Surgery and sarcoidosis

I have been reading on here and there seem to be a lot of people with Sarc that have had surgery and problems afterwards . Has anyone had surgery and not had a problem afterward ??? ( Dont include eye surgery). I'm just wondering as I will need to get hiatal hernia surgery soon( my stomach is entirely in my chest) but now I don't want to do it because it sound to me if u have sarc u will have a lot of problems ?? Anyone ???

13 replies. Join the discussion

First off, I haven't had surgery since my diagnosis... yet. I will have my ICD replaced in the next 5 years or so tho! lol
Don't delay medical treatment of another issue due to other peoples reactions. Especially with sarc, it is so different in all of us! It may seem like a lot of people have problems after surgery, but remember that when they are posting on this site with their problems it doesn't mean they represent the majority. I'm not knocking sarkies... But please please don't make your medical decisions based on what you read here. If you need the surgery (and it sounds like you do? Stomach in the chest is no good!) get the surgery! You can deal with any after affects with your medical professional. (and then come on here and bitch me out for recommending it! lol! jk) Seriously tho, don't waste time worrying about the side affects, get the treatment you need right away. =) take care

Thank you for your reply and advice. I am going to get it done. Just have not set it up yet. I know it is something that I cannot put off. Thanks again.

Albeit new to the sarcoidosis diagnosis, likely I have had it for well over 20 years. I have had 23 surgeries, many major and I have had not any known complications. I do not think it would have made any difference if I had known I had sarcoidosis other than it has taken longer to get my energy back since a knee replacement in April but I am quite ill with the neurosarc. right now. I have been called an angry healer when scars have taken extra long to fade, but no big deal. I do not have lung issues. Complications can occur for anyone with lung issues due to anesthesia. Just be sure the anesthesiologist (and your surgeon) know you have sarcoidosis.

Good luck and God Bless,

Carol

Thank you for shareing Carol , you certainly have had your share of surgeries . Hopefully no more . Thanks again.

Hi! I have a history of sarcoidosis in the lungs. Had valve repair surgery Nov. 23rd. Although I had some difficulty after the surgery, it was mostly due to the heart and lungs. I have asthma and COPD and also a history of collapsed lung when they did the biopsy for the sarc. The sarc is in remission. Just had an updated CAT Scan. Had a PET Scan in the hospital, thank God, sarc was not to be found in my heart. I handle anesthesia really well, even though I have the lung problems. Anytime you need something done, have it done. You just may need a little time between surgeries, just to be at your best. Have other issues to deal wtih, but am going to wait for the heart to heal first. One of those may be neurosarc, but then again maybe not. Praying that all will go well with you. Blessings and hugs! Great-Gram

Thank u for responding . I just have to get my courage up and get it done . I have so much worry right now about no job and no prospect of one . I will be 65 in Aug so I qualify for Medicare . I know stress is not good for sarcoid but I have been stressed since my husband died . I'm just dreading surgery . Thank u again ani I hope all goes well for u .

First of all sorry for your loss, I cannot imagine not having my hubby around when I am sick. I have handled surgery fine with my sarcoid. I hope that it goes well for you and that most of all you feel better :-)

Thank u all for your imput and stories . I feel better just have to get the courage to plan it .

I have heard of people (myself included) that have had problems after surgeries on granulomas. It seems to 'awaken' the sarc and cause more growth and inflammation. The only reason I would think that surgery would be hard for sarc patients depends on the site and extent of the sarc symptoms and the type of surgery. If you are having breathing issues before hand -abdominal surgery may cause problems, but then getting your hernia repaired and all of your internal organs in their correct places may help! Talk extensively to your surgeon, anesthesiologist, etc... before hand. They should be able to give you a sense of the prognosis. If not - you need other opinions! Good luck and good thoughts and prayers sent your way!

I recently was put under and had some lymph nodes removed. So far no problems from that. But I got a tetanus (I have horses) and Pneumonia shot and it seems to awakened my cough once again. Either that or I am getting a cold. sigh.

Hi Shadowsfire . Thanks for responding . I have a constant cough . Dr says my lungs r clear . I do have pulmonary sarc with a couple nodules on my lungs which they say is sarcoid and did not do a biopsy or anything .

Not long after my sarc was diagnosed, I had to have my gallbladder removed. The sarc caused no problem but the prednisone I was on at the time did slow the healing down just a bit. I wouldn't hesitat to schedule any surgery b/c of sarc. Best of luck to you in your surgery.

Thank u all you have put me at ease .

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders