cauterization of tear ducts

After my 4th visit to Wilmer Eye Clinic at JH, I am scheduled to have my tear ducts cauterized for extrreme dry eye syndrome. The dr gave me options of having it done with anesthesia reg surgery or 30 minute procedure in her office with no pain killer and she said it is painful but that it is only 20 seconds on each eye. Has anyone had this done-if so what do you recommend as to procedure and did the cauterization work for you? Thanks

6 replies. Join the discussion

That sounds AWFUL ! are you kidding? don't mean to be pessimistic, but I'd think again about that....

I had , what I think in retrospect was, needless sinus surgery ( removal)
My eyes tear all the time ..do yours ?

Actually the cauterization is of the Puncta, the drains from the eye not the tear duct. the goal is to allow whatever amount of fluid produced by the eye or the tear duct to remain on the surface of the eye rather than drain off into your sinuses through the Punctum.
I have punctal plugs implanted which acheive the same thing. some people can't have them so they cauterize the puncta. there are both upper and loweer drains for each eye. they usually begin by doing the lower ones first.
the topical eyedrop Restasis is often prescribed to stop the inflammation of the Lacrimal glands from which the fluid is produced to combine with secretion of the meibomian glands to produce the tear film of the eyes. some fluid is also given off from the eyeball which can allow for some surface fluid.
I assume you are using lubricating eyedrops both at bedtime and during the day. I use gel type lubricating eyedrops at night and single use vials of preservative free eyedrops during the day as required to help keep my eyes moist so that inflammation of the cornea and conjunctiva does not occur. one can also develop blepharitis, the crusty eyelid problem and if this occurs Doxycicline is used as both an anti inflammatory and antibiotic to treat it. lid hygiene is critical if this develops and usually one washes the upper eyelid along the lash line with a solution of very warm water and baby shampoo. this helps melt the plugs that develop in the meibomian glands and force them out. it is suggested that one instill a lubricating eyedrop prior to doing this to help get the lubricant from the glands properly mixed with the lubricant eyedrop.

Wish you the very best,
Mike Bartolatz

I am sorry, but I would not have this procedure done. I am a person who trusted doctors in my younger days. My trust ruined my fertility and left me with painful eyes for the rest of my life. Any procedure will be an area which will attract sarcoidosis, because that's what it does. It attacks weakened areas. Do you really want to risk this? Most sarcoidosis sufferers have dry eyes. Use drops that are preservative free, like the rest of us do.

I have a non- Sarc friend who has extremly dry eye syndrome with no underlying cause. She had to have this done some years ago and it did help. She sees her eye Dr. regularly and uses RX drops. I would certainly get a 2nd opinion as to the overall situation but would proceed with the procedure if it was recommended .

If plugs are possible I am comforted by the idea of a potentially reversible procedure.

I agree with all of the hesitant sarcies above. Cautery should be the very last option - please get another oppinion apart from that clinic before you procede with this irreversable procedure.

Regards,
I.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders