Day Sweats

I often hear of people having night sweats caused by sarcoidosis or the grocery list of meds that we take to combat and treat it. Does anyone get day sweats? I can just be sitting in my recliner room temp @ 70 and I just start beading sweat down my arms back and chest.
Thank you
Patrick

35 replies. Join the discussion

I break out in a sweat when I eat hot food. I don't know if this is related, but I thought it was weird.

Michele

Patrick I sweat all day long if I take Aspirin. I thought it was hot flashes from menopause. . I take Aspirin so I don't get drowsy from pain meds during my work day. An hour or so later I'm sweating profusely. If I don't take Aspirin and just take my pain meds. I don't sweat. I don't know if you are taking anything but I just got this sweating from Aspirin in the last 2 years or so. I was diagnosed with Sarc in 2004.

For the last couple years. I would have episodes where I would be at the store with wife and kids and I would start sweating PROFUSELY I mean to the point I was very self concious.

I also had the weird cool to the touch skin thing. Like clammy.

Cheesy pops
My symptoms almost identical nothing in particular sets if off it sort of feels like I am in a sauna with the thermostat set on 125 degrees fahrenheit and the weird cool to the touch skin thing how can we be sweating and be cool to the touch WEIRD....

Hi Patrick,
YES !!! I have had this problem for years.. I sweat like there is no tomorrow. I don't have to be on any meds or anything special to do this. I read where other people have night sweats and are drenched in the mornings when they get up.. I'm not that wet in the mornings..just sticky feeling, like I've sweated, not profusely. Keep my thermostat really low at the house..you could hang meat it's so cold..but unfortunately, nothing helps...or at least nothing that I know of. Good luck to you.

Becky

Yep, day sweats, night sweats and when I was working I could at least turn the client in the chair so they couldn't see me while I cut their hair. I'm not working now but I still have the sweats. I thought at one time it was my old lady age with the change of life and all; it truly feels like constantly breaking a fever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Interesting to hear you all having the same thing.

My husband sweats so profusely that the area he sleeps on develops a gray shadow on the bedsheets..he is an immaculate man so we just assume his body is ridding itself of toxins. No doc thinks this is a big deal. We throw away his dress shirts for work about every 3 months and buy new ones..t shirts which are necessary even in this AZ 110+, because of the sweating, last about a month or so..

I can't help but wonder if anyone has other symptoms besides sweating during the day. Not only do I break out in sweat when eating hot food as I said above, I also have what I call "attacks". These attacks include breaking out in cold sweat, dizziness, nausea and sometimes vertigo and vomiting.

Michele

Yes, to all the above!! I sweat ALL the time, it could be 10 degrees and a blizzard outside and I am in a t-shirt and sweaty! I also have the attacks that Michele describes, where you get really dizzy and nauseous and the rooms spins-usually happens when I am in the grocery store or someplace public and I just have to shut my eyes and hold on to something until the worse of it passes.

The doc did give me a script for a prescription deodorant and it helps that area a little but it burns so I only use it occasionally. One of the docs said we could do botox injections in the sweat glands but thats expensive and not covered by my insurance. I am also not sure about injection such a toxin into my already toxic body!

I too have sweats during the day. If I don't have a fan on my I will bead the sweat so bad I have to have a heavy towel behind me so I don't soak my chair. And like Michele I also sweat while I eat hot foods. My husband laughs when I go to wipe my forehead while I am eating. I had a hysterectome back in 1997, so I know that it isn't caused from menopause. I dont't sweat all that much during the nights as we try to keep our house rather cool. My skin is also cool to the touch. I every took my temp because I thought I might have a fever but it was normal. If anyone finds out way this is happening please let the rest of us know about it.
Nikki

That is what I also am doing. I was DX about 2 years ago and have sweated enought to form a river, day or night, night or day. Also am cool to touch. Before I was DX I use to call it my spells, still looking for a reason or something to help with this, any one out there have any thoughts.????I am 67 and have sarcoidosis and looking for a answer. Thanks, Judy4

I don't sweat but get so hot, any time, any place, whoo, have to get the jumper off, winter in Oz right now. Went through menopause years ago so it isn't that but feels like it. Maybe it's the inflamation in our bodies??

I too get hot flushes, without the sweating. They're quite uncomfortable and achy, and I feel a little unwell while they are there, only last about 5 mins, but I have to stop what I'm doing, and find I can't concentrate. Any ideas on how to remedy this?

Patrick,

Would you call what you have attacks, also? If not, sorry for me butting into your thread.

I can't figure out a way to stop the attacks, but I have learned how to deal with them more:

*Don't push too hard to get things done. Take things slowly.
*If I feel the slightest bit dizzy (which could lead to an attack) I stop what I'm doing and relax/rest until I feel better. Refocusing on something else always seems to help.
*Eat every three to four hours. It feels like low blood sugar, but I don't think it is because I've tested my blood when it's happened and it's normal. But keeping the protein level up does seems to help prevent attacks.
*An ENT thinks Meniere's is causing mine and prescribed a low dosage of valium to control them. It works sometimes.

Still, they're pretty inconvenient (and sometimes even incapacitating) so they prevent having a normal life. I strongly wish I could learn how to stop them from happening.

Michele

Hi Patrick,

I have the profuse day sweating, also; my skin feels cools to the touch. Sometimes I experience a brief chill before returning to a normal body temperature. My doctor tells me that it is not sarc related, after reading your posting and the replies, I think many of the symptoms that I my doctors have told me are not related to the sarc may indeed be. I have been told so many times that my myraid of symptoms and pains are not related to the sarcoidosis; I feel ashamed or embarassed to tell anyone about them.

I have felt all the above symptoms, I think once you have Sarcoidosis ; your temperature mechanism is toast! I also get unexplainable low grade fevers. It is so great to hear you all, as sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy with the unending symptoms.....
God Bless,
Lise

I get most of this "stuff" too. I thought it was only me, and I also am reluctant to tell the doctors, especially the sweating part, because they just seem to shrug it off. Easy for them!

HI Michele5,

I am Pat's older sister Callie. I have been hanging back , but thought I would address part of your reply with Pat's approval. Yesterday, Pat was at my house. He was here maybe a half hour. We were sitting down working on a sample Sarc meal plan, and all the sudden, he broke out in the cold sweats. He hadn't been doing anything that would bring them on. The weather here was quite nice and breezy. I had the air on in my house and it was quite comfortable too. He had a big breakfast not too long before he drove to my house, so blood sugar doesn't appear to be an issue. Later, he had a rash like a sunburn on his arms. Odd....

The thing that comes to mind is that something is causing vascular dialation issues, much like hot flashes or flushes. Some of the other responders have said their doctors have told them it isn't caused by Sarc. The funny thing is, Sarc is uncharted waters. They can't possibly know for sure. Just a year ago, they thought it was brought on by pine tar, or some kind of environmental irritant. Now they have decided against it. As a combined group, I think you all have far more idea what Sarc is, and what it isn't. The doctors just haven't figured it all out yet. Without a worldwide Sarc study group, it will be some time before they figure out what you already know.

I'll be posting in the future.

Callie

I have almost completely eliminated all the wild sweating episodes and a lot of the Sarc symptoms now after taking magnesium proteinate(never oxide).

Excessive sweating causes magnesium deficiency. The autonomic nervous system regulates sweat glands.You are losing magnesium through sweating
so excessive sweating means your losing more magnesium.

One of the really nice coincidences is Magnesium gel is an excellent deodorant.

Here is a brief outline(brackets are my comments only):
Functions of magnesium in the body
http://www.natural-health-information-centre.com/magnesium.html

* Important role in energy production (involved in over 300 enzyme reactions, many related to ATP)
* Involved in the synthesis of nucleic acids and proteins (cell reproduction)
* Opposes calcium to relax muscles(severe cramping is reduced significantly)
* Required for cell sodium/potassium pumps to operate (cell metabolism and nerve function)
* Stops calcium entry into blood vessel and heart cells(CFH and heart cramping is reduced), reducing blood pressure by limiting spasm and constriction(I now have one relative who has significantly improved her pressure by taking magnesium)
* Regulates calcium metabolism by affecting parathyroid hormone and calcitonin(Calcitonin It acts to reduce blood calcium (Ca2+), opposing the effects of parathyroid hormone (PTH) [2], as well as potassium and sodium.)
* Necessary for hormonal activity
* Can help to prevent kidney and gall stones by its effect on calcium levels.
* May help prevent diabetes
(improves sleep dramatically taking at least 100mg before bed(never oxide)

Association with other minerals and vitamins

Magnesium is not only intimately involved in regulating levels of calcium, it is also closely associated with potassium (especially intracellular potassium) and phosphorus (through it's effect on energy production and ATP - Adenosine Tri Phosphate, which is the main cellular energy source in the body).

Given Sarc usually means you have excess of calcemic levels you can see the correlation. The energy level is one my biggest improvements to this point.

Hi Callie,

Thanks for responding. Did Patrick experience dizziness and nausea; or general malaise, too?

Michele

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders