ACE Test Results

I have just received the results of my ACE test. My ACE level is 83. I am having a hard time finding out just what this number means. The hospital that I went to provides test results via online so I have received them before speaking to my doctor. Per the lab results it says that "normal" ACE range is 8-53. Apparently, the level is elevated, but until I speak to my doctor, I don't know what to make of it. Does anyone have any feedback?

Edited January 1, 2010 at 1:02 pm

18 replies. Join the discussion

I think this tells if you have inflammation in your body. This might mean that your sarc is active, which I believe means that it is spreading.

This is how may doctor can tell if my sarcoid is active or not. He did say it doesn't always have to be high for sarcoid not to be active.

For me the ACE has never been an acccurate indicator of active Sarc. At my worst it was not impressively elevated. Instead BUN, Creatinine, CRP, CPK, etc. painted a more complete picture of an inflammatory process going on. It could have been any inflamatory disease, but the chronic uveitis, Heerfordt's and enlarged med. lymph nodes eventually resulted in the differential diagnosis of Sarc. So the doc needs to look at the whole picture (not just one inflammation marker) and do a process of elimination to come up with a diagnosis without doing a biopsy.
Hope this helps.

Happy New Year!

Hi, Margie
It is correct that ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) is often, but not always, elevated in the presence of inflammation. Unfortunately, there is no specific blood test that can be done to diagnose sarcoidosis. But, as IreneMarie has said, it is just one piece of the puzzle.

Has your doctor mentioned a CAT scan or radiograph of your chest to see if you have any enlarged lymph nodes? Again that won't give a diagnosis but the results can be a huge piece of the puzzle. If lymph nodes are present, the only way to absolutely identify sarc is with a biopsy of at least one of them. Sounds daunting but it's really no big deal.

This site is a tremendous place of compassionate & knowledgeable people. I'm glad you found us but I'm sorry you had to. Let us know how things go.

ACE measure inflammatory markers in the body. It does not diagnose sarc. So, having your elevated ACE level means you have inflammation in your body. Elevated ACE can have many causes, is often seen elevated in active untreated sarc but is also a marker for many other conditions.
Many tests can be explained from a website:
www.labtestsonline.org
This is a great site resource for looking up all the bloodwork tests you receive and interpreting the reason and meaning for the test.

My ace levels have reached 130...presently it was 100...mine gets checked every 3 months when I go to the doctor...

I have had a chest x-ray as well as a chest ct. I was able to see the granulomas in my lungs, most are very small at this point. There are slightly larger ones in my left lung. My lymph nodes are swollen in my neck and armpit areas. I have not had any biopsies yet but my pulmonoligist feels this is definitely sarcoidosis. He had me do the ACE test to start tracking my levels. My follow-up appointment is in 6 weeks, my ACE will be tested again at that point. I have taken the lung function tests and there is a decreased lung capacity although not severe. Unfortunately, I can't shake the wheeze that I now have and feel that it may be permanent, I'm not sure what to expect at this point! I hate the thought of being on Prednisone for an extended amount of time but it has helped me tremendously. I finally have my energy back and my coughing is down to a minimum. When your sarc is active, how long does the active period last?

wow my pulmo tells me anything under the ACE level 89 is normal, I wonder why this is?

Hi Margie
If I was you I would have a biopsy done because that is the only way they can truly tell if this is sarcoidosis. You want to know for sure.

Margie,
We all agree taking pred sucks -- but I know it literally saved my life, follow your doc's instructions, you will improve. Take extra care of yourself, you have more energy but you still need to rest, eat right, remission is possible, you can have your old life back. If you are like me you will never take your good health for granted again.
good thoughts,
Jean

the normal ace level is 0-68. Anything above that means that you have elevated levels. Mine was recently 76. Which means that I will be experiencing an episode of a flare-up. But I already knew that.

I just find out that my ACE test is elevated 71 the lab where they did the test their range is 15-60. I should go to the doctor and check.

There are many other inflammation markers in the blood to put the ACE in perspective - a rheumie would do all these and treat accordingly. Sometimes a high dose (pulse) of Pred with a quick taper back to your maintanance level will trigger a remission. Sometimes you need a cocktail of two or more drugs to get the Sarc to go inactive. All checked every 6-8 wks monitoring multiple inflam. markers and checking for anemia, liver and kidney stability as well.
This should be a standard of care for Sarkies.

Good luck folks,
I.

My rhumatologist has never checked my ACE he says he doesn't feel its necessary. But I often wonder because so many of you that have Sarc mention it so much. I believe paradox even commented on my question about ACE.

Corretion

I didn't mean the treament should be a standard of care, but the frequent regular blood work monitoring should be, while being treated.

Hi Margie. I have had sarcoid for over 11 years. As others have said, sometimes your ACE level maybe high or it may not be. I have experienced both at one point or another. And usually can judge by how my body feels, joint pain, wheezing, coughing more, and fatigued beyond belief, whether or not my sarcoid is active. I would wait til you speak with your doctor and see what they have to say. If when you talk to your doctor, you don't feel like you are getting answers or the help you need and deserve, go with your instincts and find another doctor. I had to do that when first diagnosed and have found one of the best doctors in my area. Also, while taking prednisone, ask your doctor about taking calcium supplements to help keep your bones strong. I have bone sarcoid, as well as lung, eyes, lymph nodes, gi tract involvement, skin and liver involvement. Pretty sure it will keep progressing til all systems involved doc says. I just keep plugging along and do what I can. Lots of supportive people on here to help with whatever questions you might have. Prednisone is what I call the wonder drug, it works wonders, but with some of the side effects, you wonder why you have to take it. Hope you get some answers soon and I would talk to the doctors about doing a biopsy. It is the only sure way to confirm the diagnosis. Have a blessed day and stay strong......

Hey My ace is at 83 also. I have been put on a 12 day burst of prednisone, until I see the doctor. I have read that normal ace was up to 40. I can notice when my ACE is up because I fell horrible.

I had a 90 on the ACE test. The scale showed that I was a very high normal. I think the scale went to 95 for normal. He was getting ready to discuss that but I asked about the stuff on my back that has been itching like crazy and he put me on 10 days Predisone. He said that it looked like Sarcoid on my back, previously my lymph node biopsy showed Sarcoid.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders