Dental Work

I have scheduled oral surgery to have 4x implants installed. My blood counts are always up in the Winter, down in the Summer, so now is the time, I hope.
Has anyone else had experience with this while having Sarcoid?

15 replies. Join the discussion

I say good luck cause I am terrified to have my teeth fixed. Last time I went I was given 10 shots of novicane and it didn't work and the dentist had to work without it. Dentist was more then confused why the med didn't even touch me. I don't know what to do now. I need some work done.

My internist said no-no to dental work. I had been on Prednisone and it can affect the healing process and that could bring on infections. So I declined to have the dental work completed.

Please check with your main Doctor as the last thing you need or want to deal with are infections. We normally have enough.

Good Luck in you choice.

Boo

I have bumps/lumps/lesions in my mouth...a soft round granuloma on the inside of my cheek, a hard protrusion on the bottom palate and a non healing lesion on my upper gum. I'm embarrassed to go to the dentist. I had another granuloma on my lip but I had it cut off. All this growth happened in a one year period and has stayed.

Due to Sarcoid, I have broken so many teeth, and may need all of them pulled due also to the dry mouth associated with the illness and meds.

Absbel... Those numps/lumps/lessions in your mouth are the area of the ENT, I went to mine, and he removed them, they are caused by Sarcoid. They will give you meds to help the heal them.

I have also noticed that some pain meds do not work with me. Not just with dental, but with opioids, etc. My dentist pre-meds me with 1000 mg of penecillin before treatment. He also uses epinepherine in the shots, which holds it in the area longer. My teeth, too are awful from the sarco. The dentist says that those of us with hight blood calcium may have it pulled from bones or teeth, causing cavities and osteoporosis. Yet another problem for us "Sarkies".

i know that my dentist (who is very well versed in sarcoid) says regular necessary dental work only when you are on prednisone and he also puts me on antibiotics. not to scare you but the implants may or may not be rejected by your body. best of luck to you! eileen

Thanks, Smilinginside, looks like you have been down a hard road. I read some of your posts. Well I can only hope for the best, I will let all know how I did tomorrow afternoon.

Tippy

I was long ago advised not to have epinephrine -ever...and that sarcies should not have it. causes great leaps in adreniline, shakes etc. My dentists have always used cytinest (sp?) which is not as strong but works. may need a few more injections but it works. I also take arnica 30 before and after extractions.
Has anybody experience with root canal treatment ?pros and cons please.
best wishes and happy new year to all
seabird

I'm not on pred any longer but am on a high dose of remicade. I'm scheduled to go to the hospital next month to have my bottom two very impacted wisdom teeth surgically removed. My jaw is hurting so much the surgeon said I need a couple of other teeth pulled to reduce crowding, braces, and two additional surgeries. One to brake my jaw and move it forward and over at least 9mm and another one to remove soft tissue causing some sleep apnea. I am very concerned that the surgeries might entice the sarc to invade my jaw as well?

I want to take care of my teeth and jaw as it will be one less thing to worry about down the line but at 38 the surgeries won't be easy. Does anyone have any info on the odds of the sarc moving into my jaw because of all the work and surgeries?

Thanks for the reply, I just came from the oral surgeon and now have 4x implants, in regards to Sarc, I don't know.

Tippy

I really dislike going to the dentist. Sacroid has shattered three of my teeth - actually prednisone.I know and realize that I am taking a chance/risk not going to the dentest. Because if my teeth are not taking care of I can get endocorditis -inflammation of the lining of my heart. Dentists hurt, sometimes I feel like areal coward but I will not go to the Dentist.
Linda

Hey tippy, glad it went well for you! SMILE!!!!! stay well! eileen

Just recently, my WBC were 3.9. The norm is 4.0-10, I think. She said that her count is 3.8 and it was nothing really to worry about. I plan to have more test.

That makes perfect sense as I always ask them to hold the epinephrine since I get palpatations so badly whenever it was given to me. The novacaine doesn't last as long but I would rather get additional shots than deal with the feeling I get with . I never knew there was a correlation between sarc and the reaction I get to epinephrine. I always learn something on this site. Thanks

As far as root canals which I have had recently, I don't have any heart involvement and am not on prednisone so I have never needed any special prep.

I am on Actonel and there is a warning if you take that or Fosomax or one of those type of drugs that you need to tell the dentist before there is evasive dental work needed such as a tooth extraction. There is a condition that can cause bone loss in the jaw or heed the healing process in the mouth if you are on one of these medications. Good luck I have had so many root canals I think I have put my dentists children through college.

re: fosamax. my sarc consultant confirmed that it does affect the jaw bones. forgot the name, but very serious degenerative problem, so must tell the dentist if you are on it.
I also learned that if you have specific metal allergies (found by costly testing) you should be cautious about root canals. I am allergic to cadmium, which is in one of the products used for root canals....one never knows what this sort of thing does to our immune systems.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders