Swollen eyes

Has anyone exp the eyes swollen like if you been crying for a while or bad allergies that's what I have been dealing with and eye droop

24 replies. Join the discussion

I used to have the eye droop going on ( one of my eyes is usually cross eyed first thing in the morning but it corrects within say 15 minutes). It's possible that you have a bit of Bell's Palsy, which used to affect me. If your mouth droops too then it could be this.

I would advise soaking some cottons pads or a face cloth in a mixture of water and a bit of baby shampoo and gently clean your eye out as many times a day as you feel is necessary. The temperature should be as hot as you can tolerate. It there's a lot of debris caught in your eyelashes, then cleaning it like this regularly will really help.

For the last two or three months I have had excessive puffiness under my left eye plus clear bumps inside the lower lid. I suspect it is granulomas. I have not been back to the eye doctor yet, but it seems reasonable that is the next step.

Thanks Anke I tried that it's not b.p I will just keep putting some compresses

Thanks pfehrman I just have the puffy no bumps on on inside I always ck for that it just always look
That I just woke up or been crying

Hi Maria,

Are you seeing an opthomologist. There are drops you can take to reduce the inflammation of your eyes. They have been helping me since 2003.

Also non drug things that help are elderberry extract and Flax seed oil capsuls.

God's speed
DJ in Calif

Thank you yes I have drops I just started flaxseed

In the past month, I have been dealing with swollen eyes. I was hoping it was not a part of sarcoidosis but I see it may be.

I have that droopy eye thing when my allergies act up. I am also constantly dizzy so who knows what is brewing. My eyes do not swell but do get irritated and red. I have drops for that but the droop thing is strange. I had a complete eye exam last year when it started by a neuro-optomoligist at the Univ of Mi. He said I was great . Could be some sort of nerve thing.

I do not have allergies, yet my face and eyelids swell up and droop roughly every few months,
lasting for 2-3 days. This has been happening for three years. My feet and legs will also swell
up, often hardening and turning reddish purple. Doctors never want to attribute any of this to
my new diagnosis of sarcoid, but have confirmed that it does occur and is not an allergic reaction...
Do you have Raynaud's? I do and thinking this may be related.

Hi sarky what is raynaud's?

I had this before and during my 1st 3 remicade treatments (just the swollen eyes). The doctor told me to take benedryl and see if it helped. It did help some. I've had it off and on since I was diagnosed with sarc.

I developed iritis which led to my diagnosis of sarcoidosis. Initially I thought I had pinkeye and it wasn't until it didn't repond to treatment that I was referred to an eye doctor who was familiar with and suspected sarcoidosis.

God bless to all for your response my eyes are getting better Been taking ibuprofen and vitamins turmeric. Green tee pills

One drooping eye lid is a classic sign of Myasthenia Gravis - another auto immune disease. My neuro checked me out for that.

Hello Maria!

Raynaud's Syndrome is when the upper part (metacarpophalangies?)
of the fingers, first and second knuckles, suddenly become hard and
painful and stiff. There's no rhyme or reason as to which or how many
fingers on which hand become affected at any time, but when it happens,
you will know....it feels like you have gout in your fingers! Commonly, the
fingers turn purple and the lower digits turn white, or vice versa, or even
become mottled. The medical books downplay the pain involved...or, perhaps,
I endured more pain with this syndrome than most.
I tried everything to ease the pain, but nothing worked, until one day, my friend
Aaron suggested that I try dipping my fingers into a pot of very hot water. (??)
Where he got the idea I don't know, but, painful as it was at first, every time I
submergered my fingers deeper into the hot water, and the longer I left them
in there, the pain and other symptoms began to dissipate. I am not advocating
this, please be clear, but if you have painful Raynaud's and nothing else works....

For the past month my eyes have been swollen, red and puffy every day. I look like I have a constant hangover. In addition to having mild acne for the first time in my life... Seeing an ophthalmologist next week.

I have had the droopy top eyelid thing going for
many years. I wear contact lenses, which, with my
dry eye problems are getting worst.
Saw eye dr last year, no sarc in eyes.
Lately, face puffy as well, maybe kidneys?
Meds? Have had two weird experiences of
seeing halos around all lights, making it a bit
difficult to drive.

I have decided, new day? New weird symptom.
Love to all.
Hugs.
CarolDee

I was having the halos - saw a neuro-optho and he said he found no sarc (after very thorough eye exam) and said it was due to mild beginnings of cataracts - but it has since resolved itself. I still think there may be sarc issues going on for me with eyes. I also get the very puffy morning issue, definitely looks like I cried all night. I am on both Alrex and Patanol eye drops but still have the puffiness. I took benadryl last night (25mg) and no difference, still very puffy eyes in the morning.

My right eye is so swollen it is sometimes hard to see out of. Beleive me, the swollen eye IS definetly Sarc. I have had it for 1 year. It went down a lttle with Pred. but the side effects were so bad I stopped taking it and rather deal with the swollen eye. Now after a year I am taking MTX for 6 months, helps alot, but not getting any better. Also my nose is swollen, hard to breathe. I am now considering Remicade. I do not drink or smoke, very healthy, only eat healthy and alkaline type diet. I feel great except for my eye and nose. It is Sarc, proven by biopsy. I have no symptoms of arthirits, but I do have skin granulomas and the swollen face issue.

Hi Tammy: did the remicade help your swollen eye?

My dermotologist has me on Minocycline, it has cleared up ALL the acne & skin bumps, except for the granulomas (dark areas) my skin is great.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders