Middle and lower back pain after waking up. Does anyone else have this?

For about 3 hours in the morning after waking my back is as stiff as a board. Especially the mid and lower back. It feels as if someone has punched me over and over again. It is on the right side only and it seems that if I sleep on my left side it is slightly better. The feeling is hard to explain to anyone but it hurts preety darn bad! I also get out of breath super easy on the mornings which really sucks since I have a toddler to chase after. Anyone else have these problems with their back? Also, does anyone else's family seem to disregard your condition? Nobody ever asks me how I am doing, it is like they have forgotten or don't believe I have this since I can't go to the doc anymore because I have no insurance. I don't ever bring it up because nobody seems to give a crap. It's just frustrating having this mess and everyone thinking that it will go away. I'm sorry, I just had to vent a little! I am 29 years old and I feel like I'm 80, I am just tired of this.

17 replies. Join the discussion

Hi
I often wake in the morning looking for the lorry that hit me
I think its just one of the joys f having Sarcs
I take codeine and within half an hour am able to function

Sam

I am sorry to hear you have such pain especially having a toddler to chase about but I can certainly empathize with you. I have back pain every morning until I get up and going. I keep a heating pad plugged in by the side of my bed and apply heat as soon as I wake up. This seems to ease the pain enough to at least get out of bed without too much trouble. After breakfast 1/2 of my pain med and the edge is off the pain. I do find that exercise helps. Nothing strenuous, just a few core stretches and some upper body weights for toning my upper arms (no weight bearing to protect my back) but I think it helps get the circulation going. Core strength is important and maintaining it is really not too difficult. Hope that helps. Keep the faith and good luck with the little one.

kidney stone????

Common with sarc if you have high calcium levels

I have the same problem - every morning my back hurts and I'm in a lot of pain. Like you, it's middle/lower back. I have a new mattress. I do have sarc in my vertebrae so that may be what's causing it. Once I have a hot shower, a pain pill and do a few stretches it starts to ease up. But yeah, it's really painful and I can't sleep in no matter how tired I am.

I'm sorry to hear that your medical care is not adequate because of insurance. That's just not right and so unfair. I wish I had the power to make the world right, I really do.

Take care, Andrea

Thanks everyone! I haven't thought that it may be kidney stones or in my vertebrae as well. All I know for sure is that it's in my lungs. Hopefully one day I will get some insurance again and maybe figure this mess out.

My back hurt so bad that I could hardly walk. One day this winter, I slipped on the ice and grabbed a mailbox as I fell. It pulled that area of my back and I thought for sure I was going to be a mess. My pain has almost disappeared. I'm thinking bone spur (sarc) broke off. Whatever, it was a blessing in disguise.

I also have lots of lower back pain. Some days its so bad that it hurts to sit. I was prescribed percocet as needed for the pain and when i use it, it takes the edge off but not the pain away. I thought it was just me, but seems like a lot of us suffer from this.

Hi. I can only sleep for 5-6 hours every night because the pain in my lower back/ left side is so great it wakes me up. I have to get up and move around and take painkillers. Once I'm up and moving it eases off. I find if I stay still for too long, either lying down; sitting; or even standing, the pain returns. I was only diagnosed with Sarcoidosis 6 days ago, and have no idea if it's one of the symptoms. I'm currently trawling through all the posts on here to try and find information...my doctor told me so little, and I don't know what to expect in the future. If you can help to shed any light by sharing information, I'd be very grateful. Thanks. Jackie :)

Yes when I first get up I am bent over for the first couple of steps then it finally clears up. Sorry to hear that your family is not being sensitive to you but we are here for you. No, but in their defense most people just dont understand the disease at all. Im the only one in my family that has it and even the people that I worked with, until I started having serious symptoms and being out for surgeries. I know how you feel about the age thing my body does and look like it wants to no matter what I do. And Im only 37 and it started acting up when I was about 30 years old. But I pray that you bounce back to a normal life, because there are cases where they just stop having symptoms and it went away!!!!! So hold your head up your deliverance can and will be on the way!!!!!Lord I pray that all the suffering I have been through will allow this disease to pass over this young lady never to return and never to show any signs or symptoms again in Jesus Name, Amen. Be blessed!

Yeah because God knows you need strength to raise that baby!

Thank you so much Wiselady! Your message made me feel alot better, it was nice waking up to reading that. God bless you as well and I pray that you are also healed.

Samantha:
Yes, I have lower and middle back pain. More on the right than the left. All the time. I believe it's from my Sarcoidosis. I don't care what the doctors say or think. They can't find any "physical" reason for it yet it's there. So...to my way of thinking it's just another "fun" effect of my Sarcoidosis. I'm sorry you have this. Back pain and toothaches are the WORST pain out there. UGH!!! I'm on a pain management regimine now. 25 mg of Amitriptyline every night at bedtime. Helps me sleep and keeps the chronic pain bearable. Doesn't get rid of it, just makes it tolerable. For now. Without the medication I would never be able to sleep. I know. I have lived with this pain EVERY SINGLE DAY since 1997! In 2010 I finally got the pain management going. Prior to that I wanted to die. I really did. I didn't want to kill myself, I just wanted to be dead so I didn't have to suffer any longer. Oh well.

But that's me. You could have something else going on. I've had all the tests so I know it's not kidney stones or a tumor or a slipped disc. If you haven't had all of those things ruled out, try to get that done.

Good luck!!

I woke up this past Thursday June 9 ,2011 and thought I had a terrible kidney infection. My back was breaking into. Went to doc, nope. Came home and Friday and Saturday morning I had to call 911 the pain was so bad. I really thought my back was broken, had CT scan, nothing showed, so they gave me hydrocodine to take. This pain is worst than having my second son natural. Now I am wondering if it is my neurosarcoidosis again. My sarcoid level is in the normal range on the high end and shows signs of Infection.So Doc upped my Metherxatrae up to 6 pills a week.Said my Neuro was not active! If it is not active , why is my sarcoid level on the high end of normal and showing infection.There is nothing on me or in me that does not hurt. What the H --- is going on?????

This is absolutely me. Some days I wake up so stiff I can hardly move. Other days my back is fine. This makes NO sense whatsover-and trying to find triggers is like throwing darts in the dark...

I can relate to the back pain. I have cervical and lumbar stenosis, arthritis of the spine and facet joints, bulging and herniated disks and bone spurs...none of which is sarc related. If it keeps hurting, make an appointment with an orthopedist.

I'm with you Sam, and SamW, looking for that truck that hit me during the night! For me, its not just the back, but everywhere! Some mornings my fingers and toes are so sore, and it is just a really hard few hours in the a.m.

Some days, just sitting down for an hour or two to enjoy reading a book or watching a movie, and I'm stiff all over!

heather

Omg, I feel. The same as you all do too some mornings are better than other but some morning I think the hit and run was done by two trucks....lol. I suffer with mid/lower back pain along with the pain in my fingers and In my feet. Sometimes I can barely stand to get out of the bed or walk down the steps to fix breakfast. I too have no insurance anymore because of the cost so, I haven't been to the doc in a while. I do try to do stretching in the morning which seems to help a little.....of course this is after I am able to move a little more. I also take emergenCy every morning and try to stay with everything natural to help me with my pain management since I have nothing for pain except over the counter meds . I prefer to keep it natural until I can see a dr. My primary has no clue about sarc and I need to look for another, but without insurance its hard. Hang in there Samanthab82 stay positive and believe that one day this will pass. I will keep you all in my prayers as we go through this . Don't forget to laugh even though its hard this also helps. I laugh at my self sometimes because I hurt so bad I have to slide down the steps......now if that is not a funny site of a grown a-- women sliding down the step lol
Good Luck

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders