bubbling/fluttering feeling in leg

so recently i have been having a bubbling/fluttering feeling in my left calf & sometimes in my left thigh. its not painful but its annoying & a little concerning. so for all you medical people out there, i have no redness, sswelling or pain just that feeling. so anyone thinking DVT its already crossed my mind & i dont think it could be but who knows!
was just wondering if anyone else has had this feeling? hope everyone has a blessed day! ~christy~

33 replies. Join the discussion

cls710,

Hi, I don't have any answers to your question, just wanted to say that I have been having the same thing (in my right thigh) for the last month. It's like you described it... not painful but annoying and concerning. So far it's always in the same place.

I think I saw something posted about this a few months ago, but I don't remember what it was posted under. I'll do some searching.

karen

For a few years now I get recurrent feelings of bugs crawling on my legs. Sometimes, like it's just under the skin. A real tickly buglike creeping feeling around the shins. In the summer I swatting things that weren't there! Very weird :O

I always get this sensation in my left thigh that feels like my cell phone is vibrating. No pain just real strange. I've always attributed it to my bad back, but who knows?
Jay

Jpalmer1631

Great description! Yes, it's exactly like a cell phone vibrating.

I also have been trying to figure out if it is a result of a bad back (scoliosis in my case). or if it is something like neuro sarc.

Do you find it goes away if you change the position of your leg? If I sit is a yoga like position it goes away, but comes right back after I change positions.
(I'm not sure what that indicates)

I've always loved the challenge of a good mystery but this "medical detective" stuff is getting kinda annoying.

karen

Holy crap! That is EXACTLY how I describe it!!!! It's in my right upper thigh. I keep thinking my cell is on vibrate and in my pocket but it's not at all!

What a freaky feeling!! WHAT is this????????

Loran : )

My left thigh has had a numb spot for a couple of years. Lately it has been doing the crawling bug, vibrating thing and recently burning at night. I now have lympyhadenopathy in that lower leg. I'm being sent to a vascular doc after the holidays. If they impart any wisdom, I'll post it. So far, my other docs don't seem to think it is anything to worry about-but it is very annoying.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas, Hanakka, Kwanza and any group I may have left out. You are all my family and I am so happy to know all of you.

Virgnia

I just started with the cell phone vibe thing about a month ago. Thought I was going nutz.

Humor

Anyonne ever read that book 'Left Behind'? Maybe that cell phone thing IS a call - --- from a higher Power(:$). !!!

well if nothing at least once again i know i am not alone in this "odd" feeling! thanks guys!

CLS,
A friend of mine gets the phony cell phone thing going on too! He has a herniated L4, as do I. I can't turn it on or off by how I sit. I just reach in my pocket and go crap, it's that phantom phone ringing again!
Jay

Hi,
While I don't have sarc, I do have a number of herniated discs. I get what I call 'zingers' in my leg. My neuro doc says that's due to my nerves being irritated.
Just wanted to share this -
Rhinoldy

IreneMarie,
you mention the crawling bug like symptom. could this be restless leg syndrome? I have RLS. has a sleep study been done to see if this is the cause?
I have periodic limb movement disorder too.

Wish you the very best,
Mike

I also have the cell phone sensation and mentioned it to a new neurologist today. He could offer no explanation to me but said that he also experiences it, and he does not have sarc. I wasn't sure how to answer when he asked if I notice this particular sensation only when I'm seated - I've never paid attention. So do any of you know for certain when you experience the bubbling/pulsing/vibrating stuff? Are you sitting or otherwise inactive at the time? I'd like to gather some more info prior to another visit.

I had the same thing my first bought with sarcoid. The feeling was so annoying and keeping me up at night. That is when I went back to the dr, and she diagnosed me with prednisone caused diabetes. I am currently going through bought #2 and just started the devil pills today. Good luck to both of us!

I have the buzzing both sitting or standing. I also have herniated L4/L5 disc. I thought this was the cause, along with the other pain that comes from it.

I get the cell phone vibration too and it is in my left thigh.... wierd :-)

I also have this same weird symptom - I have been taking potassium and magnesium tablets before I go to bed and they seem to help. They don't make it go away altogether but at least makes it more tolerable. I only have it at night time. I also have that big massager from Brookstone called "thumper" that I use on my thighs and that seems to help too!

Hi Mike,

No jumpy or twitchy muscles here just a sensation in the skin. I keep fretting spiders are crawling across my leg. >:0

the periodic limb movement can be very embarassing from time to time as I never know when it will happen. I can be reaching for a glass of water at dinner and it will occur causing me to knock over the glass spilling it everywhere. this has happened at formal dinners and I have wanted to just crawl under the table from embarassment.
meds are available to help with the RLS stuff if it gets to the point that it interferes with sleep. I took some cardidopa levidopa combination for several years until it quit working for me. The gabapentin that I take for neuropathy seems to help keep it under control but it doesn't do anything for the periodic limb movement stuff. actually it is more than just arms and legs moving as my entire torso will move on occasion, twisting my body.

strange stuff actually,
Mike

Wow! Perfect timing - I was experiencing this about 2 days ago. Just the bubbly feeling, no burning, no redness, swelling or tenderness. I'm a retired nurse, but worked L&D and then a large county wide pre-school program and was responsible for children and adults. I noticed it along the lower edge of my left foot - it went from heel to toe. When I lifted it off the floor it stopped. When I put it down again it started. I also have felt it on the anterior of my thigh and posterior of my calf - all on the left side. I have herniated discs at the L5 and S1. Sounds like a question I will have for the doctor when I see her on Tuesday. Detectives we are, and its good we can help each other. Blessings and hugs - Great-gram

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders