HOW TO GET RID OF THE COUGHING

I have sarcoidosis and everytime I laugh I cough and that is so embarrassing...any suggestion is appreciated.

40 replies. Join the discussion

Sweetpeach,
Yea, the coughing can really be bad. I used to cough so bad, I think I cracked a couple ribs. I make a tea with herbs to help with my lungs. Some folks here mentioned a combination of herbs in Breathe Easy or BreatheEZ, you can Google it. I think they sell it at Vitamin Shoppes. If you'd like to try some of my tea, let me know. It has Thyme and Sage in it, so if you would like me to make you some capsules, I could do that, too. Let me know. You could take some Sage and Thyme from your spice rack, put about a 1/4 teaspoon each in a cup of water and steep it, then drink it. Do that several times a day, and you should feel much better. Sage and Thyme have antibiotic and antiviral properties. And it's free, pretty much.
Mbeth059

I was coughing, too. My Dr. thought it was from the sars in my lungs but I wasn't having any difficulty breathing. After an MRI to rule out the lungs, he put me on Prevcaid which stopped it immediately. Apparently my throat stayed irritated from the acid reflex. I now take a 20mg capsule of omeprazole (they're cheaper) occasionally. Sometimes only once a week and I have not been bothered with coughing since. Good Luck.

My cough is finally slowing down aft some 2 yrs. I have lost all my friends and seldom speak to my neighbors and had to quit some groups I was in cause the people couldn't stand to hear my coughing. When I laugh I have a very strong dry, hacking, gagging cough so comedy movies are to be watched only at home now, not at the theaters which is becoming an issue cause I liked horror flicks but aft being poked, probed and cut so many times in the last 2 yrs I have a hard time with them too.
My nero suggested using mint cough drops all day. Not good with GERD. My GERD med seems to be helping some since I am taking it more often now, thank goodness.
I also drink slippery elm tea that I buy in a powder form 1/2 price on eBay. It helps with inflammation and a sore and/or irritated throat.
Hope I helped some.

thanks, everyone for responing to my question.I'm going to try the sage and thyme tea and i will keep you guys posted on my condidtion.

Prednisone! I hate the stupid pill, but it is the only thing that finally got rid of my coughing.

And for me sitting in a really hot bath or drinking really hot water would help too. Cold weather always makes the coughing worse, so the really hot water seemed to counteract the coughing.

gonenatural...I feel your pain. I know that the people in my office are so tired of hearing me cough! Sweetpeach you are lucky that laughing is the only thing that brings on a coughing fits. Mine can be brought on by a cold or hot drink, dust, laughing, and even breathing itself. People come up and pat me on the back (I hate that) and ask me if I am okay...ummm yes and i will answer you when i am done cough...cough...cough! They don't understand and I hope they never have to! I really don't do anything for my cough...just ride it out and apologize to those that have to listen to it.

Madolyn you crack me up, thanks for the humor

Madolyn,thanks for you reply to my question.reading what you had to say makes me feel so much better and knowning i'm not alone.. I agree with susan..lol thanks for the humor!

Everytime I go to the store to but it, I walk out without it, so I haven't got to try it (I am a bit of an airhead!), but I have heard that boiling ginger and drinking the tea is suppossed to help! I feel ya on the coughing!! I live on Ricola cough drops! Hope you don't have the same problem I do, a wonderful problem alot of us women get blessed with after giving birth! Ya know what I mean... Good luck, hope your cough subsides

Flovent inhaler does this trick for me. If I miss a single dose I'm back to constant coughing. I have a med cabinet full of every kind of cough drop and none of them worked. And Tuppermom I had three kids and definitely share your 'not so wonderful' problem...aaargh.

hey everyone..I really enjoy reading all the replies and it's feels so good to know that you are not alone and to have someone to ask and share your problems with.I went in for a lung test today and i just hope everything come out ok..I just gotten off prednisone a week ago.my Dr. put me back on it for 3 weeks to stop the coughing,but i'm still coughing. I just hope that when i see him on the 20th he will give me something other than synercard inhaler

Sweetpeach, I know how you feel. I cough all day and night and there are only two things that help me. Advair (which I stopped taking due to throat infections) & Prednisone (which I stopped due to all the other side effects). I am now looking for natural ways to control the coughing and shortness of breath. I will try some of the tea that was mentioned. I hope it works for you.

Hello Everyone This may help.
I don't think anyone mentioned if their cough was with phlegm. I have had lung sarcoidosis for several years and my main symptom is from time to time, a very bad cough with phlegm which does not go away and a nasty wheeze. (It never affects my nose as in a cold) I suck Fisherman's Friend cough sweets with menthol almost continuously which helps me suppress the urge to cough. Sometimes 5 days of 30mg of prednisolone a day cured the cough, or antibiotics, but recently I had been coughing since September, tried 10 days of 30mg prednisolone a day at the suggestion of my doctor to no effect , then took 25mg of Erythromycin antibiotic a day for a week, no effect. I asked my doctor for a double dose of Erythromycin antibiotics (2 x 25mg 4 times a day) which got rid of my walking pneumonia 2 years ago. After 5 days on the double dose of antibiotics I was thinking this will never go away and that night it even got worse!, but on the 6th day, miraculously the cough had gone. That was the first week in December, and I still am cough and wheeze free. I have reduced down to taking 2 x 5mg of prednisolone a day at present.
Also, I find that milk and cheese produce phlegm, so I drink soya milk and use soya margarine. I am also trying to buy foods without added Vitamin D.

Re the last post, that should have read 250mg of Erythromycin.

Dear Sweet peach I know how you fill I cough on a daily basis but I notice a herb tea such a mint and green tea every day has help me with my coughing this is an every day regiment.

hello everyone...I forgot to mention that I do cough up phlegm sometimes and is white and thick. nothing seem to help and my doctor also have put me on the breathing maching 3 times a day and that doesn't help either and recent he put me back on the presidone for 3 weeks still no help. guys, I'm so depressed until I don't know what else to do.. I'm trying the tea that beth059 mention.I hope eventualy it will kick in...

Methotrexate got rid on my coughing, I used to cough until I was sick. Not any more though.

Mark

SweetPeach,
Hi again. I make a tea with 20 herbs....sage and thyme are two of the twenty. If you'd like, I could make you some teabags or capsules and send them your way. Just let me know. My email address is memurillo@comcast.com. Or I could email you a list of the herbs. But when I buy them, I buy a pound of each. Just let me know. I would send you 42 teabags, enough for three weeks if you use two a day. Then if you want more, just let me know.
Mbeth059

Hey there ! I have the solution...stop laughing :-) ha ha ha ha ha ...okay for real though, I had the problem with coughing too, but since I have been on the methotrexate and prednisone, it has subsided. I didn't know about the sage and thyme tea, but my Dad, God rest his soul, had me using Dandelion Root tea. He used to pick the dandelions from the yard and cook them and have me eat them and drink the pot liquor...now I know y'all think I am crazy, but it worked. I couldn't control the coughing on the set and I had to take too many takes, because I was coughing so bad. Live TV was out of the question! So I started this dandelion kick and it helped. Now here is the trick DO NOT USE TREATED DANDELIONS if you get them out of your yard, hell that will make you sicker!!! Just go to the Health Food Store and get it packaged, Dandelion root tea - - add a little honey and enjoy. Hope this helps and yes don't forget the yams!
Madonna ( the 'Oprah' of Youngstown)

just checking in... hello everyone! thanks for all your wonderful replies and support.
have a wonderful Sunday!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders