gums hurt and bleed

does anyone have a problem with their teeth and gums? For about 2 weeks now my gums and teeth really hurt. My teeth are sensitive to cold and my gums look red and swollen and bleed a little when I floss them. I am on prednisone and methotrexiate too.
Just another problem to add to my list ; . (

13 replies. Join the discussion

This is a frequently described symptom of a lot of sarcoholics and I think it is something that can happen with us. But why it does it with some of us and not with others I have no idea good luck with your symptoms. Gene

thank you!

I had the same problem for a while while on methotrexate. I went to the dentist and be said it is a symptom of methotrexate. He had me rinse with salt water for a few days and also gave me a rinse. I had problems until I started remicade. I would suggest seeing your dentist to give you an opinion. Hope you find some relief!

I don't know about methotrexate, but I had the same problem when I was on a steroid inhaler (Asmanax). If you are using one of those, it definitely could cause the symptoms you describe.

That has been an ongoing problem with me. I am pretty sure it is related to the MTX. At first I thought it was a tooth problem and I had the same tooth x rayed three times. And sometimes the side of my tongue would be sore kind of like it feels like when you bite it.
My Dr. increased my folic acid and it helped for a while. For the last week or so a different spot in the back of my mouth on my gum is bothering me.
I have almost stopped eating apples because I never knew when my mouth would hurt. The last two times I had my teeth cleaned it just about killed me. I have put it off two times and I know I have to go soon.
The dentist has given me different rinses to use but I found plain old peroxide works best for me.

I am not on any medications right now except for natural antibiotics (bee propolis, garlic and olive leaf extract). I had ongoing problems with gingivitis and tooth pain on or off the steroids. I accidentally discovered that when I took a teaspoonful of Manuka Honey every night, the bleeding of my gums and the pain went away. So, I take it faithfully every night and make sure I swish it around good all over my mouth. :) Don't know if it'll give similar results to others, but it worked for me. Google it and you can get it in the USA. It's a natural antibiotic, antifungal, anti-all kinds of things....it's used to treat MRSA and wounds as well.

That's interesting! I will have to check that stuff out. I too have mouth and gum soreness, but mine happens when my inflammation is getting really bad. I also get glossitis (inflammation of the tounge). it gets VERY sore with cut like lesions on it. Its always a good indicator that its time for me to get a depo medrol shot.

WOW.....thanks so much for this great info about the honey. I will try and find it here.
Thanks so much!

I'm on prednisone, not meth, but my gums hurt and they are "furry," for lack of a better term. Acidic foods make things worse. I'm on 40mg of pred daily.

I looked on line and there are several brands of the Manuka Honey.......are they all the same or is there a certain one to get?
Thanks for your help,
Janice

Ask your dr for a cousre of Nystantin, you may have thrush, this also goes for the white furry stuff on your tounge in the am.

I was on Methotrexate for a year, but had to stop taking it because my mouth got so sore.....if I ate toast, it felt like I was eating a pumice stone. Plus I had to start rinsing my mouth with 50% Hydrogen Peroxide and 50% water. I still us it because of using Prednisone and inhalers. Hope this helps. I'm also going to look for that honey. I never heard of it before.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about the toast. Sometimes it would feel like I bitten down on a piece of glass.
Like I said the hydrogen peroxide rinse helped me more than anything and the increase in folic acid. But I still have days when my entire mouth is sore but I don't think it's as frequent or last as long as it used to.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders