Bruises

I seem to be getting bruises on my legs that just do not go away. They'll fad a little, but never fully go away. Anyone else have this?

Thanks,
Chrys

22 replies. Join the discussion

I've been watching a bruise on my knee that's been there for about 2.5 weeks now... I suppose its normal for them to hang around for 2-3 weeks but any longer and it should be mentioned to a doc. I seem to notice bruises on my legs that I don't remember getting, nor can I think of any way I could have gotten them! It's a little strange.

If you are on steroids, this is normal.

I'm not on steroids....and these bruises have been there for at least six months or longer. i guess I'll mention it to my doc the next time I see him.

Thank You.
Chrys

Have you tried ice? I always bruised easily before being on prednisone; now it's a little more common. If you bump into something, I bruise. The cat jumps up on me and does the paw thing I have little prints. It looks like I'm abused. But they don't hurt. I had a nasty one from tae kwon do and asked my dr once she told me not to worry about it. Hope this helps ease your mind some. You may want to ask your dr at your next appt.

I bruise very easily and very badly. They have checked frequently for clotting disorders and other blood issues but have found nothing. At times it looks like someone beats me. If my boys or my husband grab my arm while we are playing around we can nearly see their fingerprints. Ice does help if you notice them early on and mine last a long time as well. Good luck and definitely show them to your doctor, they need to know every little ache, pain, mark and lump you find. That is the only way they can help us with more of our symptoms.

Oh my gosh, I've been waiting for a post about this. I've had small bruises on the upper part of my legs for months now. Like Chrys, they fade a bit at times but never go completely away. I'm not on prednisone or any other meds that might cause this.

I think the bruising was my very first symptom before any kind of diagnosis. I'd wake up and there would be bruising on the inside of my leg or arm that would like like fingertips made them. The only problem is there would be six of them, or four of them...you understand what I mean...anyway, I still get regular bruising and right now I have the largest one I've ever had on my inside shin. It's probably about the size of a very large golf ball and it was very dark red when I woke up with it and now three weeks later it is finally a green/yellow color, so it's getting better. I don't know if I'm right or not, but I sometimes think that maybe because we have issues with white and red blood cells while fighting our autoimmune diseases, perhaps this is the reason for the frequent and easy bruising...like I said, I don't really know if that is true, it's just a guess.

Are they bruises or could they be sarc lesions? I have sarc lesions that are deep purple and could be mistaken for a bruise. Good Luck.

Do sarc lesions fade?

I have had sarc lesions come and go, I have had them fade especially in response to certain drugs. I have one my leg from when I was first diagnosed that gets larger and then smaller, it gets darker and lighter. Seems like it is almost going away and then comes back, it looks just like a bruise.

Mine certainly look and feel like bruises rather than sarc lesions. Just can't figure out why I have them.

I too find bruises and can not figure how or what have caused them I do notice if someone grabs me or pinches me I seem to bruise easily

The following is link with some good pictures. Look at figure 7. The following is the caption from figure 7

Figure 7
Fig. 7.- Late stage lesion of erythema nodosum shows the appearance of a deep bruise ("erythema contusiformis"). This patient had also lung sarcoidosis

That is just one picture I found today, I have seen others that looked even more like a bruise.

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol8num1/reviews/enodosum/requena.html

@ ChrysN, Have you ever tried arnica? It can be applied topically or taken orally, and helps bruises heal. Still, I would talk with your doctor about this concern.

Hi ChrysN,

I have the same on my legs too. They have been there for many months. You're not on Methotrexate by any chance. I had dreadful bruising with that, I didn't even have to bump myself.

Pris

The bruises were signs of something was wrong...that is when I was diagnosed with the Sarcoid. At first it look like lesions and suspected something like AIDS and went on a hunt. But thankfully saw a doctor immediately who diagnosed me with Sarcs. However, being on steriods can cause the smallest hit to a brutal mark.

I have what look like bruises, but doesn't hurt and doesn't go away. Does yours hurt?
Keep us posted.

Love,Markell

Robert -Thank you for this link picture 7 especially.

Jean

I have always bruised very easily - not related to the sarcoidosis. When I first noticed it was after my first attempt to work out with weights at the gym. I was so beat up in places I had no idea I had even been touched so I went to the doctor. It turns out I have a vitamin B deficiency so I bruise extremely easily even just a good to see you tap or good hug causes bruising. When I was on prednisone it was at least 10 times worse. Of course, the most annoying thing about this to me is that I have absolutely no idea where the bruises come from. I won't remember bumping against anything or scratching or being hit or touched at all but everyday there will be bruises. They don't really hurt - some of them do but I think those are from actually bumping into something unawares - so I don't really worry about it too much. I have been off prednisone for about a year so I don't get those kind anymore - just the "normal" ones now.

My girlfriends legs and back are covered in the sarc lesions. When i first met her I thought her ex girlfriend was beating her because the bruises were so bad. It starts out as very vivid veins that start to bruise or look like bruises. The ones on her legs dont seem to go away. I have to keep an eye on the veins on her back to make sure it doesnt get worse but she says it feels like someone beat her with a baseball bat its that sensitive. She also gets the veins on her ear and face. Not noticeable unless you know what you looking for. Since she told me she had Sarc i have been researching like crazy and the sarc lesions/bruises seem normal.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders