Military & Sarcoidosis?

Just curious if there are any other active duty military members (or active when diagnosed) out there. Since my husband is active duty Air Force, we're wondering how this is going to impact us. He's already been notified that he's going for MEB, so the writing is on the wall. Any personal stories and advice would be great!

8 replies. Join the discussion

Hi and welcome.
If you enter a key word in the search window under the pic in the upper right of this page - perhaps 'military' - I'm sure you will find old and recent threads with lots of info.

Good luck,
I.

Do you know if his was caused by something he used or inhaled while on duty. I was exposed to dangerous chemicals while in military and have multi-organ involvement now.

My advice would be to make sure it's service connected if he gets out. Also get copies of all your medical records now!
What is a MEB?

Good Luck, there are lot's of us military folks on this blog.

That's the thing, we have no clue if this could be related to exposure during service or not. He's still active duty and was initially part of maintenance. He even spent time around missle silos, so I have no doubt that he was exposed to not so pleasant chemicals. We're working on gathering all medical records now, but don't know if it's even possible to tie it to his service or not. MEB is the Medical Evaluation Board. Two waivers from PT requirements due to all of his muscle weakness flagged him for review. Any suggestions on how to link the two would be great.

Hello
I was medical boarded from the military. It took 10years before i was boared out of the Army.It was very hard because i got worster when i was sent overseas for duty. The chemicals that we are expose to no one know about it until a study is done. I have so much to tell you but i am unable to tape it all down. WalterReed Army Medical was my last exit. Please make sure you get all of your medical records and any!!!any little thing that have happen make very sure it is written down. It can get worst if you don't get plenty rest and stay on top of your health.I was in the Army and i don't understand how the Airforce run their regulations.Read and know your rights. I was not retired right away.Later on I was unable to walk because of large dosage of Predisones and the side affect of that drug.The medcine helps but it causes other problemsTry to find out how many years you need before you can beome medical retired. The Army require for you to have over 6year before you can be

Well now where to begin...? Please discuss this with your husband so that you both understand the ramifications of diagnosis while on active duty. It does not mean an end to his career thankfully! What is does mean is that you both have to be diligent with keeping records of what is going on. Whenever he has his records in his possession copies should be made. The National Archives center routinely loses medical records. How would I know? Well here I am in 2011 trying to get the VA to recognize all of the symptoms that I had while on active duty and the reserves and guess what? They can't seem to locate my records ANYWHERE! So reconstruction of the records is nearly impossible. The disability rules say that if your malady is not diagnosed withing 12 months of leaving the service, you obviously did not get whatever you have as a result of military service. If he can still do his job, but has limitations like no running for instance, he can be made non deployable (good thing) and remain on active duty serving his country (and ours!) as long as he can still do his job. If he transitions to reserve duty he may still remain in the reserves so all is not lost. Since there is no firm origin for Sarc actually proving that exposure during military service to any one substance will be very hard to prove. However, proving that there is no history of this in his family member (at least 2 generations back) can work to his favor if disability is to be given by the VA or active duty military service.
Diligence and faith in each other are the best defences! I will you and your husband well in this battle. Carpe Diem!

The MEB is the second phase of the PEB (generally months following MEB). The decision of the MEB will drive the wheels for PEB. It is the Medical Evaluation Board to determine the effects on the job performance and healthcare progression. How does he feel on a daily basis? Google VASRD chart for medical condition

Veteran Administration Schedule Rating Disabilities (VASRD) code

6846 Sarcoidosis:

Cor pulmonale, or; cardiac involvement with congestive heart failure,
or; progressive pulmonary disease with fever, night sweats, and
weight loss despite treatment 100

Pulmonary involvement requiring systemic high dose (therapeutic)
corticosteroids for control 60

Pulmonary involvement with persistent symptoms requiring chronic
low dose (maintenance) or intermittent corticosteroids 30

Chronic hilar adenopathy or stable lung infiltrates without symptoms
or physiologic impairment 0

Or rate active disease or residuals as chronic bronchitis (DC 6600) and extra- pulmonary involvement under specific body system involved

There is a number of ways to get copies (unless you complete a medical release to the forrmer hospital or medical facilities)

Google National Archive Records for medical records, awards, orders, etc.

Go to www.va.gov for the information

Contact National Call Center at Veteran Regional Office
Toll Free 1(800) 827-1000

Request copies of the medical record from your VARO (look at the letterhead of the VA correspondence)

o.k., we all no this is NO NONE CAUSE. So, you can't blame the military for its cause, directly. That being said, when you go for a medical retirement or retirement, either way, you have to have a complete physical and anything that you have wrong with you, you can report to the VA on the form for disability, just like all exit procedures. It's up to the VA to determine which problems are problems that cause a "disability" and count toward your %. My husband (USAF) received an 80%. (First, we were in shock that it was so high. He was hoping for a 30%.) Some of the percentages (10%) came from a bad scar from a surgery during active duty that was from a recreational soccer injury, a percent for hearing loss, a percent from knee surgery (from soccer), a percent for back injury (from military duty). A friend of mine, AD USAF, was going to count his skin losing pigment, which is a genetic disease. Bottom line, sarc can get a disability if you show how it happened during active duty. They can't prove it didn't happen as a cause, so they would pretty much have to cover it. It will probably depend on the people he has direct contact with during retirement as to whether or not he is lucky and doesn't have to make an appeal about it. There's always an appeal IF he didn't get covered.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders