Head Sweats

Hi Everyone,
It has been a while since I last wrote. I have been having some new problems and want to see if anyone else has them.
I have these horrible head sweats, during the day but especially at night. It is just the head and face it just pores off sweat at night. It isn't a hot flash, been through that it is totatly different. I can't sleep and my pillow is just soaked. I told my dr. and he put me back on prednisone at night 20mg and it isn't helping at all. I am at my witts end and am so fristrated that I can't sleep. Come on I live in Alaska and it is 10 degrees outside WHO SWEATS at night????? During the day the sweats just runs down my face and head. Could this be caused by something else?? I have been having problems with my vision also I see dark spots everywhere. Maybe these are connected?
Please if anyone has a suggestion please let me know!!!

Thanks

26 replies. Join the discussion

Dont know if it helps to know that I too have the same problem. I thought it was menepause, but I have since learned that it is a symptom of sarc.

Be blessed

Oh it was really terrible I had the sweats so bad in my face and head that I was embarrased to go anywhere. It was subzero here too and I was sweating. The cause for me was the prednisone and now that I am down to 7.5mg I rarely have these sweats. I hope to totally get off of this pred and its bad side effects. So good but soooo bad.

I have horribe head sweats and I am not on prednisone. One day my mother had thought that I washed my hair because it was soaking wet from the head sweats. It doesnt take much for my head to sweat, I can just be sitting there or walking around Walmart and it will look like I just ran a marathon. It is embarassing and it my have something to do with the Hypothamalus gland. I think our arch enemy sarc has paid a visit to the hypothamlus gland and caused our bodies heating system to become irregular.

I have had them for a long time, wet pillows the works. I believe it is the Sarcoid, however I also take meds for pain, Hydrocodone-APAP-5-325, this seems to set the sweating into motion. I just started injecting myself with Metoltrexate and this seems to control all for me. I get an outbreak every March on the clock, and the injections seem to be controlling my disease as never before, I have had it for 17 years.
Tippy

How often do you need to replace your pillow because of this? I have wanted to ask that question for a long time. I sure can make some ancient looking pillows in a very short time. I cut off a lot of my hair to try and help this issue. It would be dripping. It is now just wet when I wake up.

Now this is an interesting discussion. I too have suffered embarassing head sweats. However, now that I'm reading this I realize that I haven't had one in quite some time. I'm wondering if it's medication related.

I do a lot of driving around for business and used to carry spray hair gel in my car. When things would get really bad I'd spray the gel in my hair and scrunch it -- to look like I intentionally wanted the wet look. Pretty funny since I'm in my 50's! Dealing with the reddened and dripping face was a lot harder to mask.

I've had head sweats for a long time and it freaked my 85-year-old mom out when I visited her recently. She kept commenting on how red my face was and I kept telling her that it was common and that my internal thermostat was kepot because of the sarcoid but I don't think it helped. She thought I was dying and kept trying to make me go into the hospital! Sometimes we just have to have a sense of humor with these weird things. What else can you do?

't

I have them, too, and they might be influenced by the sars but mine seem to be more anxiety driven.
I am more apt to have them when I am in a hurry getting ready to go somewhere. I have even kept damp wash cloths in the freeze to hold them to my neck and face.
Also, when I drink red wine I get them. If I take anti depression meds they seem to lessen. But I really don't know. It just seems there are so many symptoms to keep up with that I just kind of lost track of them.

I had the night sweats for a long time while I was not on meds. I dont get them anymore but do still sweat more than most when the weather is warm. Thats life with sarc!

I have head sweats all day long and have had for many years. Actually just came back from the hair salon where I had my long hair cut very short. Hoping that will help a little as we are entering our hot humid summer here in FL. I have a ceiling fan over my chair and a fan I turn on myself at night. Any exertion also starts the dripping on the forehead and under the eyes. However, some of mine might be influenced by my diabetis. Have you had your blood sugar checked as sarcoid has led to diabetis for me since it affects the liver and pancreas which releases the insulin in your system?

LOL! I'm sitting here reading these posts as I experiences "hot flash" that only affects my head & face busting out in a sweat I've been dealing with this for a while, always thinking its menopause. As cold as it's been in the New England, I keep the window in my bedroom cracked AND the ceiling fan going for relief. It helps some but a good night sleep is out of the question. FLASH ON, BLANKETS OFF. HA! HA! HA!

I hope everyone is having the best day possible. Stay strong.

Stormie

I have them too. Sweat just pours down my neck and forehead. Short hair doesn't absorb it and some days I carry a wash rag and have to dry my hair off and on through the day.

I thought it was prednisone, but after reading this maybe it is Sarc affecting a gland or something. Seems to make more sense. For one thing the head sweats come and go in spells of several weeks like a flare... and prednisone is every day.

my middle name is sweat LOL. I have had a horrible time with this since I was diagnosed. It makes the makeup run, and just gives you the all around feeling of yuck

I wake up so very hot in the early hours, I have to fling off the covers and cool down. When I'm cold, I can go back to sleep again. This happens a lot.. As I'm typing this, I'm getting hot flushes. Guess I'm having a bad sarc week again. When it's really bad, I wake up with a soaking pillow. Just had to replace my pillows again! I used to wash them, but now it works out cheaper to buy cheap pillows and throw them away.

I find that eating breaks me out in a sweat too. My boiler seems to get all stoked up when I've eaten.

Mark

I too have these head sweats and they are so embarrassing. My hair gets soaked and my neck and face. I really hate this. I am on prednisolone 10mg per day. I think it is the sarc that causes it not the pred. Love Jane

Hi Jane,

You're right about the sarc causing it. It was one of my first symptoms, of the first big flare up I had. I still wake up with night sweats, and I also get them during the day at the moment.

Mark

I also get head sweats. I've had them about 2 years now. Also, under my eyes as someone mentioned. I have never had sweat under my eyes before this. I'm not currenly on any pred or other sarc meds. I keep my hair very short. Lately it has also gotten thinner.

Everyone have a good weekend.

Virginia22

Hi Homerdarter,
I wanted to ask you if you have seen an opthamologist about the "dark" spots you are seeing? Eye issues with sarc. can happen and if you haven't seen anyone yet you need to asap!!
Head sweats-I will blow my hair dry and less then five mins. later, especially the right side, it soaked. It is mainly at the base of my neck. Night sweats are bad also. I too believe it to be the sarc. Had it before pred., gone after some time on pred., back now that I am off pred.
Be well, Michelle

I used to have this type of head sweats. I saw a doc who specializes in Lyme and other tick borne illnesses. I was diagnosed me with Babesiosis which is a parasite that causes sweating as a major symptom.

I was on Malarone & Zithromax for 4 months. The sweating has stopped. I no longer have to change clothes 3 times after taking a bath or jumping in the shower.

For more info:

http://www.lymeinfo.net/coinfections.html

Thanks for your answers and support. I hope I can find some kind of answer soon it is driving me crazy.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders