is anyone taking keppra.?

i have been having seizures for over 9 years now but for 3 of them i have not had one that i know of. i could have them when i am asleep bc i can shake and wake myself up so and i never know when i have one bc when i did have one i would always pass out befor i had one i never just had one, and when i would come too i never knew what had happen to me. but i was on some other types of meds to help me not have one but now i am on keppra 25mg 6 a day and i would like to know if anyone has or is taking this, i wish i never did have to be on this when i did not have one for 3 years the dr had to do an ekg test and see if i still needed to be on meds but a few days later i had to go back and he told me i was at high riske to have them still. but i am happy that i have not had one i always never did feel good after i had one, i would have them up too 2 or 5 a day then i would stop for a few days then it would hit me back.

10 replies. Join the discussion

Hi!! I'm new to this. I'm taking keppra and have for 6 yrs. I have tried depakote and dilantin, but I feel better with keppra. I take 1 twice a day. The only problem I have and it irritates me is that I forget a lot of things. But that is the side of affct of all meds. :( I aslo wish I didn't have to go through this. I feel alone especially if I have to deal with this the rest of my life it scares me. The weird thing is that I get a Ora I know when I'm going to have one. Its really scary I say.

i hear you.. i know .. it is really scary my son is going through this he is only 12 yrs old and i just started him on keppra , he gets a lilttle moody but i hope its going to help him ,, im scared shit i will lose him....i pray for everyone going through this

i take keppra 2000mg twice a day along with dilantin and lyrica. keppra has the least side effect of all seizure meds i have had. i do get forgetful and its very frustrating but i dont know if its from the keppra.

I take Keppra as well. Right now I am at 1000mg per day but still having seizures so they are going to look at upping the dose. I have been on a lot of the other ones, the last was Tegratol and they took me off of it because there was a slight chance that it could cause some serious lung problems. At the time I was in the hospital on a vent and they were trying to figure out the cause. I like the Keppra better though.

Hi, I began taking Keppra back in July. I was seizure free from July until last Thursday when I had one. They had me on 250mg twice a day but just upped it to 1000mg ( 2 500mg pills at a time) twice a day. I have seizures because I suffered head and brain trauma in an accident in May of 07 and have had 3 seizures since then. I know this is not nearly as many seizures as some of you are having but I still find it very discouraging and am scared because this is still very new to me.

I've had seizures since I was born. In addition to the seizure disorder, I also have Cerebral Palsy and am partially paralyzed on the left side of my body. I do however hold a full time job where I've worked for the past 23 years. The seizures have gotten a little more frequent, but not daily. I think it depends on the amount of stress in my daily life. My last seizure was in August 2009 and I fell and fractured the fibula in my right leg. The paralysis affects the left side of my body. I am currently taking 1200 mg of Carbatrol and 2000 mg of Keppra daily. Hang in there, you will survive. I am not saying every day is easy, buttaking every day "one day at a time" is the best advice I can give at the moment!

Hello butterfly, hope that keppra is working wonders for u. I loved it, unfortunatly my dr took me off it due to harsh mood swings.

I had my 1st seizure at 47. It was a result of getting off desipramine, antidepressant, given to me after a hysterectomy. I was allergic to premarin and estrogen they give you after a hysterectomy. I did find an estrogen i could take and took it and the antidepressant, desipramine, for many yrs and then I decided to get off. I spoke with a dr and he helped me get to half way off and that was my first seizure. i was at work. I had no idea I was going to have one. i had worked all day and had been working 14hr days at disney. I was half way off the desipramine, but didnt know that might be the cause of it. I started having pain around my eyes, but everyone was having pain becuz of the new carpet and new computer screens. they were flickering. then later that evening at work, I was finished and twirled around in my chair and went to look at my screen and that is all I remember. I woke in emergency, laying on a cot and heard people talking abt a woman who had a seizure at work. i opened my eyes and drs came to me and asked me how many fingers I saw. I wasnt in any pain for the moment..I then noticed I wet my breaches and my shoulder hurt. I had fallen on my shoulder from my chair. I tried dilantin and 7 days later I broke out in a rash. I was tried on several types of seizure drugs and none of them worked. so, I got bk on my antidepressant and didnt have a seizure for another 8 yrs. then i saw a dr after that time and he said to get off as the antidepressant was nothing but a glorified pain killer and to get off. so I was getting off and sure enough half way off bang. I had another seizure. I was at home and fell on the bathroom floor. I knew something was wrong. I didnt feel good that night and then the next morning I woke and my neck was jerking. I laid back down and had to go to the bathroom so bad I slid off the bed and as I got into the bathroom I must have had it. I dont remember it actualy. I woke as the ambulance people were getting me on a gerney and went out again. i woke in the hospital and was told I was being given KEPPRA. it was a new drug at the time..it worked well and within two weeks I was up and attum. I was also on half my antidepressant. I was taking the antidepressant and also the keppra and a different estrogen. I stayed on the keppra for a long time but only on 1000mgs...later abt a yr past and I decided once again to get off the antidepressant and the estrogen..I did that..and figured after getting off the antidepressant while on the keppra I should be ok as I thought my siezures were a result of trying to get off the antidepresant. so thenn later I got off the keppra. about 4wks later I had another seizure. I was at home alone. I was lucky as I fell to the floor and it was between a bunch of sharp furniture. I went to the hospital this time with my husband to the emergency room and had to wait about 7 hrs before seeing a dr. someone said that once a person has a seizure they dont have one right away. I saw the dr and he put me bk on the keppra again. I wasnt feeling bad. I started feeling bad as I took the keppra. when i took it before I didnt have any side affects at all. but as I was getting off of it I had horrible mood swings. when I was off I was fine. I was weak a little bit. when getting back on, I had horrible mood swings again and immediately on taking keppra, I had severe diahrea so bad I had to use a bed pad. I also had severe dizziness, and couldnt focus for awhile. later it went away. I started seeing a new neurologist and he said the 1000mgs wasnt enough..so he tried to get me up to 2000mgs saying it was theraputic. well, as I went up I got sicker and sicker and couldnt move and couldnt get out of bed. I began to drop weight and lost 25 lbs in abt 3 wks..scary. I lost muscle and bone actually as I found that out later. I was in bed from that for about 8wks...then the nuro tried me on something else..lamictal ..that was a nightmare..I couldnt sleep at all..it wouldnt let my brain shut off..then they put me on tryleptal and that nearly burned my kidneys out..I tried something else and it was bad also...I had been bed ridden for about 5 mos...not good...finally I said enough is enough...i would call my neuro and he wouldnt return my calls ..I told him i was going to take the keppra again but half the dose and get bk on my antidepressant...so I did that and moved from the area. I saw another dr where I live now and this new nuero said that 1000mgs was enough for me as it worked fine. i told her I was going to get on the antidepressant and get off the keppra and she said she wouldnt see me for legal reasons. she said if I got off the keppra that she could be liabel if I had any accidents. I had been given a blessing previous to this telling me that the keppra I was on at the time would feel as though I was on nothing..so when my new dr said she couldnt see me unless I was on the keppra...I felt that really I was suppose to be off the antidepressant and stay on the keppra...so I am now at 25mgs of the antidepressant which is the lowest dose. i am cutting it in pieces as I get off. well, I have gone below half way off the antidepressant and havent had a seizure and Im on 1000mgs of keppra...I was afraid. I have other problems as well but Im older and will be 59 this yr. well, I also discovered one more thing. when i went to the dr or have been going to drs they try to say that its genetic or it was in me already becuz other people get off desipramine and dont have seizures doing it. but when you read the contraindications regarding desipramine the antidepressant, it says you can have seizures getting on it..sort of like getting off valium or xanax. yes you can have seizures getting on or off any medication. In my case I took it for too long to try to get off. I was told to stay on it forever as they thought it would help me when I did have depression but I have only gone through depression three times and I was told by my religious leader that it wasnt good to stay on when in my case it was not all the time. plus I was put on the antidepressant because the drs who did my hysterectomy didnt know what to do with me..they didnt even think to see if I was allergic to the estrogen, premarin. instead they kept jumping to the fact that earlier in my life I had depression and assumed that my hysterectomy made me depressed. please, I had 5 kids already. I went to another dr who ran a blood test and found out immediately that I was allergic to premarin the estrogen and she got me off it and tried me on different ones, till she found one I could handle but by then the drs I was seeing had me on the antidepressant. that is what they did anyway for a lot of women who had hysterectomies, put them on antidepressants ..they are pain killers and it shuts the patient up so they drs dont have to deal with them. i was younger then and gulible and not the type to question the dr. I was desperate because I was a mess because of the allergy to the premarin so I was willing to do anything to get this over with. well, im older now and I argue with drs when I feel they are not doing right. If I hadnt stopped that idiot I was seeing for my last seizure he would have killed me. also, because of my persistance at trying to find out what was going on with all that medicine they were trying to pump down my throat ..I asked my pharmacist whom I knew for some time a question about keppra and he said something that stuck with me...he said its a good drug but you dont want to take it at the same time as taking other medication for a long time. well, I didnt know that and after my 2nd seizure, i was taking the antidepressant and the keppra together so when I was getting off one I was still getting off the other. so when I got off keppra I was still getting off the antidepressant and that is why I had the seizure. so, as of now like i said, Im getting off the antideprssant and will stay on the keppra...if I have to stay on the rest of my life I will do that. I am ok now...the only time I have problems is when I take something that causes bowel problems and the keppra doesnt absorb into my body. keppra absorbs into the body through the intestine...just remember that...i just got off an antibiotic for sinus infection and it made my stomach sensitive ..so my keppra felt as though it was burning my stomach..its just getting bk to normal...what a pain right...we hve to go through so many things..my mother who is still alive and my father..my mom is abt 77 and my dad 86...my mother is a naturopath..she is into herbs and supplements and knows what to take..so she is healthy and keeps my dad going...my only problem is...Im just as allergic to herbs and supplements as i was to other medicine...even vitamins..i have to be careful. someone said my liver probly isnt all that healthy..in that case its probly from my last bout with taking all the seizure meds which nearly killed me...i know it messed up my liver, I had tests done and my liver enzymes were not right and like I said my bones were getting thin and my muscles weak...I know it affected my heart...its been hard to get myself bk up there...I pray often for help from my Heavenly Father...I know He has been with me through all this...I can see His hand in my life...so I hang on and keep on praying...I have to say that I am grateful to have keppra....I do have a little problem like I said once in awhile with being a little aggressive and some anxiety or a little depression but it never lasts long...so I wait it out....it shouldnt last any longer then about 3 days....then your fine...its usually a result of like I said...being sick and it affecting your bowels or stomach....so take good care of yourself...and God bless....so far in my life now i have only had 3 seizures...and it started at 47, then one at 55 and then one at 57.....that is it...that is how i know its not genetic...I was blessed to raise 5 kids and drive all over the world...lucky me..I havent had another seizure since two yrs ago....but...I only drive once in awhile....Im careful..texas laws say 6mos on meds....I obey the laws and am more careful then the laws....

I recently had keppra added to topamax and depakote (which the doctor wants to eventually get me off of). He started me on 1000mg a day for one week, then 2000mg after that. I had a bad virus right after that and then bad allergies. My primary care doctor eventually prescribed super cough medicine, amoxicillin, and prednisone to deal with the virus and allergies. I began to feel weak and shaky, very drowsy, and had an itchy nose. I thought it was due to the prednisone, but these symptoms didn't go away once I finished the prednisone. I looked again at the side effects of keppra and realized that it was the keppra that was causing these side effects. I emailed my neurologist and he has reduced my dose back to 1000mg a day. I hope my drowsiness and shakiness (I have trouble standing up more than 5-10 minutes before my legs start trembling and I have to sit down.) will soon reverse itself since it has stopped my seizures and that my seizures won't start up again on the lower dose.

Hi. I'm on Keppra since Dec 09. Had (spontaneous-drs. don't know what/why this happened to me as I'm rather young & they usually see this in 80yr olds)subdural hematoma, craniectomy. Just had cranioplasty on 4/30. Don't think i've ever had a full blown seizure, only noticed early on my right hand would be shaky but then it had gone away. This morning though it seemed to be shaky again for some reason.. Will have to ask my dr. about it since my tbi was on the right side. I thought if i had any issues, it would be with my left hand/side, not my right..

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders