Is Sarcoidosis Hederitary???

I have been diagnosed with Neurosarcoidosis my mother used to have plum sarcoidosis (lungs) in the 1970. Do I need to worry about my daughter getting it?? Or am I just seeing things and have nothing to worry about?

25 replies. Join the discussion

Some say yes, some say no. But if your daughter ever gets sick for unknown reasons or for any reason with upper respitory(sp) illness be sure to tell the doctor about the Sarc in your family.

My children's peditrician is aware of my condition so they watch my kids closely. I did find out I had a great aunt on my father's side with Sarc. And I have a cousin with Crohn's. So it could be another auto immune disease that could affect other family members not always Sarc.

Thank you for for responses, My daughter is 19 and in college. She has Juvenille Diabetes and we have her Doctors keeping an eye out for any hint of the sarc monster in her life. I was just wondering if I was starting to become a worry wart at my tender age of 45.

You are welcome. I know my daughter had an illness at about 5 that went undiagnosed and that was way before I was diagnosed, she is now 16. She spiked fevers as high as 104 and had raised bumps all over her legs, still has some scars today. They didn't know what was going on. After about 5 days of running back and forth to the doctor they gave her a triple antibotic that seemed to do the trick.

She has been healthy otherwise. Even when her brother had the chicken pox she didn't get them. I was on prednisone when I had her for what was then said to be a severe asthma flare up. Go figure may of been the beginning of Sarc. Who knows.

Yes thank you. Been thru combat twice but I have found dealing with this Neurosarcoidosis is harder then combat. At least in my tours I could identify and eleminate the enemy. Sarcoidosis no cause known and cure known. It is hard if can not identify and eleminate your enemy. And sarcoidosis is me enemy and prednisone is bad friend but does restrict sarcoidosis> Oo well rambling now sorry, I lean on my faith now and try to remember that if I am feeling pain then that is good cause I am still alive to fight.

and no cure known (forgot the "no")

Hereditary? They say your ethnic heritage determines ones susceptibility. So....lol what does that mean? No clue. Asthma runs in my family, but only my great-grandmother had a lung disease that she died from when my grandmother was 13 years old. She died from "consumption", what they used to call TB. My doctors have said it was probably Sarc. I am the only other one in my family to have it. I have my daughter remain knowledgeable about it and keep it in mind, but not worry. Good luck!

Thanks pccrasher it is about what I thought. I will keep my kids knowledgable just in case.

Hi! I have 3 daughters and a son - all grown, and the son is a grand-pop now. I've only had one, my oldest daughter, that had any indication of possible sarcoid. She had a small lesion on her lung which disappeared. The first lesion I had, I was about 4 years older than she is now. I don't worry about them getting it, so much as having them informed so they can be proactive, and get treatment early. My first lesion disappeared, but I started having heart symptoms before the next lesions appeared in 2003. In 2005 they changed and the pulm. did a biopsy and I was diagnosed. I only knew the shadows were there because of the routine x-rays from having cancer. The asthma was bad enough to mask the symptoms of the sarcoid, but even the people I worked with were concerned about me. When people are informed there is less to worry about. God bless! Great-Gram PS - I'm first born Scandinavian in the good old USA.

Great-Gram,
I found out about Neurosarcoidosis when it knocked me down. I fell at work and could not move for 12 minutes. Everybody including me thought I had a stroke. It took 2 weeks in the Hospital for the Dr's to decide what I had. I knew nothing about sarcoid, but now I know alot about it and look back over my history and see that I have had it since 1992. I do not want to see daughter find out the same way as I did. So i will keep her informed> Great-Gram I wish you health and painfree days as many and as much as possible.

My mom had it when she was very young and now i have it,so yes i believe it is hereditary.I constantly worry about my 4 year old son getting it.We watch him carefully for any signs.

Nascarfan24,
Sorry to hear that, and I will add your son to my prayers that the sarc monster passes him by.

From what I've understood after talking to doctors is that the answer is yes and no.

Sarc is an auto-immune disease, same as asthma and all the others. If auto-immune diseases run in your family then the chance of passing on one of these AI diseases is likely and sarc could be one of them. Asthma runs in my family but I ended up with sarc instead of asthma.

So the chances of them getting sarc over any other auto-immune disease because you have sarc isn't higher, I could be mistaken of course :) But I believe even though you have sarc you just have a higher chance of passing on an AI disease, not necessarily sarc itself.

Chrisr82
I understand that that why I keep my kids updated and so they keep it mind if something hurts?

Yes a form a sarc is inherited, I remember my mother having rhumetoid arthritist so badly, and she always complained of hurting all over, I remember she took the same medicine I'm taking: prednison time to time a form of muscle relaxers, just to try to feel better, she was on metetrexate . I thought, my mom was being dramatic, but she didn't have that kind of personality, but I couldn't figure anyone hurting all over until I found out, I have this wonderful sickness called sarcoidosis, and there are days when you do hurt everywhere. My son has rhumetoid arthritist, just diagnosised last month, so yes, it may not come as sarc, but it could be some other immune disease. So sorry to tell you this, but these things happen.

I think that Sarcoidosis is hereditary because my Mom had it in her lungs, liver, and spleen. I have it in my lungs, liver, and spleen and I worry about passing it to my children. I am the only child out of four that has the disease, but I wonder if any of my kids, or my kids kids will inherit it. Hopefully, this won't be the gift that keeps on giving.

Lisalee,
I definitly understand your fear and I share it. I have told people that sometimes Sarcoidosis is scarier then combat. Because in combat you identify the enemy and eleminate them, but with Sarcoidosis no known cause or cure. If you don't know your enemey you can not elminate them. Yes I believe Sarcoidosis has some hederitary genes even tho it has been proven, because it has not been disproven either. To all I will say keep your kids informed. Education can be a better defence then some drug therapies.

I have to agree with Chrisr82 in that Sarc is among the autoimmune diseases and the genetic tendency is to pass on or carry an autoimmune disorder, NOT necessarily Sarc.
I know a woman with 3 sisters. She and her sisters ALL have some sort of AI disorder..( sarc, MS, RA.). Their mom has had breast cancer. (I should mention that my friend feels there may also be an environmental element invoved as well.... like their drinking water)
My mother had a mild case that "disappeared " when I was born. My moms sister has had cardiac sarc for many years.
I have 2 children, 19 and 14. One suffers from asthma and seasonal allergies and the other has eczema. (asthma and allergies also run on their father's side of the family)
Having said all of that, there will probably always be someone that does not fit this genetic "profile", but do not let your guard down because I believe we can be carriers without actually showing signs of the disease.
Pam

NYNRSP,
Yes I do agree also. Tho I wonder if mine is genetic or caused by untested vacc. and drugs used on service meembers in the first Gulf War. OO well guess I will never know the turth for sure. So I will will be on guard and will keep my family informed and keep them on guard also.

I thank everyone for their veiws and thoughts it has helped to clarify my thoughts on this subject. May you all be blessed with pain free and loving days.

Greg aka Krumdawg.

im the only child out of 10 dx'd with pulmo sarcoid as of yet, I do believe mom had it but was never dx'd she had that same tickle in her thoat & cough I have, a friend of mine does have sarc & so does her sister, so who knows.

anniebannannie

I am starting to believe Sracoidosis is hederitary.
Tho I think my was caused by experiemental vacc, given to me and my team in the Gulf War and maybr the PB pills we had to take. But I will still keep and eye on my kids just in case.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders