Dupuytren's Contracture...Sarc related?

I have been struggling with this for 30 years. 3 operations and another one coming soon.

Dupuytren's contracture usually begins as a thickening of the skin on the palm of your hand. As Dupuytren's contracture progresses, the skin on the palm of your hand may appear puckered or dimpled. A firm lump of tissue may form on your palm. This lump may be sensitive to the touch but usually isn't painful.

Later symptoms
In later stages of Dupuytren's contracture, cords of tissue form under the skin on your palm and may extend up to your fingers. As these cords tighten, your fingers may be pulled toward your palm, sometimes severely.

They don't know the actual cause, most common in older men of northern European decent. But they do know it happens because an overactive immune system is attacking the body...sound familiar? So, maybe the Sarc has been with me most of my life.

3 replies. Join the discussion

I'm sorry..I haven't heard of that. But it sounds very similar to Scleroderma-which causes similar changes in tissue & is also auto-immune related. I wouldn't be surprised as many of us w/sarc have overlapping auto-immune issues/diseases. What can they do for it?

Hi areyoukiddingme,

In answer to your question: are sarcoidosis and DC (I won't respell it out) connected????

the answer is: yes and no.

DC is a fibrotic disease like sarcoidosis, but not all people with sarcoid develop fibrosis.

The likely link with DC and Sarcoidosis are that both diseases are common in the Eastern Germanic/Slavic races. This means Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland. You can add to that anywhere Viking blood went - Iceland, Shetland Isles, Orkney Isles, the Western Isles of Scotland, Isle of Man, as well as certain parts of Scotland, England and Ireland, plus northern Italy and northern France.

In certain parts of the UK. people didn't really move about that much until the industrial revolution hit in the 1770s

I have sarcoidosis and my mum has DC. She had her hand operated on about 4 years ago and the contracture grew back quite quickly and pulled her little finger over onto her palm. She had the same op performed by another surgeon and it was very successful. That was in Feb last year. So far it has not grown back.

Mum and I have Irish and Scottish roots, with her great great grandmother being a Manson from Caithness in Scotland. The Vikings definitely went there in the 800s to 1200s. Manson derives from Mansson which is the Scandinavian form and means son of Magnus. Magnus Barelegs was king of Orkney. The Mansons remained in Caithness pretty much until the industrial revolution, so the blood and genes remained in the community. I have Mansons from Thurso (Thor's River) marrying into Mansons from Olrig in Caithness. Mansons married into the Sutherland and Gunn clans who were also Viking derived. Likewise with the Irish, though I know far less about them, probably some Viking heritage there too, since the Vikings were founders of Dublin in the year 888. Additionally, my Dad was northern Italian. The Normans who invaded Northern France and Italy, as well as England in 1066, were originally Norsemen of Viking descent.

Caithness and the Scandinavian countries have the highest incidence of inflammatory chest diseases in the world.

You almost certainly have scandinavian blood within four generations or have additives due to genes remaining in one community for several hundred years. People were not terribly mobile before 1750.

So the commonalities are they are both Viking Diseases which cause fibrinogen to be laid down.

Priscurl

That's interesting, I've been diagnosed with sarc for 12 years and I just had the contracture surgically repaired in the ring finger of my left hand a couple months ago. I'm 50, female, and I keyboard all day at my job and I've had carpal tunnel for many years, from working at factories before I went to college at 26. When it started, I thought it was from the carpal tunnel and I just casually asked my nurse practitioner about it, "what is this?" and he said you have to get that taken care of. I don't know that it's related to my sarcoidosis, but I do know since the surgery I've had so much pain in that finger and hand that I believe is from sarc. It aches and hurts now, though the contracture is gone. What scares me now is if it happens in more fingers and I have to get it taken care of and will it hurt as much after as this hand does? I do think sarcoidosis gets more active around any surgical site I've had in the last 5 years. But I don't particularly feel that my sarc and the DC were related until after the surgery. The Scandanavian connection is interesting, I think I'll look at my family tree and see if there's any of that blood back there. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's mostly English and French. Take care, C.J. aka CoCobread

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders