Left side of face numbness

Appreciate any advice, I am looking for a primary dr, I went to the er, was diagnosed with headache/migraine with aura, 3 times in a month pain back of head , went to ear then to cheek bone numbness, then shoulder pain the neck pain, front and back , got prescribed naproxen took 2 pills and pain went away , now left side of face has been numb for 8 hrs help what's going on need advice awaiting neurology appt could take 3 months

12 replies. Join the discussion

Try a neurologist?

Calling around , 2-3 month wait don't know what else to do , guessing vitamin b-12 deficiency
Don't wanna go to ER again , but thanks

Got to an ear nose and throat guy with knowledge of the facial nerve. What you describe sounds like a manifestation of sarcoidosis called Heerfordt's syndrome. Also see an opthamologist to make sure you don't have uveitis with this. It also causes shoulder pain because it affects the sterno cleoid mastoid muscle with pain and weakness. You may also find you have a sore spot on the top left hand side of your head. The condition can affect taste, smell or hearing too. It can affect teeth and salivary flow. You may get a slight fever or have hot flushes. I am just getting over a bout of this and have had to resort to small doses of prednisone. Otherwise I would only be able to eat mashed up luke warm food and luke warm drink. You may also have dry eye on the side affected. Swelling of parotid and drooping of eyelid can occur.

The best article on this condition of late is a British one. http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Heerfordt's-Syndrome.htm

Make sure you read it all thoroughly to see if any of it applies to you. This article makes the point that you can have it on one side or both, or have some rather than all the symptoms of the condition. It also makes the point that when these symptoms and changes occur in someone with a sarcoidosis diagnosis, it is odds on that sarcoid is causing these symptoms.

Pris

Hello it also lies. It says once this thing has remitted it tends not to recur. What rubbish!! I have had over a dozen episodes and I was diagnosed with it while having a serious many months long reocurrence. Since having the first serious one, my sarcoid has never fully gone into remission and even while on immunosuppressive drugs, my blood tests remained abnormal.

Pris

What is your oxygen level? I had a lot of tingling and numbness once I was on O2 and now that my levels are good I don't have it anymore. I don't want to simplify this though it sounds like you may have several issues here. Hope things get better for you soon.

You should be followed by a neurologist. Now don't by alarmed if
he or she rules out stroke then they will not have an answer. I have these
episodes often,mostly my facial,arm & leg on my left side. As soon as the
predisone is increased I feel better. Who wants to take 40 - 50 mg of predisone.
We Sarkies have find the right answers to save our own lives.

numbness can be a sign of small fiber neuropathy which is common with us sarkies

I was told to see a nuerologist , all my test were normal , then I was told to see a psychiatrist , it's all in my head , I was on Xanax for 10 days I was ok , I am off it I feel like crap , I was on metoprolol , I had numbness, I Stopped taking it I an having severe coldness like hypothermia in my head , cold to the touch , hair felt like hay , thinking taking the heart Meds again to see , but bit b-12 helps nerves taking it for 1 week no numbness thinking deficiency of some sort

could be a deficiency. I also went a really good neurologist and he did every test and couldnt figure out why i had all this numbness that moves all around. I can have it in my face, hands, feet etc. Small fiber neuropathy can only be diagnosed at some of the bigger hospitals like hopkins or clev. clinic. I went to the clev. clinic. they do some specialized tests and do small punch hole biopsys (doesnt hurt at all) of your skin and evaluate the small nerves. Anyhow if the deficiency doesnt pan out for you look up small fiber neuropathy and see if that describes you. blessings

I had migraines before Sarcoid Dx. but then I began having diff HAs that were causing many symptoms and not responding to medications. I was placed on Neurontin and tried to work through them. I also have injections that I could give myself and take nausea medication. It made sense that it was migraine. But more recently when I was having much more complicated headaches that were causing a lot of nerve pain and numbness they discovered that the Sarcoid is in my menengies causing the severe pain and numbness and hypersensitivity in my face and shoulders and neck. Sarcoidosis can affect the brain and spine (CNS) involvement. Hope you find answers

Priscurl: You are very knowledgeable about Heerfordt's syndrome. I have most of these symptoms and a diagnosis of sarcoid (non caseating granulmomas in my lymph glands). I had uveitis for some time, then a sudden swelling of the right optic nerve. Severe pain in the shoulder, and neck. Sore spot on the top right side. Fluctuating hearing and smell. Dry eyes, diagnosed. Swelling in lachrymal glands. Drooping of right eyelid. Hot flashes and sweats. No fever as far as I can tell.
May I ask what your doctors have been prescribing for your flare? I am on methotrexate (25 mg a week) and 12.5 mg Prednisone. My doctors are trying to taper me off the steroids by upping the methotrexate but my concern is it may not work against Heerfordt's.
Many thanks.

Hello all thank you for the comments and and advice , unfortunately I don't have any of these symptoms you're describing , I was diagnosed with migraine-headache with aura , but who knows. Now I am seeing what's causing a sore throat for over 16 days

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders