voice box polyps

Anyone get really hoarse ans then go to the ENT and find out you have polyps on your voice box? I also have enlarged glands around ears and cheeks.
Surgery scheduled for next week. Weird disease. So much fatigue and body wide pain involved.

22 replies. Join the discussion

I have voice box polyps but chose not to have surgery. Have a deep voice and cannot sing. Other than that it is not debilitating.

I have the polyps on the vocal cords and in my sinus cavities. Be aware that they may return. . . I've had the sinus polyps removed 3 times. I decided to leave the polyps on my vocal cords - I am a little hoarse. The sarc has also closed by tear ducts, wihch I also had surgery to re-open. Good Luck

Thanks. Just found out my parotid gland on the left side seems to be closed and swollen. Such a weird disease.

Rattie, June of 2012 I had a polyp removed off my left vocal cord you can't talk for 7 days I used a dry eraser board to communicate a surgery with no pain maybe slIght sore throat no promblem after I had it done

Thanks. That is a relief. Little worried; because I don't feel well and just had mediasternoscopy not long ago. With all we have going on I am having problems getting my medical retirement approved. This site helps with the stress and just keep going along; doctor has been great and is supporting me. Thanks for your input.

Anyone also have parotid gland swelling and pain. Look a little like a chip monk.

Should have the polyps biopsied for granulomatous tissue... Laryngeal sarc is extremely rare - and it usually does not involve the larynx itself (although it is called laryngeal sarc). The only way to know for sure it is not sarc, is biopsy.

He is going to send polyp for biopsy. My grandpa; who was a heavy smoker had voice box cancer. So just in case. He also wants to see if sarc happens to be the cause.

Please keep me updated Rattie. I have laryngeal sarc (over 30 years), always looking for someone to talk to about it... very few with that type. Hope it is nothing serious though......

Thank you and I will. Surgery scheduled for next week.

I have been hoarse for three weeks...seeing an ENT on Tuesday. I had an upper respiratory infection and Ear infections 5 weeks ago. My ears are no longer infected but still feel stuffy with occasional achiness. The hoarseness began after I was done with antibiotics and cough medicines. (I have been coughing for two years now.)

I went back to my pcp and spoke with my pulmy. Pulmy tells me to take mucinex! They never think any other symptoms are related to my sarc but I really think they are! I'm going to insist they look at my sinuses for sarc. I am always stuffy and my nasal passages are always irritated. I've been told before its nasal allergies.....not so sure anymore.

Keep us posted please!

I was hoarse also. I had sinus infection and he used small scope to look at voice box; it was too swollen to tell. A couple of months later I was still hoarse and this has been going on for 6 months. I couldn't get into same ENT. But his colleague and he checked and seen polyp. His daughter has sarc and knows more about the disease. Just lucky to have found him. Seems I also have it in my parotid glands also. If they don't go down with antibiotics and sour yucky candy. He will also biopsy; but really easy since they are so close to the skin. Will let you know when biopsy report comes back. Thanks

What does having the biopsy of the voice box involve? Do you need anaesthetic? I found the lung bronchioscopy caused my sarcoidosis to flare up quite badly though it was good to get the illness confirmed as sarcoidosis. They sprayed a foul liquid onto my throat to numb it before sending the tube down the throat and then applied the general anaesthetic into a small pipe that had been inserted into a vein in my hand.

Outpatient surgery. They put you under and he said it takes an hour or less.

So Rattie, with the glands next to your ears....did you have an aching feeling and fullness in your ears? Any jaw pain?
Did you experience an unusually dry mouth, especially when asleep? I awake several times a night because my mouth has no saliva at all. It started while on the antibiotic for my ear/ sinus infections. I am a nose breather using a CPAP with a humidifier in it.

Noticed sinus problems and swelling. There was pain in jaw and around ears. Antibiotic seemed to help a little; but swelling has not gone down. Mouth is dry and much worse at night. I don't have a CPAP; but my mom does and she gets dry and also seems to bother her eyes. At first they are thinking infection of the gland or blocked duct. Wait and see now.

Your symptoms are the same as mine! The gland around ers is a salivary gland.
Did thy look at your sinuses to see if you have sarc there?

Good luck and we need to keep each other posted.

I do have a deviated septum; but doctor does believe I will have chronic infections until sarc is under control. He does believe there is involvement; just doesn't want to out me through more scoping at this time.

Thanks and I will update.

Received biopsy back today. It did show granulating disease with lymphocytes cells and swelling and the doctor said it looked like sarc. Parotid glands are also affected. So I am just doing monitoring at this time. He does believe it will grow back in the future.

Now I am having the Vitamin D problems with low D, high hormone and calcium. Thyroid is borderline; with slightly high T3. Doctor is going to keep monitoring and send me to rheumatologist for joint pain and fatigue. See if muscles and joints are also involved.

Thanks

if vocal polyps detected early ..Prednisone for 2 months and voice therapy + excercies+yoga +good hydration.. few months polyps will resolved completly without surgery..

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders