DOES ANYONE HAVE A SIBLING WITH A DIFFERENT AUTO IMMUNE DISEASE?

HELLO EVERYONE, IM FAIRLY NEW HERE AND I WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU HAVE A SIBLING WITH AN AUTO-IMMUNE DISEASE. I WAS DIAGNOSED LAST OCT. WITH SARCOIDOSIS. MY BROTHER WHO IS 10 YEARS OLDER THAN ME BEGAN TO HAVE SYMPTOMS THIS JAN. AND AFTER 4 MONTHS WAS SENT TO THE MAYO CLINIC WHERE THE DOCTORS HAVE DIAGNOSED HIM WITH CHAUG-STRAUSS SYNDROME. THE DOCTORS TOLD HIM THAT IT WOULD BE EXTREMELY RARE FOR US TO HAVE DIFFERENT AUTO-IMMUNE DISEASES. IM THINKING MAYBE SOMEONE GOT A MISDIAGNOSE. WE HAVE SOME OF THE SAME SYMPTOMS BUT HIS DEALS ALOT MORE WITH HIS NERVES IN HIS LEGS AND FEET. LITTLE ELECTRIC SHOCKS PREVENT HIM FROM SLEEPING. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK. THANKS AND GOD BLESS, RAVEN

42 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Raven,
I'm so sorry to hear that both you and your brother are suffering. I have 4 sisters, all of whom have some sort of auto-immune disease. Plus our mother had both thyroid disease and PF from which she died. So far, I seem to be the only one with PF brought on by my sarcoid. All of our different doctors are aware of our familial situations, but so far none seem connected.
Good luck and best wishes for your treatments.
Roxanne

Greetings, my brother has MS. I do not believe it is uncommon for auto-immune to run in families even if different diseases. There are many people here in the same boat as my brother and me. Gary

My older sister has Lupus and Epstein-Barr

My sister has rheumatoid arthritis and takes methyltrexate for her issues.

One of my sisters has the same auto-immune as me, Sjogren's Syndrome, and another has MS. I am being tested for a 2nd auto-immune disease Scleroderma.

My older brother has Myasthenia Gravis.

Husband has sarc and his sister has Lupus

HEY THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES, I GUESS ITS NOT SO UNCOMMON FOR TWO SIBLINGS TO HAVE DIFFERENT IMMUNE DISEASES, SOMETIMES I THINK WE KNOW MORE THAN THE DOCTORS. THEY SHOULD PAY US FOR OUR INFORMATION.
THANKS RAVEN

My mom has Lupus. I have been diagnosed with sarcoidosis. She was diagnosed in her early forties same here.

I was diagnosed with sarc in March. My identical twin sister was diagnosed with CIDP 16 years ago (chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy), an autoimmune disease that destroys the myelin sheath of peripheral nerves.

My brother has ms

I was diagnosed 10/08 with sarc and my brother has MS.

30 years ago my Mother died of RA at age 55. At the time her doctors aid it was the most severe case they had seen.

My sister had rheumatic fever at 10 years old.

My Father died 6 years ago. He had cardiomyopathy, diabetes and kidney problems.

I was diagnosed with sarcodisis 5 years ago.

In each case the family member was very ill over an extended period of time.

Who really knows what people really suffered from years ago. I remember a time when it was said...well, he or she was old, got sick, and then they died.

Do a search on the web....says there are 63 autoimmune disorders..check them out. Hope you are having good days.

One of my sisters had Lupus and one has Fibromyalgia. My Rhum. Dr. can't say if I have Lupus or Scaroid, my MRI report, just says multible spleen nodules suspect for lymphoma but my blood work looks good except for a high ANA . My oncologist thinks it maybe scaroid because I am from the midwest (Michigan) and I is more common there, has anyone heard that before? I am having another MRI and see if it has changed and maybe go for another biopsy to see if we can get a dianosis.

What does PF sand for?

DEAR DESIGNING-WOMAN , I BELIEVE PF MAY STAND FOR PULMANARY FUNTION-A TEST FOR YOUR LUNGS-I THINK?

Pf is pulmonary fibrosis. This is the scarring of the lung.

I have a sister with MS and I have two auto immune diseases ~~ Sarcoidosis and Auto Immune Hepatitis. I have more issues with the Auto Immune Hep though.

...I have a maternal first cousin with MS.

My sister has Lupus

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders