anemia from Sarcoidosis??

I had mentioned this under dental and will ask again under anemia....does anyone have any info on Sarcoid causing anemia and even blood transfusions required? I have had 4 transfusions in the last three yrs, the most recent in May. There was no reason found to cause this problem.

14 replies. Join the discussion

Yes, I have sarcoid in my lungs and spleen and have had problems with my white and red blood cells.

Thanks for t he message, sorry to hear of your symptoms. It seems every little thing that goes wrong its Sarcoid.
I have white white hair for many years, suddenly it is turning an ugly yellow, will not ta ke color and any curl only last hours. It is ugly. What next huh?

This is from 1988 but may be worth asking your doctor about.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3381019

Also this is known to occur in sarcoidosis:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000565.htm

I was terribly anemic beyond words and had to have my spleen out to get rid of the anemia... it was so harsh... also, I'm a hairdresser so use shampoo with a violet or blue tint to it and it will counter act the yellow... of course keep an eye on it so it doesn't 'stain' your hair purple.Over a period of time that can happen.... but just use it awhile then take a break... then repeat... Lather , rinse, repeat! LOL

i WILL TAKE YOUR INFO AND THAT FROM THE LINK AND DISCUSS WITH MY DOCTOR. THANKS. HUDIA

yeah, but how much fun would purple hair be? =)

Purple hair would rock! haha

Hi Hudia,
I had a flare of my sarcoid in Dec. 2011 which effected my kidneys and I was found to be anemic during that time. I am still taking Flogard to get my Hbg back up. I was told that the sarcoid caused the anemia. No blood transfusion. I'm hoping at my next doctor's appointment that I can stop the Flogard.

Prednisone has changed my hair. It use to be limp and straught but now it has curl and body. Go figure.

Good Luck,
Sassy

May be im just turning into a blonde again, with my yellowing hair...Im suppose to be having more fun as a blonde.
Hasnt worked yet. Thanks for your humor, the color of my hair is the least of our concerns with Sarc but its an aggrevation along with everything else.

I know its the least of your concern and Im just trying to make you laugh! :) My hair has gotten so hideously thin since I've had sarcoid and also breaks off in places... It sucks to have all the things that go with sarcoid, to then have our looks diminish as well... I know its just a vanity thing but we are women afterall
I hope you feel better! God Bless you... Deb

The first time I saw your picture, I noticed your beautiful hair color. If you have a Sally's beauty supply where you live there is a product called shimmer lights. It might be worth a try.

My hair too is getting so thin. I cut it really short and it just doesn't seem to grow at all. And my hair has gotten much lighter in color looks blond until I get in the sun, then you can see its turning silver. LOL My Dad had the prettiest silver hair. Then it turned white.

I had severe anemia in January of 2011 that required a transfusion. It cleared up after that and I havent had a problem since. That is what started the whole search for what was wrong with me. Turned out I have Sarcoidosis. Have your doctors suggested a bone marrow issue?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders