Vagus Nerve

Does anyone know if stimulation of the vagus nerve has a connection with sarcoidosis? I've had problems for years which I think are related to vagus nerve stimulation (dizziness, nausea, cold sweat, vertigo, vomiting, fainting). I'll be talking with my doctor this week about this. Do any of you have these symptoms and what do you do to control them? Thanks.

Michele

5 replies. Join the discussion

The Vagus nerve (Cranial nerve, or CN, X) can play a role in lots of ways, but what you're describing would be a bit of a mixed bag for it. On branch goes to the heart and can be responsible for fainting and lightheadedness if blood pressure drops (vasovagal syncope). Another branch goes to the stomach and would play a role in nausea and vomiting. The vertigo (assuming you mean room spinning type vertigo) is more commonly associated with the vestibulocochlear nerve (CN VIII) and that can also cause dizziness/lightheadedness, nausea, vomiting, etc. The cold sweat is a bit interesting as well.

Do you already carry a diagnosis of neurosarc? CN VIII is one of the more common nerves affected in that.

Symptom control would depend on what the actual source is. There are medicines for most of the symptoms, but they would really only be useful if you were taking the right one for the right cause (e.g. phenergan for nausea from vagus nerve, antivert for CN VIII symptoms). It might be good to not hone in on just the vagus nerve at this point but to make sure you identify the right source of the symptoms.

Hi Paradox,

Thanks for responding. I don't currently have a diagnosis of neurosarc. It's very interesting to learn that CN VIII is one of the more common nerves affected in neurosarc. An ENT, after several tests, diagnosed me as having a 47% loss of power in my left ear, and he wrote "Meniere's?" in my chart.

Michele

Meniere's is another extremely rare condition that isn't all that well understood (I have a friend with a bad case). The hallmark symptom of Meniere's is a ringing in the ears though. It can come and go, but it's pretty persistent and annoying. Terrible vertigo and associated nausea with it as well. I'm glad to know it's in the back of the ENT's mind for now.

hi michele - don't know if you have read my history, but i had severe nausea (no vomiting), chills, an odd sort of dizziness (but not vertigo) for quite a while - felt continuously like one feels just before fainting. only dx was "autonomic neuropathy of unknown etiology". felt so very sick that i lost 90 lbs, could hardly cope. this was miraculously helped by neurontin in large doses and small doses of oxycontin. have no idea whether this would help anyone else.

Hi singernmore,

Thanks for your input. Neurontin keeps coming up and I'm going to talk with my doctor about taking it again. I was taking it for headaches (600 mg.) but it didn't seem to help. Also, I probably should be on an anti-seizure medication as I have a history of seizures (last one was 1988). What is the dosage you take?

I was tested for autonomic neuropathy and it came back negative. I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy.

Your spells do sound a lot like mine. You lost 90 lbs. - OMG! Weight loss has been a consistent problem for me in the past decade or so. I keep losing around 10 lbs. because of nausea, and then gaining it back when I feel better. Steriods would probably prevent that from happening, but believe me I'm not interested in going that route.

I don't recall if I've read about your symptoms. Do you have neurosarcoid? Be thankful you've never had vertigo, and I hope you don't get it. It's spinning hell.

Michele

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders