Sedimentation rate

Have any of you had this SED test and come up very high! Like 150 then two weeks later it is down to 14 again. I have one doctor that said it must have been a mistake and he is the expert. My other lung doctor does not think it is normal.
here is a link for people that do not know the test:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003638.htm

As I am thinking about going on Infliximab and medrol. I am worried about infections. I am hurting almost everywhere they also are doing an other ANA test but they always come back negative anyway.

My other doctor (third) the family doc was thinking vasculitis by my temporal but I do not know if it goes up and down and he says he can think outside the box while both pulmonologist cannot anymore. And I have severe head aches and lef facial pain or numbness and left arm I am tired of the pain all over my body but I only have sarciod in my tear ducts, diagprham muscle and lungs stage 4. So, I was first diagnosed with IPF even after a biopsy. Does anyone know more about Sed test and sarciodosis?

My pulmologist always looks at my nails. And when I looked at vasculitis it showed black toe nails but they never look at my toe nails.

Could I have a rheumatoid illness also even though they ruled it out. Or is it in infection that went away... I am so confused. I want to feel well!!!!!!

I need to take care of my husband 24 hrs a day because he has memory loss. From insane doctors that gave him drugs that has paradox effects on him and I had to stay for 3 month in Madison trying to get him out of an mental health system. For god sake he even stopped breathing and they put him 2000 miles away from home on a court order because they gave him the wrong meds. And the only place they could place him was with criminals. And kept overdosing him anyway...And here I was no money could not leave him untill they would transport him back which they finally did because I had everyone calling them even my legislators. and now I have a real problem on my hands besides my own.

But that is just by the side I am tired and sick and cannot get the right diagnosis. For some reason I do not even believe I have sarciodosis anymore. Do these doctors really now what they are doing...... All I know my DLCO level got better for awhile.... Maybe it was the Wisconsin air...... Or the cigarettes that I started on again at the time but stopped again now. (Still hard right now)

Anyway I should have probably made a journal of it but I really need to know about the SED RATE?

Thank you all, Vrolijk...

2 replies. Join the discussion

Hi vrolijk,

I am no immunologist and nor am I a doctor, but I used to read sed rates myself every day. It would be extremely unusual for a sed rate to be super high on one occasion followed in quick sucession by another in normal range unless you had a sudden acute infection in that time. In my experience, inflammation and inflammatory diseases such as the autoimmunes and sarcoid are usually only moderately raised, i.e between 30 and 50. Sed rate does increase with age also, so a 60 year old healthy person's will be higher than a 20 year old's. From what I know, severely elevated sed rates usually occur with acute and severe infections which are either systemic or localised. My aunt and mum both had sed rates which hit 100. My aunt had an infection in her hip and my mum had a severe infection of an injection site which drained a huge amount of pus.

Pris

A sed rate of 150 is high and indicates an acute infection. I think the 2nd sed rate may have been flawed. It is an easy test to do-just put the blood in a calibrated tube and let it set for an hour.
Thanks, Gary

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders