3 1/2 year old ; new psoriasis

** Originally posted by gkb23 **

My almost 4yo daughter was recently diagnosed with psoriasis and I am at a loss as to how to proceed. It does not seem too bad right now but it is flaring up. It seems to be worse on her elbows and is starting up on her knees. What are her treatment options? The doctor does not want to be overly aggressive at her age and has recommended generous moisturizing. Is there a cream that is better than others? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

11 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by jjmesser **

Hi, and welcome to the forum. While no one ever wants to join this group, it is always nice to know there are others out here who share in your experience and understand what you are going through. About your daughter, has she been tested for a strep infection, because that can trigger an outbreak sometimes. And it prevents improvement if the strep is left untreated. A round of antibiotics might be all she needs. As far as meds to use, there are a lot of topicals out there, but I'm not sure which should be used on such a young child. I know others will weigh in on this issue.

Jody

** Originally posted by Chasesmommy **

Sorry to hear about your daughter, I must tell you I have been in your shoes. My son is now 4 and has had P since he was 2, when he was first diagnosed he had a mild case and Dovonex cream was prescribed. However it did nothing for him and after a few months he was covered and considered to have a severe case. My best advise for you is to find a pediatric dermatologist, the derma that my son initially had advised me there was nothing she could due because of his age. After many weeks of crying and being up all night with my son who could not quit scratching I decided to look for a new doctor. We are from a small town in West Virginia, I drive 8 hrs to the University of Virginia Childrens Hospital to see a pediatric derm. there. I know your daughters P is not severe but if it does become severe please dont panic my son had the worse they had seen and with close treatment he is 100% clear now. If you need anything or have questions let me know!. I would try Cetaphil lotion and soap it helps some and maybe ask for a perscription of Dovonix

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi gkb23,
sorry to here of your daughters p and sorry i can't help much but welcome to the p family. you have met some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you

have a good night all

richard

** Originally posted by twinieten **

My almost 4yo daughter was recently diagnosed with psoriasis and I am at a loss as to how to proceed. It does not seem too bad right now but it is flaring up. It seems to be worse on her elbows and is starting up on her knees. What are her treatment options? The doctor does not want to be overly aggressive at her age and has recommended generous moisturizing. Is there a cream that is better than others? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome gkb. Sorry about your daughter! How bad is it? What was she diagnosed with? I don't know how much help I can be becuase I am feeling utterly lost myself, even though I've been living this for 2 years now, and I've been searching for something that'll work for the last few months.

My 7 year old son was diagnosed 2 years ago, and it's gotten worse over the years. His problem area is his right hand, and he also has p on his legs, trunk and penis. Although he was diagnosed with guttate psoriasis (gp), I beleive his disease had progressed to chronic plaque p. He had p on his feet too, but they have since cleared up using PUVA (UVA with the topical drug psoralen that makes the skin senestive to the UVA radiation).

Did your doctor tell you that a p flare can start after an illness such as strep? You should probably have your daughter tested for a strep infection. They'll take a throat swab, but make sure they do a lab culture and not the quick test they do in the office. They will tell you it's just as accurate but it's not (our quick tests have been negetive twice but lab culture is positive). Sometimes if there is an underlying strep infection, the p will not heal and nothing you throw at it will help. Sometimes a round of antibiotics will do the trick. Sometimes longer times are required.

Second, I would highly recommend you check out this thread. http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21567. You'll have to read a bit, but the short version is, some people are having great sucess with psorolin ointment (not the same as the psoralen used in PUVA) and 777 oils from Garry-N-Sun. http://garrysun.com/jawahar.html. These products are all natural and safe to use on children, though I'm not sure if diluting with something like coconut oil is a good idea. You can contact them and they could tell you how to use the products safely on children. I was going to order some today but I was out all day and didn't get the chance.

My history. Topical steroids ranging from the mild to the strong for a year. We've even used the strongest, Clobex, with no results. We've used Dovonex with no results. After the first year went by, I started to get more aggressive in trying to find soemthing that will help. We started using PUVA back in June of this year (got a home unit in August). I don't know if it would be an option if my son had full body coverage at his age. He jsut does it on his hand and feet. Other phototherepy options would be Narrow Band UVB (what I'd be doign right now if I could) and Broad Band UVB. I'll answere any questions you have about those if you'd like.

With PUVA, like I said, his feet cleared up but his hand has not had the same results.

This is what I'm doing right now. I changed our diet to be primarily whole food, and eliminated processed foods and sugar. I read labels more now than ever! Seems everything has corn syrup in it! We still have our treats, but mostly, healthy, whole food.

I contacted Dr. Madelene Heng (she does free consults by email) at http://psoriagold.com/site/. She recommended I use topical steriods as prescribed by my son's derm, add an anti fungal lotramin (stuff used for jock itch), Keflex (an antibiotic) and Psoria Gold, and up his daily zinc to an adult dose. Psoria Gold is quite a bit more pricey than the Garry-N-Sun products, but since I had already contacted her and ordered it, I decided to wait on the psorolin and 777 oil. Psoria Gold contains curcumin which is extracted from the spice Tumeric. It's supposed to be very good for inflammation.

We have had little to no sucess in the past few months, but since starting Keflex 8 days ago, and using all of the other products along with Psoria-Gold things are looking so much better!! I'm being cautiously optimistic. We've seen improvement before only to see it get bad again. But so far, so good. I even managed to get 10 more days of antibiotic, and should things continue on this track, I might get more, if the doctors will go for it. I hate the idea of long term use of antibiotics, but Dr. Heng beleives that the antibiotic will help while the skin repairs itself, and it should only take a month or two.

I hope to be able to post good progress results in a few more weeks.

As for creams, my favorites are CereVe and Miracle Hand. Both seem to last longer. CereVe is expensive, but it's worth it. Get the cream, not the lotion. CereVe also has a skin barrier ingredient in it, dimethicone, that helps protect the skin from allergens.

I would also recommend you get in to see a naturopathic doctor if you can, to try to get this p under control before it gets worse. You may also want to consider allergy testing. You'd want to get one that looks at both IgG and IgE for the best accuracy. Sometimes a trigger for p can be a certain food or drink. Add suppliments to her diet like fish oil, and zinc.

I hope this helps. Try not to get overwhelmed (easy to do) and ask any questions you want. Feel free to PM me if you'd like. We are all here to help! MikeK will come along soon and will have tons of usefull information for you. You'll have lots to digest.

hi drea,
i will bump this thread to the top and see if mike can help

have a good night all

richard

** Originally posted by gkb23 **

Thank you to everyone who has given their support and advice. We are in a bit of a holding pattern right now. I plan on seeking out a pediatric derm to address the treatment issues. Currently we are just using moisturizer at night and in the mornings. Her lesions are not that big but they are beginning to get a little scaley feeling. One thing that surprised me was that the fact that scratching it can spread it...not due to contagion but by potentially damaging the already p prone skin. When we were in the office, emma was sitting on my lap and I was gently running my fingers up and down her arms and the doctor said "that is a very loving thing you are doing, but it can make this condition worse." But anyway, thanks again to everyone.

** Originally posted by theskinyouarein **

Have a young son with severe P & PA. From my own experience, I would say your daughter needs all your hugs, strokes and kisses right about now. I have never heard, though I am still "new" with the dx, that gently rubbing your child's skin can worsen it. There is a condition (can't remember the name) where if skin is injuried (trauma, scratching, etc) the P can get worse. That's one reason that derm likes to minimize itching which can particularly bad during sleep. Good luck.

** Originally posted by twinieten **

Have a young son with severe P & PA. From my own experience, I would say your daughter needs all your hugs, strokes and kisses right about now. I have never heard, though I am still "new" with the dx, that gently rubbing your child's skin can worsen it. There is a condition (can't remember the name) where if skin is injuried (trauma, scratching, etc) the P can get worse. That's one reason that derm likes to minimize itching which can particularly bad during sleep. Good luck.

I think you are referring to the Koebner effect where injury or trauma to the skin can lead to a p lesion. I agree with you. Stroking, touching or rubbing p won't make it worse. Picking and scratching at it can.

** Originally posted by mintona **

hi

read this and i hope it helps

http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21483&highlight=moms+read

and bump

Andrew

** Originally posted by DeSilva **

This is admittedly a late reply, but I just joined and felt compelled to respond to your earlier posting. I am now 33 years old, but was diagnosed with psoriasis when I was 5. For what it's worth (and I do realize this was treatment occurring in the late 1970's), I was given a topical, steroidal treatment after my initial diagnosis. This regimen worked fairly well, but burned like crazy! We eventually discovered that keeping it moisturized with regular lotion was the best daily treatment, primarily because it kept the inflamed tissue somewhat in check and because it immediately helped with the social response I received from other kids. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that the steroidal treatments did work in limited doses for me, and keeping in mind the treatment was relatively limited, I had no ill-effects from receiving said treatment at such a young age.

I'd also like to tell you about the great response I recently had to Dovonex (synthetic vitamin D ointment). It was much more expensive than the steroidal treatments I usually end up using when I have moderate-severe flare-ups, but it worked great (and fast!) without the detrimental side-effects associated with steroidal creams. I know if I had a child with psoriasis, I would seek this treatment out first with the pediatrician.

Lastly, I would agree with the sentiment I've read in posted replies to your message - giving your child lots of love and support is the best therapy of all. It truly does make a difference!!!

Hope some of this helps and I wish you and your child the best of luck!

hi desilva,
welcome to the p family. you have met some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

have a good day all

richard

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders