iron deficency anaemia

Has any men become anemic with there sarcoidosis. Thank you

4 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Mario,
Anemia from sarcoidosis is pretty rare and usually a secondary symptom due to complications in an organ. The key to any anemia is really nailing down what it is and unfortunately most doctors just assume iron deficiency without trying to prove it. In my experience, most anemia in patient's with chronic conditions is actually due to "anemia of chronic disease" which results from all those inflamation proteins interfering with the signals to make new blood cells. These patients will have adequate if not an abundance of iron, they just can't use it.
In sarcoidosis there are a few other beasts to look for - direct kidney damage can cause it, spleen involvement can cause it and in some cases an autoimmune anemia can develop.

Again, in general, anemia is not a common complication of sarcoidosis.

Hi, my husband Rick has been told that he's anemic. We're wondering where's this coming from?? He having labs done to check it again. So we'll see what happens with those results & we'll go from there. Best of luck to you. I'll keep you posted with what we find out.
Reecca

Fascinating, as my iron levels went crazy in 2001 when my sarc symptoms started. Ferritin of 1000. Homozygote for the the CYP2 genetic test. 25 units of blood phlebotomized.

Two hematologists insisted I had no penetrance, just the high ferritin and saturations (TIBC).

No one has ever been able to explain the high ferritin and many docs have been puzzled. The dx of sarc was just this April. Wondering if high iron and sarc are related.

Hey Ellishamilton,

Ferritin is a protien that is a really good guage of a person's iron stores; it is also what is known as an acute reactant meaning it rises with inflammation (kind of like crp and ESR). There's a limit to how high inflammation will raise ferritin and as a general rule I do not attribute a rise of more than 300 to inflammation.
Ferritin is up in any chronic inflammatory state (like sarcoidosis among others) because the inflammatory response blocks the efficient production of new hemoglobin (anemia of chronic disease). There are conditions where high levels of iron can cause problems, but these are indicated by findings in the tissue and there is a preference for certain tissues in most cases.
So, in summary, the three main reasons for high ferritin are (in order of how common they are), blocking of erythropoetin and therefor unable to mobilize the stores to where they need to go, Hemosiderosis (high iron levels usually due to over exposure), hemochromatosis (genetic disorder that causes high iron levels and presents with tan skin and elevated glucose levels - the "bronze diabetic"). Without looking over blood work I can't tell you which of these might be most likely to explain your findings, but I hope the information is of use to you.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders