Cant Stop Itching

I have been itching for a couple months now. It started out on my upper back, now its all over. I have a little bumps under my skin and a few little sores. I even thought we had bed bugs, but we dont. I have tryed everything. Alveno baths, different lotions, changed laundy det, fabric softner. I have 2 Appoint. at the Cleveland Clinic on the 31 of this month. I quess I should try to get in with a Derm also. Any advise? Thanks Colleen

21 replies. Join the discussion

Have them check your liver enzymes, when bile backs up it causes itching and a rash. I try to itch may hands and feet off all day long so i feel your pain

Okay thank you!

Colleen,
lots of previous posts, use the search box and type in itch or rash ... here are a couple I posted ... same symtoms, I also agree it is from inside us, one of our organs acting up related to sarc. A dermotologyst will be useless unless you get one who is willing to consider internal organs causing itch rash, I've seen a bunch, they are all worthless.

http://www.inspire.com/groups/stop-sarcoidosis/discussion/itch-and-rash-hel p/ ... this should help you a bunch.

http://www.inspire.com/groups/stop-sarcoidosis/discussion/elevated-ige-numb ers-sarc-rashes-allergies/

god bless
hamles2

I really think its my Liver. I have Sarcoid in my liver and Spleen. I really can't take this itching anymore. Thanks for the Info!

I HAD THE SAME THING CONSTANT ITCHING MY LIVER ENZYMES WERE VERY HIGH ,EPSOM BATHS HELPED A LITTLE ,I WENT ON PREDNISONE AND FELT BETTER IN ABOUT 2 WEEKS

Take benadryl. I have to take 2 every evening or I can not sleep. Just another one of the sarcoid blessings. Good luck.

Yep, I've had horrible itching for a couple of years. Liver enzymes check out fine. My PCP sent me to a dermatologist but he was useless as Harmles2 predicted. Told me to use Dove lotion because his wife likes it. His wife does not have sarc. and I don't think he has ever heard of it. When I said I was sure it was due to sarcoidosis his face went blank. Colleen, if you get any information from Cleveland Clinic, please share. Hope your visit there will be worthwhile.

Thanks for all the advice! I started Benadryl this eve. I hate taking predinsone...am down to 5mg a day. Makes me mean and hungry. Will Defintely share all the information from the docs at the Cleveland Clinic. Praying that trip will be worth it!

colleen,
A few months back I tried the benadyl each evening (because it does make you sleepy too, which is great for the extra sleep) but found after about 7-10 days of taking it everyday, it made me feel weird. I stoped and things went back to normal. Pred also brings out anger in me, so frequent use of benadryl may make you feel weird as well. If it does, try what I recommended in the discusion link above, it works!

harmles2

Colleen,

Good Luck with your trip to the Cleveland Clinic, have read a lot of good things about it.
And pls let us have your news on your return.

Via Con Dios

Chiru

I have issues with extreme itching related to my diet - specifically too much phosphorous and potassium - that could be the same problem with you. Depending on which one is overkill the itching can range from extremely itchy scratching scratching to feeling like my skin is on fire from rolling in fiberglass. Benadryl or Zyrtec both do the trick. They are just antihistamines so they make the itching stop. You also, however, may want to reconsider your diet. Are you eating lots of dairy products or lots of citrus or even lots of potatoes? Any of these things can cause the problem. I generally have to take the antihistamine only one night because I make doubly sure I don't do what I did to create the problem again. Unfortunately, sometimes I get careless and eat cheese or cheese snacks and sure enough the problem arises so again a Benadryl or Zyrtec. You only need one and as someone mentioned, you get the extra benefit of sleeping for a good 9 or 10 hours. You may also want to check to see if you have kidney disease - that is why my body cannot handle potassium and phosphorous - my kidneys do not work.

I use to have sarcoidosis in the skin for about seven years. tried everything, finaly my doctor gave me hydroxiclorquin, it is used my lopus patients and sarcoidosis in the skin. I no longer have the itching, however, I still take the hydroxiclorquin. If I donot take it the itching starts back.
brenda devane
from raleigh north carolina

hope this helps you

Please have your doctor check your reflexes because neuropathy can cause severe itching .
Pay attention to numbness and tingling or feeling of extreme heat or cold in your feet. I was misdiagnosed with chronic hives but finally ended up with a neurologist who tapped on my knees (then confirmed with EMG) and feet and found the neuropathy which is very common in lots of autoimmune diseases so please listen to me! Allergists, dermatologists, and many others missed this because no one thinks about itching coming from your nerve endings but it does!!!! I suffered with this horrible itching for a year and had exactly what you are describing, little bumps that become sores.

Swelling, itching are signs of small fiber neuropathy and while lotions and baths may bring some relief neuropathy is dangerous and needs to be treated.

Please email me if you have more questions. I wish someone would have told me sooner.

I had terrible issues with itching. The dermatologist put me on Plaquenil and Docepin - neither helped, as a matter of fact, I think I am allergic to the Plaquenil. She finally switched me to Hydroxyzine and thank goodness that did the trick. A few tips she gave me - do not use any soao when you bathe, use Aveeno or something hypoallergic for washing "the privates" and that is it. She also gave me an rx for triamcinolone acetonide, an ointment that I used as needed (which was all the time. I also found that the Gold Bond lotion for sensitive skin helped me. Tried many others before that. I do not think I could have taken that constant itching much longer, it was driving me crazy and I was embarrassed to go out in public. Hope these tips help you out.

I itch when my liver enzymes go up. In fact, when I first went to an allergist for chronic hives, before my sarc dx, that's who found my liver enzymes elevated--the allergist. after ruling out all forms of hepatitis, he put me on monthly rounds of prednisone (like i said, pre-sarc diagnosis) and the hives and itching stopped. in a great wonder of auto-immune blessings, i'm also a dermogrpah. so when i get itchy, you can literally take your fingernail and write messages on my skin--within moments they show up as hives. my kidlet thinks this is great fun.

i've been itching a LOT lately. I'm trying to get in to see Dr. Parambil on April 1st as I have some neuro testing scheduled for that day in Cleveland. When we spoke on the phone last week, he mentioned possibly trying to get my insurance to approve IVIG on top of my mtx so I can come off pred completely. Let us know what they say about your itching! i'll be checking back so I can use what you find out to base my own questions with them from.

hope you get some relief. benedryl makes me MEAN (worse than pred, even!) and doesn't stop the itching past the 6 hour mark when i'm in the hive-y flare up. i've had that happen twice in my life now. both times lasted about 2 years then suddenly stopped. this last time, in 2009, the only way we got it to stop was with allegra, vistaril and prednisone in combination. that's a horrible cocktail if you have to be awake at any point. and i was so sensitive to a lot fo drugs that even tho my scrip was for 2 vistaril a night, if i took a full 1 pill i slept for 24 hours non-stop. nothing woke me up! it was like being in a coma. i've never taken 2 at a time, so i can't imagine what that would do to me.

areyou on any painkillers, i have the same problem from vicodin, try benadrly it works really good≥

I have been taking hydroxyzine since 1978 (was diagnosed in the early 70s) and I have no problems anymore. There were times when I scratched until l bled and had huge whelps (sp) all over. Miserable was not the word! I take 10mg every night - and if I skip more than three days it all comes back again. Ask your dr. for a trial prescription to see if it works for you. I hope so.

Don't forget to try the castor oli compresses - it definitely gives relief.

I had the same problem on my upper arms and started using a topical corticosteroid cream once a day and it fixed it, ask your doctor. Best wishes.

I wish we could send pictures in here because I have a horrible rash all over my body and yes it is itchy. I went to the dermatologist she did a biopsy on me. It came back connective tissue disorder, so she sent me for blood work and the blood work showed that it was Sjogren's syndrome as well as cutaneous lupus.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders