Up late with heartburn / GERD -- Aughhhhh!

For the last three days I've been fighting heartburn. Tonight if I try to go to bed I will have to sleep sitting up. Anyone else experience heartburn like this and do you know what triggers it? Any natural cures that work for you?
Thanks

Edited December 12, 2008 at 2:40 am

22 replies. Join the discussion

My homeopath put me on to a GERD supplement called GI Microb-X that contains tribulis terrestris, sweet wormwood (artemesia), magnesium caprylate, berberine sulfate, grapefruit seed extract, barberry, bearberry and black walnut and that seems to do a fantastic job for me.

I used to also be an another supplement from the same company called GI Mend-HP, that was to get rid of the H. Pyllori in my stomach. I know that H.P is considered a precursor to ulcer, and now I have been able to discontinue use of that supplement. Prescription or OTC, two fewer capspules a day is a good thing.

I haven't found either supplement in stores, but you can find them on the internet. I'm assuming you don't need a doctor's RX for them.

It's cheaper than Prevacid, which was the only drug I found that worked. Maybe I really did need to attack the HP first in order for the GERD to become controlled. I know I'm happy to pay less for the supplement than the prescription.

I didn't like taking Prevacid all the time, when the caution stated you should only use it temporarily, but if I stopped the GERD came right back. Good luck to you!

It was almost a nightly thing with me. I tolerated it fairly well in the daytime but then I started waking up at night coughing. My Dr ordered a chest x ray and a MRI to be sure the coughing wasn't from the sars in my lungs. He put me on Prevacid. I took one at night before I ate. It stopped immediately. I took this about 2 months and I had him write a prescription for omeprazole. It worked just as well and it cost me $4.00 where the Prevacid was more expensive. Now I only take it once in a while. I also stopped drinking coffee after breakfast. I think this irritated my stomach. I started drinking green tea instead. I didn't like it at first but now I do. Good Luck.

I suffered horribly with "Gerd" and was put on Nexium. My doctor suspected I had a Hiatal Hernia, maybe from hard coughing for over a year, and or from the big weight gain aquired from Prednisone. Then while at an appt with my Pumonary doctor he was showing me the latest CT scan, and whoa! There it was! So large and going right into my chest. It will never go away I'm told. Along with several problems arising, It is now another part of this wonderful disease. Get that Gerd under control. Long term acid reflux can be very bad for your esophagus.

Hi, I have have been taking Zantac for years it helps but does not cure it, just decided to take control of this GERD as much as possible and altered my diet and exercise (well as much as I can ) but it only helps for a short while then it s back again, there is no end to this horrid condition if it is not one thing it is another! I just keep hoping it will go away, or at least go into a remission for a while, sorry this sounds so depressing but at this present time I am so fed up with it and witht my COPD I wonder what on earth is ahead for me.

Yes, I fight this heartburn all the time. I also sleep sitting up at times. I take 2 prescription tablets of Prilosec (40 mg), every day. And at Bed time a Zantac. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. The pain is awful. I know what your going through, your miserable. I went to the emergency room one time after spending 3 days (24/7) in pain. They took lots of tests, that gave them no answers to my pain. I was given a linocane cocktail that really helped, but only lasted for about 15 minutes. They said, they couldn't give me a prescription for linocane. So I went home and suffered again. I went to the GI Doctor that week and he dilated (stretched) my esophagus. That helped a little. Now my primary care thinks I have pancreas sarcoidosis, because the 2 enzymes amalase (198) and Lipase (91) that your pancreas make are elevated. Can't find a doctor to help me. I've been through 3 GI doctors, and they just don't care, or just don't know what to do. They just keep adjusting my prescription.

I hope you get some relief soon. I can totally relate to your pain. Good luck!

I too have it very bad! It got worse when I started Magnesium for my heart. I take an OTC acid reducer works great! I know its not a natural remedy but it does work.

Hi guys with acid reflux or GERD,
Hey any naturapathics out there? There are theories that when someone has 'indigestion', it's actually a matter of too little acid to digest your food. As we get older, our acid output decreases, so in order to determine if you have too much or too little acid in you system: next time you have heartburn, take about half a lemon and squeeze it in a half glass of water. Drink it down, and if the heartburn goes away shortly afterwards, then you need to be taking a suppliment of hydrocloric acid, or HCI. You can get it at the healthfood store. If you have too much acid, you can take either powdered calcium or tablets to nutralize the excess acid. However, remember that when you nutralize the acid, the food in your stomach will not be able to be digested until more acid can come to digest it. So in otherwords, the food in your stomach will just putrify (rot). So try not to eat at least an hour and a half before laying down at night. Okay? Hope this helps. I don't like to take prescription meds, if at all possible. Some herbs, like Comfrey, also help with indigestion. Google indigestion and herbs or suppliments. It's cheaper than meds, too.
Mary

If you've been on prednisone for any length of time it causes damage to the stomach lining and also affects the sphinctor that prevents the back flow of stomach acids to the esophagus, which is not designed to handle acids. That is what causes acid reflux and the pain associated with it. Taking medications to reduce these acids should relieve your discomfort and pain and also save your esophagus.

I experienced the heart burn at random times but most often at night. Several episodes were so bad I thought I was having a heart attack, really scary. Discussed it with my doctor and she prescribed Nexium. But I have not taken it yet - hate taking more meds. Sounds crazy, but I discovered that if I drink ice water as soon as the pain starts, it goes away without taking any meds. Works for me so far, do not know if it would work for anyone else, but just thought I would mention my experience.

Thank everyone for sharing. I just started dealing with this indigestion problem and didn't know what was going on. All I know is that I have been in a lot of pain. My problem is not as much as night as it is when I finish eating. I had an attack so bad after lunch yesterday that I was afraid to eat dinner. I will try some of the natural aids listed here. Hopefully, it will help. I don't know who is the biggest monster Sarc or Prednisone but together they are destroying my body and my life.

There are several websites but here is one that has a list of foods to avoid for people with acid reflux or GERD:

http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/features/heartburn-foods-to-avoid

I also have a hiatal hernia which I was told is hereditary and my mom and grandmother also had it. It always makes me feel like I have something sitting on the top lining of my stomach even if I haven't eaten anything. It feels uncomfortable. My primary doctor diagnosed it by just feeling it during an exam. Not much to do about it unless it gets really bad and then there is surgery. I am not there yet that I know of.

I know if I stay away from those foods listed and don't eat 2 or more hours before bed along with a prescription acid reflux medicine, it is tolerable. I don't take prednisone so I can't blame it on my digestive issues. Good luck and I hope you find something that gives you relief.

Thank you everyone -- especially for info on cures and foods to avoid (thanks pamk). All info is appreciated.

In the past a couple of years ago, I was on Nexium, but it made ill and I had abdominal pain. My OBGYN told me she had the same problem with Nexium. My GI doc put me on Acidphex, which was much better, but I finally got off of it after making a real push to get better. I thought I had this licked. This attack was the first one in a long time. When I have a GERD it is a multi day and night event. :( It attacks my vocal cords and hurts so bad it feels like my whole upper chest and back, is inflamed. It even hurts my ears.

So I tried something different. mbeth059 you hit on it in your post, apparently heartburn occurs when either you have too much acid OR too little (alkaline). I took a tablespoon of mustard in a little water and it quieted it some. Other times when the mustard did not work and the heartburn got worse, I drank a 1/2 to a full shot of vinegar -- pretty nasty -- multiple times. It doesn't always work, but this time I'm surprised it actually did. I guess I don't have enough acid.

Exultant,
Glad the extra acid helped. Yea, my sister came for a visit several years ago and she brought a large bottle of Tums because she has indigestion all the time. I looked up 'Indigestion and herbs' on Google.com and one herb was Comfry and since I had some I gave her some of that and it helped her heartburn. I have never bought Tums or anit-acids or Nexium. But the Prednisone really can do a number on our digestive systems, so make sure you have food in there before taking it. GRPEARSON07 was right when he said 'which is the biggest monster, Prednisone or Sarcoidosis?'

I also have a bad case gerd, I take famotidine at night for mine it helps, but it sometimes comes back in the afternoon. I could put up with that ;have been for three years now.

My "heartburn" started 20 years ago when I woke up with my throat and mouth burning from stomach acid that had journeyed from stomach to my mouth. Awfu!

I take an emprazole in the morning and night and have little problems unless I eat chocolate, hot stuff,
corn chips, etc. It is difficult because I have lost most of my taste and smell so I like strongly flavored foods.

Natural solutions..... my father could be seen every night making baking soda and water and drinking it for heart burn.... but I like the idea of using water to help. I am going to try it. Thanks carosu

I've had this problem all my life and I've found that part of it results from the foods we eat, and of course, aging.

I've found that foods that promote akalinity within the body tend to work and make the heartburn less. You can't get any more natural than that.

I've also found that prilosec for instance, sends a different message your body, while it inhibits acid production on one hand, it's telling the body there's not enough acid and so the body naturally responds by producing more.

I've discovered that natural foods that help to cause alkalinity or restore the ph balance from acid to alkaline in the body are the best solution.

Another old fashioned cure, believe it or not, is to get natural organic apple cider vinegar and take a teaspoon in water every day. You'd think it'd cause heartburn, but it works to create alkalinity in the body.

Another old fashioned cure, believe it or not, is to get natural organic apple cider vinegar and take a teaspoon in water every day. You'd think it'd cause heartburn, but it works to create alkalinity in the body.

Yes, that is confirmation. It does work.

I have had GERD for a long time myself. The best answer I can give you is talk to your doctor. There are several things that can help. Nexium and Prilosec are 2 of the most common. I use Tums myself if I can help it. It's not always acid, sometimes it's other things. Oh FYI if you or someone in your house smokes, Nicotene does cause an increase in stomache acid.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders