Skin Sarcoid-scaly patches

Anyone that has skin sarcoid get little round dry patches on skin that may at times itch. These patches are very dry and if you scratch them they become very scaley. I use a steroid type cream on my skin lesions. These type lesions are new to me.

17 replies. Join the discussion

Psoriasis? Known to occur with Sarc.

Okay thanks

I have developed the dry scaly skin patches you describe. My PCP said some of them looked like Psoriasis but the ones on my shins were most certainly EN (can't spell it but it's skin sarc). I've never had psoriasis or exzema in my life so I'm very confused by all the "patches" I've developed as this disease has hit me. I now have them on my legs and scalp. My "old" doctor gave me a steroid ointment for the sarcoid in my nostrals. I use it on my skin and it helps a lot. I'm running low. I think I need to get my new doctor to write me a new prescription. Good luck!

i got hit with eczema a year ago.
and all i have been able to do was control it with steroid ointment

its also a co-morbid with sarc.

the only way to tell is with a punch biopsy

I have the red, scaly patches on different parts of my body, plus the raised red bumps on my lower legs that itch like crazy! When they call this systemic sarc, they ain't lyin'!

Thanks for all of the response I will check with my doctor to see if it is exzema or psoriasis. Really appreciate the answers back this skin thing is terrible.

Check with your doctor as Sarcoidosis frequently brings about psoriasis, which sounds like what you have described. In addition, psoriatic arthritis usually follows this condition. What fun Sarcoidosis is, but you just have to get your sword out and fight! Bless you.

this last week I've been itching like crazy. dry patches and red bumps on my chest, stomach, legs and even back. I thought it was just a rash but found out it was the sarcoidosis. My doctor gave me prednisone and told me to take claritin for the itch. I'm better after taking the prednisone. This was a new thing for me and was somewhat alarming. I've been diagnosed with sarcoidosis for 5yrs and this has never happened

Thanks Betty and Glory appreciate all of your input and advice.

I started having the red scaly spots on my feet and ankles over two years ago. They have moved up to my lower legs, hands and thighs. They itch really bad when I get them wet. My PC, said it was psoriasis but it cleared up after taking predisone for my lungs, only to come back in a few days. A biopsy ordered by a Dermatologist proved it was sarcoid. The Dermatologist sent me to a Rheumy and he said I have sarcoid of the skin only. I am having trouble believing that as my lung scan shows scarring, shoulder xrays show sclerotic lesions, my eyes are in the first stages of glaucoma (dryness, halos, sensitive to light) and my body (bones?) feels extremely sensitive and painful. I hesitate to try and find a new Dr. because it doesn't seem like any of them know much about sarcoid anyway. I haven't had much luck with the steroid cream, but I'm bad about not applying it 3 times a day. When I was faithful about applying it, it didn't seem to help.
If I were you I would ask for a biopsy.

Hi Annie thanks for that I may get my dermotologist to do a biopsy to see what it is. I've got skin and lung sarcoid and I now have arthritis. But I will get that to determine what it is and thank you again and I wish you the best with yours.

sweet almond oil seems to work for me.

Hi, yes I have round, red, scaley patches on my back since June,,,,have tried several things, nothing has gotten rid of it....I think I will go to derm and see if he can biopsy one of them...I had a feeling it was from one of my diseases...

I have had these skin rashes for 3 years now and my doctor keeps telling me that it is a yeast infection and gives me lotrimin cream for it. It hasn't worked yet but he insists it should take care of it. I've tried other creams, sprays etc but nothing touches it and it spreads like crazy. If you find something that works please let me know. Itchy and out of ideas.
Cora

I am dealing with the dry patches as well. The scarring on my legs is really bad from Sarc. I have Sarc of the lungs and skin. I was given a steroid shots to heal the wounds when they first appeared as lesions and now that I'm on pred. I am getting the dry scaly patches to appear. I have been fighting with my skin since the onset of my condition. If any one finds something to help with the skin, please share. I will definitely talk to my doctor about getting it prescribed.

Has anyone tried aloe...by chance I have the Banana Boat after sun care with aloe. I have so much of the bumpy/itchy skin on my legs and the back of my upper arms. My back, too. Itch...itch...itch. It has helped me. Dunno about lesions, I think I have a nodule now..on my chin. Is this possible ? as it really protrudes away from surface of skin. Also have a small dark deep red/purple spot on my right cheek/face..these last two are dry and scally, too. I just dont know much about these diffeent types of bumps/lumps/spots. Going to rhumie soon and sure will ask him.

My husband has rheumatoid arthritis and is tortured by thick scaly patches on his leg and some of the lesions get really bad and open. His Dermatologist prescribed Clobetasol Propionate 0.05%, and wow, what a difference. He's healed in a very short time and it works so well he's amazed every time. It's indicated for psoriasis, but these days drugs are being used for multiple problems just because they work. If we weren't so impressed by it, I wouldn't suggest it. But as I said.....wow!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders