Traveling while on Pred. & Methotrexate

My husband has Cardiac Sarc. I really want to go to NY for Thanksgiving with him and our girls. He's had a rough year and I wanted to do something special. I am afraid to travel with him while he is on the Metho, and Pred. Do you think it is too much exposure to crowds for him? I know that the docs. warned that his immune system will not be good while on these drugs. However, he really wants to go and I want him to lead a somewhat noraml life. Please let me know what you think.

7 replies. Join the discussion

That's a hard call. I was on 40mg pred. when I journied to NYC to see new doc at Mount Sinai. We took train & subway (very public areas). Before we went I put little neosporin on cotton swab & gently rubbed it around inside of nostrils (as most germs enter via nose & moisture keeps them from getting in). I also brought w/me anti-bacterial wipes & solution. I used it constantly, made conscious effort not to touch my face/mouth/eyes/nose. Washed hands at every opportunity. And I did not get sick from going. I would go for it. Realistically, you're husband could get same germs from going to grocery store or pharmacy. If he was willing..wearing a facemask would be the ideal prevention. There are no guarantees no matter what...so I say live alittle. (Please don't blame me if he gets sick OK?!! LOL)

I don't travel because of my Sarcoid but I think that is a mistake...mentally. I have got myself so stuck in my safe zone the anxiety of getting something won't let me go many places. The longer I stay in my comfort zone the harder it is for me to live a normal life.
If he doesn't mind wearing a mask while traveling and washing his hands like he is crazy he should be fine. Like the last reply said he wants to go and that is wonderful. Being around family might just be what he needs.
I am forcing myself to go to a relatives for the holiday. I just have to get out more. Being a hermit is not what I want for myself no matter what I suffer from.
Bunkie

Thank you. You know I do really want to him enjoy this time in his life with the girls. As you know, sarc can be debilitating. My husband has been in and out of the hospital for V-tach and his ICD firing off due to the effects of Sarcoidosis. Things seem to be calming down (however, I don't like saying that because you never know with Sarc.) I think I may go for it and let him have some fun. However, I will make sure he is very careful about germs.

Think about getting him a mask and some antibacteria hand wash. I have a child in school that can bring anything home. Truth is you can actually bring something home to him. But with some precautions, I think it would be good for him to get out

Think about getting him a mask and some antibacteria hand wash. I have a child in school that can bring anything home. Truth is you can actually bring something home to him. But with some precautions, I think it would be good for him to get out

My hubby gets 'sick' 3-4 times a year. I have not been sick since going on Pred for 2 1/2 yrs and now Methotrexate as well. I don't go out much due to generalized muscle weakness, but do not avoid normal activities, places or even planes. Everyone is different so try to enjoy your life while you can - worry never changes a single thing.

Regards,
I.

I am on both of those drugs and travel regularly for work. I always end up with a sinus infection so I take a z-pak with me. But, I say, go to NY and have a great time. Laughter is the best medicine!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders