Prednisone and Surgery

HI friends,
Just wondering how many of you have had surgery while taking prednisone. I have one coming up and was wondering what might happen.
I did have a small surgery 2 years ago while on them but my dose was only 3mgs. I am currently on 6 and may need gallbladdder surgery.

Bunkie

8 replies. Join the discussion

Hi there, Bunkie,

So sorry to hear you are having gallbladder problems. I have no idea about having surgery while taking prednisone, but I wanted to give you a bit of advice.

If the cause of your pain is your gall bladder--Do Not put off surgery if it is recommended; the sooner, the better!

I delayed it for 2 years, and boy, was I sorry! I had developed stones in the duct all the way to my liver. A 2 hr. surgery turned into 5 hrs. with a 10-inch incision! The recovery was long and difficult.

Hopefully, if you need surgery, it can be done microscopically. Good luck and feel better!

Fondly,
Marandie

Bunkie -

6 mg of prednisone shouldn't affect your surgery should you need it. On occasion, you may have some low blood pressure which would require some extra steroids for a few days after the surgery, but that would be unlikely when you're only on 6 mg daily.

Also, 6 mg a day of prednisone should not interfere with healing after surgery - usually we get worried when you're on doses of 10 mg a day or higher.

Of course, these are just generalizations - I cannot tell you what you should do over the internet. Just giving you some information.

Hope this helps.

Eric S. White, MD

Hi Bunkie,
I too am having surgery on March 21 and am still on 15mg every other day. I've been told that the surgeon will give me a dose IV at the time of the surgery.
Right now I'm not feeling very well because of a cough and fever so surgery doesn't sound very appealing to me. Hopefully I will be feelling better by then!
Good luck with your surgery. I am sure that it will be done through laparascope as mine will.
Carol

Thank you for the replys..especially Dr White. I am part of the U of M team for my lungs.
I was very concerned. Hopefully it will be done the easy way.
I am always afraid of Sarcoid acting up when you disrupt it with surgerys and procedures.
Marandie I hope it is not as bad as yours. I get some pain when I eat and keep to a low fat diet so far. This has been going on about 6 weeks. Thought I could eat my way through it but not so.
I am currently looking for a GB doctor in Grand Rapids so wish me luck. The one here in Lansing can't travel and I need to be at my step sisters to have surgery so the search is on. I have an endo appt there on the 9th of Feb that will give me a referral if I am lucky.

Hi, Bunkie. I am sorry that you are going to have to have surgery. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I agree, though, not to delay it too long, I let mine go for over a year thinking it was an ulcer, but it turned out that it wasn't. Ended up with a stone escaping and blocking my pancreas, so actually ended up having 2 surgeries in 2 days, one to remove the gallbladder and the other to get the stone removed. Ugh. But am happy now that I had it done, cause the gallbladder can be really painful. Take care, and let us know how you are. Blessings to you!

Angie

Angie,
Are you on a restricted diet of any kind?

Hi, Bunkie. No, am not on a restricted diet. I try to watch the fried or fatty foods, because I was told that the stones can also form without a gallbladder there, and I certainly don't want that to happen. I will tell you that right after surgery, I had a problem with fatty foods and roughage, especially lettuce, so be careful with those. Your body will adjust. I now eat just about anything I want to, but I am still cautious with the "greasy" foods. I will be thinking about you, and praying that your surgery and recovery are easy ones. Blessings to you, Bunkie. Take care, and I hope that you are feeling better quick!

Angie

Good Evening

I have had several surgeries being on prednisone. My pulmonologist required that I be on increased amount of prednisone to ensure that the sarc stayed in remission. I had no complications from the surgery.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders