Lung Calcification

I have a few questions. I have had Sarcoidosis since 1995. When I had my last CT scan my Dr. said that my granulomas and noduals had all calcified and that I had a lot of calcification in both lungs. Does anyone know what exactly that means? The Dr. wasn't very forthcoming with information. I would go to another Dr. but they are scarse here where I live so I don't have a lot of choice.

Please help,
Lanie

7 replies. Join the discussion

we might have to google that,but i'm sure the more knowledgable will soon respond....i wonder if thats the same as scaring??!!!

i have bing and used bing by just putting in lung calcification and wow alot to read,a real mixed bag. mostly meant benign granulomas,but some not so good,my guess is if the dr. showed no concern then thats good news for you.

Lung calcification occurs for two reasons. 1. it walls off what is causing inflammation. 2. It happens as a result of 1-alpha hydroxylase activity occuring in sarc granuloma which lifts blood calcium levels. As this system has poor feedback in normals, and even poorer feedback in sarcs, who are more sensitive than normals to vitamin D as a consequence, calcium builds up in the blood and urine. The body deals with the overload by dumping calcium in organs, on bone, in urine etc. This keeps blood levels within range. When calcium is high, phosphorus rises to bond with the calcium and it can sometimes cause ectopic calcification. Eliminate as much D from diet and stay out of the sun except for early and late.

Pris

Thank you so much for the info Pris! I knew you could probably give me some good info.

Sjs thank you too!

I just don't know what I would do without this site to go to for info. You all are the best friend in the world!!

Lanie

Pris,
What are the long term effects and outlook of this calcification. Also I have started coughing what feels like my insides up again. He doesn't seem worried or doesn't want to do anything other than the inhaler and nebulizer that I am already on. I am not on any predisone or longterm meds for sarc at the moment. He seems to think I am fine and will live to be 100. I sure don't feel fine!

Thank you for your time and thoughts,
Lanie

Hi MsLanie,

There have been few studies looking at the long term calcification in those taking vitamin, but calcification has been found in the brains of elderly people taking vitamin D and was found by accident in studies looking at depression in the elderly. The characteristic of D toxicity taken into acount by researchers is only whether a dosage promotes hypercalcemia. This may be setting the bar too high according to many cardiologists for toxic effects in the form of ectopic calcification occur at levels of vitamin D lower than that promoting hypercalcemia.

Calcification occurs in the brain promoting memory loss, depression and may even do other things.

Calcification occurs in the arteries of the heart causing occlusion and causing the heart muscle to die. Unless intervention is begun, death will ensue.

Calcification occurs in other blood vessels. Pieces can break off and block blood supply. This can result in all sorts of problems and can lead to death.

Calcification can occur in the lungs causing stiffening over time.

Calcification can occur on the end of bones forming spurs. This can lead to pain.

Calcification can occur in the kidneys and may result in stones or in calcinosis which can affect kidney filtering of toxins.

Calcification can occur in any organ and may alter function of the organ depending where it is.

Infants dying of other causes born to mothers who supplemented with vitamin D in Finland and Germany were found to have ectopic calcification in the heart as young as 6 days old.

In animal models of atherosclerosis, animals are fed a diet of vitamin D in order to simulate atherosclerosis in man. Animals which are usually herbivores don't normally have large amounts of D in their diet. Certain species of oats and potato do have large amounts of vitamin D, and animals grazing on these plants were found to have ectopic calcifications all over their bodies. Man is a primate and therefore we synthesize D and have a different D metabolism to animals, but this does not mean we can ignore animal models totally.

What I am learning about D shows that it is a Catch-22 for all humans, not just people with sarcoidosis. Because of the number of different polymorphisms being discovered with regard to enzymes creating and breaking down vitamin D, and the polymorphisms for the protein which binds D in the blood, scientists are beginning to discover that what it toxic for one person or one people, may be entirely different for another person or people. D binding protein polymorphisms show that high binders are less sensitive to D whereas low binders are more sensitive to D.

There is no consensus as what constitutes a normal D level and in fact, what may be normal for some, may not be normal for others, but even getting a range will be difficult.

Much media reporting about D is very flawed, and indeed journalists have been taken to task over this. A lot of money is tied up in D and many of the promoters of the substance lie about their interests. Some of the largest voices are nutritionists and not MDs. Many of them sell D over the internet with their wives as a front. Even a recent study published in the media made it sound that some people with low vitamin D live longer than others. This is not totally true. When you read the published medical paper, their findings were far more complex than involved to do with genetic polymorphisms etc and more science needs to be undertaken. Nevertheless it is an interesting finding and proves that different genetic makeups may indeed have lower D levels than what current standards dictate, and no harm came to them.

I have come to the conclusion, having seen a lung doctor myself today, that they are most unreliable. He says the changes on my lung are scars not clots. The pain I get lying on that side has nothing to do with my lung but is muscular. Muscular stuff usually goes away in time and this shows no sign of doing that, and it is not sore in the sense of muscle soreness, it is a burning pain. He also told me prednisone doesn't cause clots. Hemotologist and two GPs told me that it could cause clots. I have also read myself that prednisone can cause clots though you will not find it on every web site re side effects of prednisone. I also have read that sarcoidosis can cause abnormalities in Protein C and S. I also wonder if hypercalcemia can cause clots.

Pris

Pris

Pris,
Thank you so much for your reply! I don't know what we would do without you on here. You post has been most informative. I knew you could help me out. I don't post on here much but I alway read everything.
I have just went through 2 surgeries. One rectal and one bladder repair. NOT fun! Complications with both. I still haven't been released from the bladder surgery because it just won't heal right.

Thanks again
God Bless
Lanie

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders