what are good PFT results?

I recently had a PFT and I am trying to figure out if it is good or bad. Does anyone know what your numbers should be? Also I was just taken off celebrex - causing gastritis - any ideas what I can take then? Thanks for your help.

17 replies. Join the discussion

I don't know how it's measured, but I am having one next week (first time) and I'll let you know!

Zoe

I just got my results too and have no idea what I'm looking at!

Each time you have your PFT done, ask for a copy of the SPIR0METRY REPORT.
At the bottom of the page should be some numbers under each trial they had you breathe.
The letters FVC means Largest amount of air expelled after the deepest inhalation.
FEV1 means the max amount of air expelled in [1 one] second.
FEV1/FVC % means what your lung function is at. Example **58, you're breathing at 58 % out of 100%.

There are other graphs on the page also. After you have a few PFT reports, there will be a pattern. You will be able to see for yourself the range and if it is staying the same or changing.
I hope this helps.
Cindy

Thanks Rhettswoman, I just went on WebMD to see and it gave me what each abbreviated portion means but I wasn't sure what the numbers mean. So now that I see your information I see my numbers went down from Decembers test and read the computer suggests I have an obstructive lung defect with a normal total lung capacity. The diffusing capacity is reduced. Which leans toward emphazema I'm assuming. Bummer.

Always ask the person giving the test and when you see the doctor go over each test with him/her. The physician is ALWAYS the first person you discuss anything concerning tests. every patient is different.

Now that you know the numbers and what everthing means, you will be able to follow along when your doctor is talking to you. I keep a notebook updated with all information, medications, articles I have read, which always bring up questions for the doctor. All this is kept in a bag ready to grab to take with me to the hospital or any new doctor appointment. It helps when you see a new doctor...they know you have knowledge and are involved in your health and treatments.
I hope I helped.
Cindy

So, when I am doing a PFT I can ask the technician for the results? I assumed I would have to wait until they were sent to my rheumatologist. I am also wary about asking technicians for information because they often aren't allowed to give it to you.

I am having my first PFT on Wednesday.

Zoe

I have had four PFT's done over the last few years. The last two were done by my current Pulmonologists office. They told me not much has changed but that was about it. The first two were done by the department in the hospital and they would say whether I was within normal range or not. That was the extent. My doctor's never explained any of it to me. You bet I will be asking when I go back though.

I just got the results of my most recent PFT. The DLCO was 79% of predicted which was remarked as reduced, and the report said that my lung function was "mildly abnormal gas exchange."

People, you should be getting copies of the printed reports and keeping them in a notebook! That way you can keep track of what's happening. In scleroderma the DLCO is a most important number.

DebMew, a reduced DLCO does not mean ephysema. Reduced DLCO in scleroderma probably means interstitial lung disease. In emphysema the FEV1/FVC ratio is less than about 70%. That means there is air trapped in the lungs that cannot be exhaled. Another indicator of trapped air is the RV (residual volume) and RV/TLC (residual volume to total lung capacity ratio). Ideally, without emphysema those numbers should be around the predicted level, or even lower than predicted. They get increased in emphysema because of trapped air.

By contrast, in interstitial lung disease (ILD) there may not be significant reduction of the FEV1/FVC ratio. But the TLC may be very reduced, and so is the DLCO. An isolated reduction in DLCO is consistent with both PH and ILD. Reduced lung volumes are only apparent in advanced ILD.

Of course it's possible to have more than one thing going on, including aspiration of stomach contents in GERD.

I just got my PFT results and trying to figure this out. The reviewing doc says lung volumes within normal ranges, diffusing capacity mildly reduced. The DLCO is 65%, wouldn't that be more than a mild reduction?

My DCLO shows % Pred 42.7, what would that mean? There is a DLCOSB and a DLCoc the SB is the 42.7. All I know is I'm tired of feeling like crap. I am falling asleep at my desk at work, driving my eyes close and my hands and feet feel like they went through a fire and they burn like a brushburn. My knees hurt to get up and then sit down again. I can't get out of my car without my knees and feet hurting. I need it to stop. I'm tired of complaining and I don't know what to do. I miss my sister who passed away in March and I just want to cry. I have had a sinus infection three times in three months and now my throat is getting sore again. sorry .....just having a moment here. No responses necessary just needed to get it off my chest. Love you guys! Deb

Lgspray, with normal lung volumes and reduced DLCO, that sounds a bit like possible pulmonary hypertension. Have you had an echocardiogram to check for PH?

DebMew your DLCO is only 42.7% of what would be predicted for your age and physique. That's way down. How is your total lung capacity ( TLC)? If the TLC's normal maybe its PH, but iif the TLC's reducedl, then you may be looking at interstitial lung disease. Did you have a cardioechogram? and what did it show? Sorry if I've asked this before.

Some of thes so-called rheumatoligsts need to get on the ball with ordering echocardiograms!

Once again, thank you DaisyDo.

I have interstitial lung disease. When I have a pft, the numbers that are abnormal are highlighted in red. My tlv (total lung volume) was originally 77 percent of normal and my dclo was 42; both not good. The good news is, that after a year on cytoxin, my stats are up by about 7 percent. I'm still very short of breath on exertion and the fatigue is awful. It's a wonderful idea to keep all of your test results so that you have a baseline and can follow progress. As I believe daisy do said, echocardiograms are crucial to rule out pulmonary hypertension (very serious). Initially I was having pft's every three months; now every six. Echo is once a year now. Hope this helps. Make sure to ask your dr questions until you're satisfied. Call them and ask if you forget anything; we pay their paychecks.

Zoe, I asked for a copy at my last PFT appt and was told she could not give it to me...very irritating since she could just print an extra copy right there. I was able to get a copy from my dr. A previous provider gave me a copy, though. Next time, I'll be going back to the first provider!

Daisy
My TLC says PRE 6.18, %Pred 106.5, Pred 5.80. I'm not short of breath and my breathing seems fine. I'll see my rhemy Monday and let you know what he tells me. Thanks for the input.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders