Can you lose weight while on Prednisone???

Hey my boyfriend is tapering off the prednisone now (coming from 60mg down to 6mg) and gained a significant (55) amount of weight. So we have joined the gym and I have gone to battle with his diet. So I just need to know my changes to his diet and his working out is not in vein. Prednisone is powerful..hope he never has to take this stuff ever again!!!!!

23 replies. Join the discussion

This is the question I want answered to. I am sticking to a 1400 calorie a day diet and am walking as much as I can, but my weight is staying the same. Can anyone tell me if my weight will ever start to come down or will I have to be off steroids before it does?

I never lost weight on pred. , but watching what you eat and working out will pay off in the end. When I went off I lost like 50lbs in couple months.

My husband is the sarkie in our family. He has diabetes from the pred he's on (60 mg/daily). So far he has lost about 10 lbs. - of course, this is without trying. So I guess not everybody gains weight on pred. He's been on it since Jan. 09 & in the beginning I limited his food intake (he would have eaten everything in site, otherwise). I'm not sure that his weight loss is a good thing. He's on Remicade, had his 2nd dose 1 wk ago & now his blood count is down & he's taking B vitamins & iron pills.

I'm sure losing weight on Pred. is different for everyone. I've been on 20 mg of Prednisone for two years and gained a lot of weight. I started Weight Watchers 5 mo. ago and have lost 35 pounds following the program. The key for me seems to be drinking lots of water and limiting my salt intake. I hope your boyfriend's efforts pay off for him too!

It's definitely possible to lose weight while on the prednisone. I lost 25 pounds over the last four months, but I have never had to work out so hard in my life. I have been slowly tapering my pred dosage over the last six months from 40 mg./day. I took my last dose two weeks ago and I hope I never have to take the nasty stuff again! I also followed Weight Watchers and felt like I was starving especially in the beginning. Now that I'm completely off the pred., the weight is coming off easier probably because I don't feel as hungry. Good luck to you and your boyfriend. Weight gain is just one more lovely side effect to this wonderful illness.

What I would like to know is how do ya'll have the energy to work out? I can barely walk from one room to the other.

Yes, it is possible to lose weight on Prednisone. It is an extremely hard battle to fight. The problem is exacerbated if you are too unwell to add activity to your life. Keeping down to under 1500 calories a day while taking prednisone is difficult because of the uncontrollable hunger that pred encourages. As well as this it is a catabolic steroid, which makes retaining muscle mass (lean body mass) more difficult. Muscle mass helps to keep you lean as the more muscle mass you have, the better your metabolism works. Another way of decreasing muscle mass and therefore making the fat fight more difficult is if you don't eat enough calories and don't work out. When you start to eat the calories again, because you have lost muscle mass you actually get fatter.
The other unfortunate effect of pred is that it redistributes your body fat. You tend to carry more around your middle, which is more unhealthy. If you have been unfortunate enough to succumb to Diabetes 2 while on pred, this will make the fat fight even harder. If those insulin gates are shut because of diabetes, this means that the energy retained from the food you eat is not metabolised correctly and more likely to be stored as body fat. Be kind to yourselves; avoid unhealthy fats; practice portion control; avoid sugar and try to add activity. Avoiding unhealthy fats and sugar actually helps lower your inflammation, so that is a bonus as far as fighting the symptoms of sarcoidosis.

Oh balls. Now this is where everyone decides they hate me... I have never had to watch my weight, never learned about calories or health and wellness at all. Was never above 130 lbs (usually 125) on a normal day with the exception of my pregnancy. All of a sudden now that I have this sark s&%# and have been taking prednisone I have gained a ton of weight. Now I have to stop eating the things I have always loved and never had a problem with? Balls.

ImaHouseEpisode, Love your name! HaHa! Even if those naughty foods you love don't put on weight, they may still play havoc with your sarc symptoms. Since I've been walking the 'straight & narrow' and being careful about processed foods, too much sugar, too much bad fat, flavor enhancers, concentrates, etc, my symptoms are not nearly as bad. I don't find it difficult at all, because I now look at those foods and equate them to pain. It can be difficult socially, but I manage.

Ok Guys Second Flare up (and the WORST this time) of Neurosarcoidosis. The first time was on Prednisone for 2 1/2 months went from 210 to 260. The sarcoid seemed to have gone in remission so I we stoped the Prednisone and all meds. In another month and ahalf I lost all the weight I gained on Prednisone plus some more weight. I went from 260+ to 198. But workout was extreme and good. I wou;d bike 15 miles to work and work a 12+ hour day in the shop then Bike home 15 miles. I treated it as a race evry time I went to work or home. I had really bad flare up in Aug of 2008. Was back on Prednisone over 100Mg in the hospital and 20 mg since then. MY weight increased to almost 280. I became per Diabetic.
Controling My Diabetes by diet and aerobic exercise. The side effect of that and has been slow is that I have lost weight from 280 down to 258 now. SO yes you can lose weight on Prednisone. It is a slow but healthy process and will take some timew to see results but it is possible. Just remember to discuss your exercise plane with your docs. My Docs helped me taliored my exercise plan. Heck just the past month That I have been able to stay on the Lifecycle for over 30 minutes without falling off. Now working out on the lifecycle and stairstepper and treadmill. Also doing low weight and high reps (12-15) on the wieght machine exercises. My Diabetes is now under control without meds and I am slowly starting to trim some of this Prednisone weight off. I hope I have helped you. Please just remember to take it slow and not push yourself to hard too fast.

Yes - it is possible - I also joined Weight Watchers because I was tired of feeling sorry for myself and how big I was getting! I was on Mega doses of pred last year - getting IV's of 250 mg for 4 days in a row - after a couple bouts of pneumonia - so I blew up like the Good Year Blimp - gained about 40 lbs in a very short period - now tapered down to just 5 mg of pred per day - but I have lost 20 lbs - but had to be happy with a weight loss of 1/2 lb per week - I agree with Krissy - the better you eat the better you will feel - I avoid things with sugar because I know that I will feel terrible after I eat them -

Weight gain on pred is nasty and sometimes just unavoidable. But, a good diet helps. While on high dose pred, I gained 12 lbs, which I felt wasn't horrible for how much pred I was on. But, I am tiny so 12 lbs was alo on me. As the pred has lowered, I lost 3.

This is the diet change I made before going on pred:
I eat lean protein, veg and fruit with the least being high complex carbs. I do not use salt. I steer from sugar. I write down what I eat and try to stay around 1200 calories. I eat small frequent meals rather than 3 large meals. I keep fresh fruit and veg and also baked skinless chicken breast in the fridge at all times.
The key to loosing weight is to consume less calories than you burn. But, many of us can't exercise and would feel starving if we limited calories too much. That's why it is important to have the fresh veg and watery fruits available to fill you up. Protein metabolizes in a manner that stays off hunger. The biggest help for me is keeping a huge icy glass of water at all times. If I'm wanting to munch, I drink first. It's amazing because sometimes we mistake hunger for thirst.
Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your tips and support. I am eating a very health diet and sticking to 1400 cals a day and very low fat. I love eating healthy but do miss some foods i know I should not have. However, saying that I do plan to fit in a few treats by putting the calories down first thing and then add to it everything else I eat and when I get to my target cals I know I can't have anything else but have still got my treat to look forward to.

Hi Ellij, not heard from you for a while, I hope you are well and upbeat. I have finished my chemotherapy and am back on azothiaprine. Only mild side effects so I am much happier. Have managed to do some walking but it takes alot out of me. Take care. Jane

Hi, drink lots of water, eat plenty of fruit and fibre, cut back on carbs, do lots of cardio at the gym, if lifting weights, do plenty of high reps, when reducing the pred, you will lose some weight, but the secret is to keep training at the gym, you will notice a difference if you stay focused and walk instead of driving the car!
take it easy
Dave

Yes, you can lose wt, but prednisone makes you cushionoid (moon-faced!) and that you can not control;
it's one of the things that sarcoid does. It is not just a possible side effect. It is what it does! High doses and long term use will subject you to all of them.

I agree with those who use it in small (5mg) doses for no more than a week for things like pneumonia. One of the plussesof steroids is that they boost your white blood cell count which boosts you immunuity. Review your options. I just recently heard a doc say to another doc, "Sarcoid? You just give them steroids.
What else is there?" Keep up to date . Check with those of us who live with the disease, ask your doctor if he/she treats other sarc patients and what is his treatment philosophy! And as a patient, you ALWAYS
have a right to see and get copies of your records and x-rays! ALWAYS!

God bless you!
Mary

It's very very hard to do, especially when you don't feel well in the first place. When I was on pred, I gained no matter what I did, and I didn't lose it until I was completely off it for about month. It sounds like some people have been able to do it though. Maybe it depends on our individual bodies ability to process the medication. Good luck!

I too can barely walk due to pain shortness of breath and extreme fatigue.

It is good to hear that it is my right to obtain my records and x-rays because at this point i am about ready to go to the mayo clinic or to another state all together and i am having a problem getting all my records do you know how i can prove to them them that i have that right. Because i have found no one in oklahoma who knows anything about how to treat sarcoidosis properly.

Research hospitals / teaching hospitals are always a good place to start. They are the most up to date.
I'm lucky to have found good, up to date, personable, smypathetic docs from the get go! How far are you from OU? Call the hospitals and ask if they have a sarc support group. The group will point you in the right direction! Hang in there!

God bless!
Mary

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders