Choking/coughing while eating or drinking

Does anyone experience coughing and choking when taking a drink or a bite of food? I used to have this occasionally and now it is happening much more frequently. I try to eat and drink slowly and be mindful of what I'm doing but it seems no matter what I end up coughing and hacking with every other bite.

BTW, I have my appointment with National Jewish set for October 1st and 2nd. I am so hoping they will have some answers for me.

18 replies. Join the discussion

I do have something similar. There are days when I swallow it seems that the food stays in the top of my throat and won't go down. At first I thought it may be swollen nodes and not my food but now I'm not sure. It stinks, I love to cook and I love to eat!

Oh, I forgot - how about the burping! OMG embarrassing or what?! And I don't know about you but there is no stopping it!!

lol...no, I have not been blessed with that. For me it's just the coughing and sputtering which make people think you need assistance. Makes me just want to fade into the woodwork.

I soo hear you! What you are experiencing is right there with me burping "like a truck driver" - lol. The thing is it is so second nature to me right now that I find myself doing it much to the surprise to family, friends and straners. Oh well, what you see is what you get : ) Have a good night.

Belching is typically caused by swallowing air (aerophagia) when eating or drinking and subsequently expelling it, so in this case the expelled gas is mainly a mixture of nitrogen and oxygen. Burps can also be caused by drinking carbonated drinks. Common diabetes drugs metformin and Byetta can cause belching, especially at higher doses. This often resolves in a few weeks. Belching combined with other symptoms such as dyspepsia, nausea and heartburn may be a sign of an ulcer or hiatal hernia, and should be reviewed by a physician.

Hope this helps :)

Get checked for GERD. I also think that just plain old inflammation caused some restriction in my throat and I definitely have had problems when my nodes were swollen. Good luck.

Melissa_e
do you have an ENT you can see before you go to National Jewish? I have a good one and he always checks and asks me how the "hangups " are going.
He watches closely the throat area and GERD and suggests meds and practical tips to reduce the choking deal. The #1 suggestion was go to a soft food or soft chew diet...I have not eaten really hard foods since and it helped!
Best to you
glowgirl

I do have an ENT and will call him if it gets too bad before I go to NJH. In the mean time I will take your advice about the softer foods. Thanks!
<sigh> goodbye my beloved thin crust pizza...

I recently started to experience coughing and choking while eating. I attributed it to prednisone. I was intially being treated with 60 mg a day, a pretty high dose. It made me ravenous and I thought that maybe I was choking because I was taking bigger bites of food or not propery chewing my food. I'll have to ask my doc.

David

http://15yearsofmysarcoidlife.blogspot.com/

Hey Mc_D,
Do you have the cough when you're not eating or drinking?

I have cranial nerve involvement and have lost my gag reflex and if you look in the back of my throat it hangs down on one side and the otherside is very lazy. I choke all the time. Doctor says to eat slower and do not talk while eating, just consintrate on eating.

I have found that I choke more easily,especialy when I drink. I think I have asperated acouple of times doing this. This diffentily happens more often since Ive had sarcs. I mentioned it to my doc and he said that when I swollow I should bring my chin down to my chest. It really makes a differnce.
I think its just one more thing that we have to put up with having sarcs, whether its the meds or the sarcs, it happens!!

Mary

Thanks for the replies. Mary, I will give that a try.

Hey all! I don't want to sound like a know it all but I am actually a speech pathologist and one of my specialties is swallowing disorders. Swallowing problems can be caused by numerous things, neuro, meds, injury, tumor/swollen nodes,etcc. The best thing you can do is inform your doctor and ask for a modified barium swallow study which can be performed at most hospitals by a speech pathologist. This will give you a definitive answer as to why you are having difficulty swallowing and what you can do to alleviate this. Aspiration (when liquid/solids enter the lungs) can be very dangerous especially in our disease where most of our lungs are already compromised and our immune system is shot. Good luck and let me know how this goes.

That's good advice, Brookie, thanks. I wasn't taking it a step beyond the choking to the aspiration possibility. I'm going to call my PCP tomorrow.

I had a modified barium swallow study in hospital recently but it didn't help to find the problem. Ruled out aspiration, though. I also saw an ENT, who looked right down my throat.... but no joy there either. I have a paralysed right vocal cord from some mysterious nerve occlusion (no joy finding the source of that trouble, either...) and I've been choking, coughing, spluttering, gagging for ages when I eat and drink..... but not EVERY time I eat and drink.

I've found that it helps not to talk or even to think about talking when you are swallowing stuff, because the muscles spasm and cause temporary problems due, presumably, to the inflammatory nature of our sarc. Sometimes I do the cough choke splutter act with the food in my mouth but nowhere near the back of my throat..... hence my theory about muscle spasming.

Take care all.
JLily

Hi, I have problems swallowing liquids, this is due to nerve damage left over from Bells Palsy brought on by neurosarxoidosis. I have to be careful when drinking. jane

Yes, I have this problem, too. It is worse with liquids. I had a barium swallow and it was okay. But I still get strangled on liquids when I am not paying attention to my drinking and swallowing and I aspirate it so easily. It is very scary!! So I have to slow down and be more careful with swallowing, too!! I have noticed it has gotten a lot worse since last 2 years.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders