stomach swelling and bloating when I eat

Had a colonoscopy in Feb. 2011 since then everything I eat causes me to swell and bloat in my stomach. I have had uper G.I. ,xrays, ultrasound, you name the test and I have taken it, 4 different doctors and all they have done is have me take Amitiza for constipation! I also take milk of magnesia tabs, beano,stool softeners,pepto bismol and anything that has a chance of helping. . I take it and then it feels like my insides are going to pass thru my intestines, after which I am good until I take a bit of food and then the swelling starts all over.my stomach area swells ,gets so heavy it throws off my balance and causes back pain. The drs' haven't a clue They want me to watch what I eat , take fibre, I tell them it doesn't matter what I eat I get the same reaction, it feels like the food doesn't go to the right place when I eat , Their answer is well, take Amitiza and we will see in 6 months, seems me and the Dr.s' both are hoping for a miracle,, I will try anything ,If you have an answer PLEASE let me know Thanks

Edited January 18, 2012 at 12:18 am

39 replies. Join the discussion

I read somewhere about a celiac disease as occurring somewhat more frequently along with sarc, but cannot find my notes on source. If that is your issue, and I believe it is an inherited AI disorder, then the gluten-free diet is what you need. Link to good info: http://www.celiac.com/

Please be cautious with fasting for long periods, especially if you are on meds or supplements that are better taken with food. Also such fluctuation in blood sugar can make you feel really crappy.

As a biopsy confirmed celiac, I have for the last two and a half years (at the age of 50) begun my gluten free journey. I feel the best thing for your diet is to eat everything from (scratch, so to speak). No preservatives, plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, and of course no wheat, barley, oats etc. I know sarc is related to sinus infections (read that somewhere), but can't remember where I saw the association with celiac, anyhow, have had nearly 35 years of sinus infections (two operations), so I think there might be an link somewhere. All the best.

as i have said previously i have sarcoidosis on preds but also had a anafalatic shock stomach kept bloating with severe cramps it felt like my bowels were tiying there self in knots. its turned out to be coeliac disease on top of sarcoidosis, avoid all gluten in food.
stick to a gluten free diet and see if it helps its mada such a difference to my life no more swelling and if i do ever eat some by accident buscopan cramps help they are great please try this.good luck

I am going to bring this up to my gastroenterologist on my next visit to see what she feels is a proper way to go about it If the 2 days of liquids and no solid food is enough to cleans the intestines or maybe a combonation of liquids and a mild prep kit since it seemed to work so well.

Would you please post your gastroenterologist's answer?! I think many would find it interesting. I cannot fast since several of my medications require food, and I am very disabled by low blood sugar when fasting. But the colonoscopy clean-out juice worked for me in 4 hours, and then I started up slowly again with eating. Chicken soup would be good, and scrambled eggs worked well for me, too. Being paralyzed, my motility is compromised and I think this could be a good thing. It is important after a total cleanse to take probiotics for at least a week to restore good bacteria.

When I start to get these symptoms, I know I have had too much calcium and my calcium levels are increasing.

Bre

HI; I saw the discussion about celiac disease and sarcoid and want to recommend a website. www.glutenfreern.com. She is based in Corvallis, Oregon. I am with the Sarcoidosis Networking Association and have support groups in Albany and Portland, Oregon. She spoke at our conference at Oregon Health Science University. I'm not saying that this is the answer, but she did raise some interesting facts. As someone with sarcoid, I also feel bloated when I eat and I do notice that things with gluten increase that feeling. That doesn't necessarily mean we have celiac disease but may have a gluten intolerance. Kristi

Wow,
I learn so much on this site. I have sarc (diagnosed in my sinus biopsy after struggling with sinus trouble) FINALLY figured out there was a REASON for the joint ache, fatigue, and flu like symptoms and I was not a hypochondriac. I can control my flare ups by eating an anti-inflamitory diet. I learned from several of you that the gluten may be a problem too. When I diet, I restrict my gluten and maybe that is why I feel better. Just got over a skin outbreak (horribly itchy blisters that came and went in 2+ weeks) and the Dr. said it looked like gluten allergy. I am just cutting back drastically on gluten and eating anti-inflamitory foods. A 2-4 day veggie and fruit juice fast is always a good way to cleanse and refresh! Thanks to you all for the good info!
Vicki

Have you tried probiotics? One of the ladies here had diarrhea for years and her Dr as a last resort put her on them and it cleared up in two weeks.
I know my friend has a gluten intolerance and can't eat ANY wheat or she has the same thing happen. For me I get the bloated and gas feeling for days if I eat anything with Chili powder and possibly Cumin.

Culturelle and Florajen 3 probiotics along with a gluten free, yeast free, sugar free diet and exercise are the only thing that helps me. You may want to research Candidiasis.

So glad to see I'm not the only one with these problems! I had for 3 months straight gas and bloating so bad, my stomach would wake me up hurting almost every night, followed by diarrhea. When that wasn't happening, I was constipated or had horrible heartburn! It was originally what sent me to the doctor's, where several tests later they found and diagnosed sarcoidosis. I am trying the no gluten diet, hoping it provides some relief for all of my symptoms!

I would like to know if anyone has Tried a med. Called "Digestaqure " and did it help ? it is faily costly and I don't want to waste money and time chasing cures ; any info would be appreciated ,
Thanks

It seams everything we do or in this case eat causes inflammation. I had what Yale Hospital called "the worst case they had seen" for a upper GI tract and had to even have surgery. I suffered for decades like this and what helped me to completely get rid of it was muscle testing for food allergies. My Dr. determined that I should not eat certain foods, dairy being the worst, and once I eliminated those foods I have not had the 9month pregnant look sense. I have links on my home page if you are interested. I take a pro-biotic and fiber twice a day along with a gasX tab just to keep things in check. He also has successfully treated two really bad flair ups without me having to take steroids.

Chris, I think many of us have food allergies of which we are unaware. I also had the muscle testing done, and eliminating or tightly limiting the food s in question--both those allegeric to and those just hyper-sensitive to--really made a difference for me, too.

This has been so helpful. I was recently diagnosed with Sarcoidosis. Heart, Lungs, Liver, Spleen, Lymph nodes. kidneys all having problems. I am exhausted all the time and cant even eat crackers without my stomach swelling hard, with nausea. I see also it can cause sinus infections? Didnt know that so maybe thats why I always feel like Im getting sick. My heart doc refered me to Cincinnati Oh to Dr Baughman. I was told he is one of the best sarcoidosis doctors in the country. Anyone else bee to this doctor. I have so many questions for him. Would love to have my life back.

Angelarenee, check out this link: https://www.inspire.com/groups/stop-sarcoidosis/discussion/baughman-from-ci ncinnati-oh/

wow im sitting here with my stomach so bloated i am having digguculty with my breathing. It is amazing how many of us have this problem. i look pregnant and am very uncomfortable. i cant eat.
My gi doctor did colonoskopy and my biopsie showed severe inflammation with mucosal congestion. he also thinks i might have some kind of motility disorder with intestines. i do have severe inflammation in rectum and have to use a inflammatory suppository. Sorry for to many details.... I would not recommend the amtiza at alllll.........it did nothing but cramp me up.

Count me in too, sort of. I tested negative for celiac though. The pregnant look is what got my attention. I put on weight in the last yr from all the prednisone but felt something isnt right. Most guys my age, 40, have the sexy beer belly intertube goin on but when Im looking in the mirrow I find myself saying, this just doesnt look right. I look PREGGERS!!! Weird thing is, my grandfather on my moms side looked just like this too. I can even remember the feel of his stomach, real hard. Thats me, not as hard but distended and not looking good. I have tried the GI testing, I mean they tested everything, no problems. Colonoscopy even had biopsies taken up in there, all good. The GI doctors word of wisdom was, cut out the pain meds and you will achieve instant karma with your bowels. Thank god for insurance or that nice lil' nugget of wisdom woulda cost me over 2,000 big ones. Besides, all these GI problems started a good 10 yrs before going my taking of the forbidden fruit(opiates) and I kinda like getting out of the house at times. Funny how these devil's candies can give one a little quality of life, but I digress.

I had a test done which showed stomach filling defects but it was like 10yrs ago. I also have GERD for which I take Prilosec. Works pretty good. Dexilant was the cats meow, worked the best, but insurance say, no no, not for you it 2 much $$. Lol, c'est la vie, c'est la vie. I had small bowel inflammation and bowel wall thickening by terminal illieum(somting like dat), close enough, its too late for this pred boy to go diggin' through the medical binders tonight. I recently had my esophagus tested as I was having trouble even swallowing. Test say, no good young boy, you need reglan, dont worry, it may give you tardive dyskinesia but then it might go away when you stop taking it or IT MAY NOT, chew on that one, haha. Starve or go the Timaaaaahhh route. The nice neurologist lady said this is so simple it all adds up to the other word of the day, say it all together now, DYSAUTONOMIA. Thats when your autonomic nervous system goes on strike, and deliberates on your peace offerings for years, still waiting to hear back from the last one, but alas no deals.

So if you are cutting the gluten and all the other things that have kept my family in good stock for generations and still no results you might look into how well your autonomic nervous system is doing. Hard to take a leak sometimes too? Nausea quite often? Dizzy spells? Anxiety attacks from hell? Check, yes, yes, yes. My Nausea is pretty regular, its about 60/40 with any meal, so I try to eat small meals and it still gets me sometimes. Note, stock up on Zofran while the max outta pocket is satisfied. But hey its grand compared to cathetorizing a grown man, anything, not THAT, its too beaucoup, 2 beaucoup!! Been there, done that, aint no fun in it from any angle. So I counts my blessings as long as they stick to NOT sticking things in holes that were meant for exit only. Ok, ok, this is getting off topic yer thinkin'? Just hang in there, we're almost there, Im gettin' to it and this stuff is important, remember back to Eng Lit, its called foreshadowing.

All I hear is demon gluten this yr, next yr it'll be something else. It might be bad for some and not so great for others but dang it aint the answer to everything? Heck, not two years/3 yrs ago it was eat whole wheat and live a healthy life, now avoid at all costs? I dont go into the latest raves, Im too old. Seen 'em coming, seen 'em going, for too long. So if you are not having sucess w/ cutting out everything but juicy juice and strained carrots and colon prep, get an appt w/ a neurologist or three. It could be that danged ol' dang 'ol autonomic nervous system dysfunctionin', or in a simpler term Dysautonomia.

Add me to the list on this one. I have had this problem for many years. A couple of years ago I realized that I was lactose intolerant. Change my diet, so no more dairy products. Still felt yucky so I have been getting off of gluten products. I have noticed a big difference with these two changes. If I do eat something with either of these foods, I can tell sometimes within minutes to half an hour that I shouldn't eat it, or drink it.
It has not been too difficult to switch over the gluten products. Trader Joe's has a list of all their foods that are gluten free, just ask for one. If no Trader Joe's, ask the store you shop at and hopefully they will have a list of products they carry that are gluten free. The list I got was three pages front and back long, yeah!!!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders