Enlarged liver~ What next?

Well I got some of my CT results already. My Family doctors office called and said that I have an enlarged liver. Whatever that means. Anyway I have to go in next week and have some blood work done. So does anyone else have an enlarged liver?? Is this a symtom of Sarcoid?

19 replies. Join the discussion

Not sure about enlarged liver but know my liver enzymes have been up for the past 3 years. Pulmonary can't explain it and thought it was part of the Sarc since no other lives symptoms exist. Going to make an appointment with my PCP to have him do a thorough check.

I have a very sarcy liver..and spleen and lungs and lymph and bones..
Blood work would not prove sarc issues in my liver as liver function is still good. A PET scan proved where all my sarc exists.
Have you had a PET scan to know where all your sarc is?

I was told that I have an enlarged liver but never thought about it being associated with Sarc. I'll have to talk to my Dr's about it.

An enlarged liver is quite common but the good news is the liver can take quite a bit of damage before being affected. Most sarcs do have liver damage to some degree but frequently there are no symptoms apparent so the liver is left alone.

The thing to watch are the liver function tests and cholesterol tests. If these go haywire then I suggest having a liver biopsy done. It may not necessarily be the sarc causing the problem but the biopsy will give you a clear picture.

Hope this helps

Keith

Yes, my husband does have an enlarged liver do to the sarc. The docs told us that he will have a repeat ct or mri in 6 months to see if his liver has gone back to normal size and if the nodules in his lungs have shrunk or gone away.
Raindrop

i have an enlarged liver and it finally was biopsied aft some 4-5 yrs. Ends up it was from a med I was taking, as was suspected by 2 other drs and a pharmacy but the drs wouldn't do a biop to cover the dx'ing dr's behind.
now i have to be careful with meds and should lose weight and i should be ok.
hopefully my biop was done correctly.
gn

I have sarcoid of the liver and it's caused cirrhosis. I've had the liver sarcoid for 25 years. I've had a couple of biopsies and my liver enzymes have always been slightly elevated. Who knows why I have the sarcoid in my liver. I've also got cardiac sarcoid and it's in my eyes as well. Have your liver enzymes checked and, if sarcoid's suspected, have a biopsy done. It could just be fatty liver or hepatitis, too.

I have an enlarged liver the dr is sending me for a biopsy in the next few wks, he said he is sure i have it in the liver but also he said i have a fatty liver as well..Im not sure what that all means so im waiting for the biopsy to see what the next step is. Can anyone tell me what the difference is wit a PET scan and an MRI scan?

Hi! I don't have sarcoid in the liver that I know of, but I will keep you in prayer! This is just one disease that is so unpredictable. Hang in there! Great-gram

Yes, I, too have the enlarged liver. My primary Dx is Hepatic Sarcoidosis. There is pain involved. Of course, I also have it in my heart, spleen, & I have gall stones (don't know if that is related to sarc). I wish you well.

When your skin starts itching, you'll know your liver is probably permanently damaged. I have Hep Sarc. My liver had sharp shooting pains for years I thought were gas. Now, it pretty much hurts all the time in a low grind pain. Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies. It helps so much. I am going for more blood work on Wednesday.
Ellj,
I have been trying to get my doc to give me a PET but she wont do it. Says only if cancer is suspected.
I am also going for a broncoscopy on July 1 for my lungs. I have had lung sarc for 14 years but my pulm wants to take a look see and make sure nothing new is going on in there.
Thanks for all the prayers

Hi
Keith is right-on. The liver can take alot. Around 88"my liver and spleen were so engrossly large you could see them. I could actually feel them smack together. No lie. After awhile I was set up for a biopsy the day I was scheduled they went back to normal. Just a bizare gift from our Disease.

Yes I have an enlarged liver with a map of the English countryside on it complete with the railway system criss crossing it . I was told that it was sarc of the liver but I have just been trying to make my liver large enough to feed as many worms as possible we should try and be reasonable to the little ones you know.

LOL...thanks rarity! I needed that. Sounds like a good plan to me and since I am not going to be enbalmed when I die I should feed even more..I'm going organic..LOL. I have already checked my state laws on it. Wooden casket and all. Worm dirt. From dirt thou was made and dirt thou will return.

I too have an enlarged liver since 2003 my enyzymes have been high since then too. I had a liver biopsy it confirmed sarc in the liver. My spleen were so enlarged that they met in the middle of my chest causing more breathing problems. I had the spleen remove in 2005 it weighed 3lbs and was ful of sarc the surgeon said the liver was damged and i have cirrois of the liver now. I have never drinked or taken any kind of drugs. now I refuse most if not all of doctors medication to keep from damging liver more if pain gets too bad I go to emergency room IV pain meds.
Good Luck
Barbara

Hi!! I have had an enlarged liver since I think the doc said 2001 give or take a bit...I have not been diagnosed with sarcoid yet but my mom and brother both have sarcoid...they finally did a liver biopsy 1.5 weeks ago and the results came back not so good..the doc said that i am one step below cirrhosis of the liver (non-alcohol)..my pressure in my liver was 20 when i guess its suppose to be way below that..the doc is not sure but thinks I may have autoimmune hepititis..I never even heard of that until last wednesday...I have been sick since I was 7 years old and am now 37 yo...I have been diagnosed with: autoimmune hemolytic anemia, Evans Syndrome, CVID (common variable immune deficiency), blood clots in my leg and lungs, I am now on oxygen 24-7, and now possibly the autoimmune hepititis, and almost cirrhosis of the liver.....I tell ya, never ask what next cuz there could be more coming...the doc is thinking of putting me on prednisone and i was reading that i will probably have to be on the darn stuff forever at a lower dose but we will see....I sure hope things work out for everyone on here...Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!! :):)

I also have an enlarged liver, but all of my liver function tests are normal, so the doctor says it's not currently a concern. Hang in there.

hi i was just wandering.were does your skin itch, i have itching in my head there are little bumps.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders