RITALIN FOR ENERGY ANYONE????

Well, now they started me on Ritalin for energy. Does anyone else take this? Thanks. Lori

11 replies. Join the discussion

No but I take Provigil for fatigue, to help me have energy. Without it, I am not sure what I would do. Somedays are really bad and there is some days I don't need it at all.

What was the deciding factor? I've been thinking about suggesting this to my docs, but wasn't sure how it would go over. Do you feel an immediate effect?

I used to take provigil myself for a while and yes, it did help, pretty much right away! The sarc has affected my heart too much now and as these drugs can cause an increase heart rate I am no longer aloud to take them. If you suffer from extreme fatigue, I would suggest talking to your doctor and giving it a try.

I haven't tried regular Ritalin, but they have tried my on Concerta ER, the same thing, but ER and it seemed to help somewhat. I have found that phentermine helps my energy level better, and the doctor told me that it does the same thing as Ritalin? I did not suppress my appetite, but at least I could stay awake for more than a few hours at a time.

They were going to put me on Provigil but insurance was fighting with them so they said to try Ritalin. I take one every other day and I think it may be helping a little but not a real lot. Doc says he can up the dose. Thanks for all the input. Lori

6 years ago I was finally diagnosed with Adult ADHD. Could have just been the Sarc all this time. But anyway, went to a Neurophyschiatrist (Neurologist and Pyschiatrist) who was suppossed to be an expert. Turns out he was. He put me on 72mg of Concerta every morning. It helps my energy, focus, concentration and ability to get through most of the day without dragging my butt around. If I miss a day I fell the crash. These are drugs the Docs have to experiment with a bit on dosage. It usually doesn't take long for your body to adjust. To get the drugs through insurance for Sarc your Doc may have to diagnose you with ADHD. Good luck all. JChiz.

My boyfriend just began taking concerta about 2 weeks ago and the affects have been life changing for him. He was never able to get around like he has been now. It is expensive though.

I started on Ritalin in November and it has helped immensely. Before I started on it I couldn't even hold a blowdryer to dry my hair after a shower. I complained about intense fatigue for 5+ months before I found a doc that heard me.
Now I take it twice a day, first thing in the morning and then around noon. At first it made me a little irritable but that has even leveled out!

I take Ritalin twice a day also. My GP (great DR. who really listens and does research!) consulted Dr. Sharma in LA. He's the one who suggested it. It as helped me immensely. I started with 5mg in the a.m...but I really crashed hard after lunch, so now I take another 5mg at noon. I had headaches for a couple of weeks, but that has stopped.
I don't drag myself around anymore. I actually have energy and inthusiasm.

I'm in a crappy mood..if u know my history, Ritalin is probably not an option....How do you get a refill the next day after you pick it up??...it's not even funny but I feel like crap....hope it works for you though...take care, Dawn

Hi, Does anyone know of a doc in the jackson,ms area that may be familiar with sarc. I've chosen not to take the prednisone. Right now I would like to try the ritalin for the intense chronic fatigue. I'm searching for an understanding doc to work with me. Hey, littlered, is your dr. sharma in louisiana. That may not be too far for me to go. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders