Low grade pelvic spindle cell tumor

I went into the ER in May 13 to verify a diagnosis of diverticulitis. After the CT scan, the ER doc said that there was a "softball" sized mass on the other side of my abdomen. That was a surprise because I never felt anything...no pain, mass, lump etc. My family physician scheduled me for a core biopsy. The results of the biopsy floored me. Low grade spindle cell sarcoma. What the heck is that? I looked it up and found that it was supposed to be rare. As I look online, I find many folks that have this sarcoma and it may be located all over the body.
The oncologist stated that “low grade” means slow growing. He also stated a few more things. The PET scan is not going to yield anything that we don’t know already. Why? The low grade tumor doesn’t show up well on the PET scan, the PET scan easily may miss any tumor that may have spread. He also stated that chemo and radiation treatments are geared to stop fast growing, aggressive tumors. Chemo and radiation therapy doesn’t work well on this type of tumor.
Surgery is the only option at the moment. This tumor is attached to the abdominal wall and touches my right hip. The surgeon says that he will have to remove a significant amount of abdominal muscle and scrape the bone if connected.
Bone scan and chest CT are scheduled for this coming Monday. If they do not find that the tumor has spread, then the treatment outlined is the course of action that we will take. Once they get the tumor out, they can determine how to treat this little better.
My concern at the moment is the stress that this has caused my wife. She is a very strong woman but, I can see the stress and she broke down one evening. I hate to drag her through this. She has done so much..she doesn’t deserve this.
I think we will get through this ok. Stay tuned…

Steve

27 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Steve

Good to hear that this is done and from the sound of it you are on your feet?!

How do you feel overall?

Big healing hug

Great news Steve! Heal well and quickly and get back to enjoying the summer-

Maura

Great news Steve! Will keep praying for your recovery.

Glad it was not as bad as you thought it would be, wishing you well for radiation.

My scans after surgery showed no detectable cancer. I started radiation and feel ok except for fatigue. I find that if I take a 30 min nap in the afternoon after I get finished with the radiation treatment, it helps me feel better. Also, I sleep better at night even with a nap in the afternoon.
One thing I'm not certain of is things that don't affect me emotionally, do now. I dont think I am depressed and feel ok but, when I see something that tugs at the heart strings emotionally, it affects me. Not sure if this is normal or not.
The radiation treatments themselves are not bad. The table is uncomfortable and having to remain in one position for 15 mins with my arms over my head is stressful however; it isn't so bad.
I will discuss my "emotional" issues with my doctor next week during our routine visits. Has anyone else had any mood swings with radiation therapy?

As someone who is a caretaker, I can't answer from personal knowledge, but I would think the fact that you have just had a scary diagnosis, one that has changed your life, and come through surgery with positive results, would be enough to make you feel more emotional. Life is understandably more precious.

Best to you in your continued treatments and healing-

Maura

One of the funniest stories of Rick during treatment was one day after a radiation treatment at Brigham and Woman's in downtown Boston. The traffic was horrible as usual and a driver cut us off. Now Rick was a pastor as well as a satellite engineer. A strong Christian, loving and forgiving, smiling and full of joy---and that Godly man rolled down his window, gave the guy the finger and spit on his car! My kids still laugh hysterically thinking of their gracious father doing that. So I would say a resounding yes, radiation makes you more emotional--whether it is just the experience or if it is something physical that happens. And don't be surprised if the docs say that it just couldn't possibly be so--but for those of us who experience these things, we know the rest of the story!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders