skin Sarcoid - on the face

I have had skin sarcoid on my cheek for 12 years now. It started as a small pimple and now it is a large area 2 in by 2 inch. It is reddish and bumpy. My doctor has given me various anti inflammatory creams by nothing makes it go away. She gave me an acne pill last year that made in go flat and but exposure to the sun made it go blue. It was very noticeable and I was better of when it was red and bumpy. Luckily when I stopped the blue went away. Has anyone had any success with skin sarcoid treatment?

9 replies. Join the discussion

I also(have,had) sarcoid on my face I went to see a derm. doctor he also gave me some creams for about 5 years I applied the cream twice a day they got lighter but didn't go away so I stopped the creams and the doctor. Then about a year or so later, they went away on there own. But still have it in my lungs.

I have sarcoid of the skin and the dermotologist gave me a cream call clobetasol it works okay but you have to be careful on the face because it is a steriod and it thins the skin out. But it clears it up for awhile then when I stop using it, it comes back. Have another appt with him will let you know what our next step is.

Yes, please keep me informed. My doctor is willing to try things as she really has no idea what to do with me. I am seeing her in June so I can recommend trying clobetasol.

what does the sarcoid on the skin look like? i'm having strange bumps on my hands and leg. On my shin it is read bumps and my hands its like tiny bumps with a bit of fluid in them. I also have a strange one on my thigh. It is not quite circular with red bumps all the way around it and skin colored in the center, then it went red bumps completely filling in the center then went back to the circle of red bumps. it itches and feels hot at times. I've had it about 3 months now. i also had one spot on the side of my knee, it went away with everything i tried in my med cabnet.
on my hands itches really bad sometime.
I'm going in to see my Pulm. Dr. tomorrow. blood work and PFT's.
I hope he can do something about it.

What does skin sarcoid look like? I have small bumps on my forehead and cheeks. Also just found white spots on my arms. I just started Predisone 3 weeks ago. I have Pulmonary Sarcoid they think? Help?

Hi,
I also have skin sarcoid. It has been an ongoing issue for the past 5 years or so. It is a reddish slightly raised area above my eyebrow. It has grown slowly over these past years- started small and has spead to about a 2"area. I have gone through 3 dermatologists and many attempts to try and make it shrink/go away. I have had 3 biopsies- they have all come back as cellular granulomas- typical of sarcoid. My lungs and other test are all fine. They have tried topical steroids, steroid injections, and I have taken chloroquine and methotrexate. The only thing that really seemed to make it shrink was the methotrexate. However- one of the side effects can be liver damage and hair loss. I experienced a very sudden bout of hair loss- so I stopped the methotrexate as I decided I would rather have a red splotch on my face as opposed to going bald.
Currently I am working on getting another opinion at either Mass General or Tufts as I think the doctors in Vermont have gotten to the point that they do not know what to do with me anymore.
I too am frustrated.
Would love to hear about other peoples experiences with this.
Wendy

I have sarc on my face. It started with a small patch on my cheeks and they continued to grow in size. I also have sarc on the side of my nose and under my nostrils. I go to a dermatologist about every 6 to 8 weeks to get steroid injections to flatten out the scarring and to assist in stopping the growth. I have been doing this for years. I don't know what the future will hold. I am tired of all the medicines.

Sarcoid is red and bumpy. I have heard that medication for lungs can make the skin sarcoid go away so I would be interested if upsetvet finds that your sarcoid goes away. I tried Minocycline and that made it flatter but then the area turned blue from the sun. Has anyone tried Hydroxychloroquine or Thalidomide or Pentoxifylline. They are all mentioned in the Sarcoid and the Body as possible medication for skin sarcoid.

I feel your pain(no pun). I have been getting facial injections off and on for 18 years. It's getting very tiring. I now have sarcoid nodules on my fingers which make me look some type of mutant so now i get those injected...owwww the pain so unbearable but I will do anything to have some type of normalcy back to my appearance :( It's very embarrasing when people notice your hands and they ask what happened to your finger. So now i have a conscious of keeping my hands cuffed or folded.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders