join the discussion

I should also add, that I don't buy all the "gluten-free" labeled junk either. It's processed garbage. It seems to have turned into a fad with all these companies jumping on the bandwagon with cookies, pretzels, breads, etc... I avoid all that and stick with whole unprocessed foods. For carbs, I'm eating tons of vegetable and fruits (especially when I have a sweet tooth) along with things like brown rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, beans, nuts and seeds. I know it seems tough (it was for me), but anything to rid yourself of, or lessen the impact of psoriasis is worth it in my opinion. Again, after a month or two, the new diet becomes the new normal.

I did gluten free for a while, and it didn't work. I will try again! Thanks!

jmkcrk, I agree with you. I am on the same diet. Brown rice, no meat, no fish, more veggies, less sugar, less salt. on top of it.. on ayurvedic meds.. i am not sure what is helping..
but i see 70% improvement in last 6 months..

Miusuu, it's a complicated diet at first and wheat gluten can show up in very unexpected places. You need to read every label and of course put the time in to research everything and learn as much as possible.

Vijay, I do eat meat (lean protein), but yes, very little sugar and sodium.

Hi,
Thank you for sharing your experience of being gluten free. I will need to study the diet. It won't be easy, but I'm ready for some relief. I think diet would help, but don't know if mine will ever leave. I feel like my blood pressure medication keeps it irritated, and I have to stay on it to live.

Glad ya'll are having success with the diet. I have been hearing more about leaky gut syndrome. I think that could be a major problem for people with psoriasis. Mainly stay off potatoes, wheat, grains, sweets, and dairy.

westtexaswoman

So glad you've gotten some relief. I went for 7 years without even the slightest hint of psoriasis, then it returned with a vengence. I'm taking MTX and Humira which have it about 99% controlled. I haven't tried a gluten free diet, but it sounds like it may be worth a try. Congrats to you and I hope your success continues.

I'm so glad the gluten free diet is working for your P. I've been off of gluten for about a year now and it doesn't seem to help my P, but it definitely helps my PA. All I need is one slip up with a gluten laden food and I have joint pain.

I have tried Pagano diet and wheat free at the same time, but found it very hard long-term. I saw good results though. Leaving out the Nightshades was very hard work for me.

Did you also take any supplements ? So you had no wheat and no processed food, how about alcohol ? I agree that those wheat free processed products are really bad, the ingredients are very scientific looking.

I am really pleased you are 7 months clear. Just shows diet does work for some - i love hearing these success stories.

I am so happy for you!! Removing gluten has also helped me tremendously, however I still have P on the palm of my right hand and that requires my giving up coffee/cream in the morning. I'm working on doing that soon (mentally). Other than that, the huge patch on my ankle disappeared completely once I gave up gluten and I've noticed that when I do eat gluten (when I've slipped up in the past) my neck and scalp itch like crazy. So, gluten is a definite no no for me. Good for you giving this a try and succeeding! I wish you many more months/years of being clear!

Sunlily: Try So Delicious coconut milk coffee creamer. Comes in hazelnut and vanilla Divine.

Susiquery,
I am not crazy about the ingredient "Carrageenan" in the product you mention above. This is just one read on it...
http://blog.healthkismet.com/carrageenan-cancer-health-inflammation

I do think perhaps Thai organic coconut milk might be good in coffee? Otherwise I may try to give coffee up, still working on that. Or, heaven forbid, drink it black! LOL!

Hi Kernimac,
How long did it take for your Psoriasis clear up on Humira and what is MTX?
Thanks so much.
MrsAngell

Oh crap Sunlily. Thanks or the link.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I think you have to do what works for you. Perfection is too hard to achieve even in diet! I don't always eat perfect. I continue to try and improve my diet but I am human and have slip ups. Would love to be P free though! Especially on the palm of my hand, it is painful.

Sunlily. You're right about a perfect diet and what seems to work for one. I've given up so much so I'll stick to my creamer. I'm about 85% better on my diet after off Humira (been almost 7 months now) All organic, gluten,dairy and sugar (just a titch on that-dark chocolate 85% cocaco , coconut milk ice bars. gluten free chocolate chip cookies). Lost 25 pounds, no acid reflux(never had that before) and blood panels in normal range. Was pre diabetic and high cholesterol. That stubborn spot on palm of my hand. Use colobatasol for two weeks when it's impossible, then vaseline. Really helps to break up the inflammation and pain. I know that some say you can get a rebound effect with steroid creams, but I never stuck out the two weeks. My derm said it's less harmful on feet and hands because it's so darn hard to penetrate those areas. I only go there very infrequently. Whatever, cheers!

I'd say you are doing fantastic and keep doing what you are doing! : )
I'm still using my half and half creamer in my coffee! I just can't give it up quite yet. One step at a time. What are coconut milk ice bars? They sound good! Dark chocolate is GOOD for you so that is fine.

Sunlily: Coconut milk ice cream covered in dark choc. with pieces of coconut. Again, So Delicious brand. Seems to do ok. It's my reward.

MrsAngell, I took Enbrel for 4 months and it did nothing for me. When I was switched to Humira, I had immediate clearing (within 2-3 weeks if I remember correctly). The MTX was added a couple of months later and helped clear up the final few patches. I'm loving life again. :)

MTX is methotrexate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methotrexate

THank you so much for letting me know! That is so helpful. I wish you continued success!!!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders