Watermelon stomach

I would like to know if anyone else has watermelon stomach. I am 106 lbs but my stomach is always sticking out. Can anyone explain to me what is happening and how i can fix it?

34 replies. Join the discussion

I had this problem for over 2 years! I still do occasionally but have found some amazing things that help. One, if you can, look up the diet 'low residue'. Our digestive systems have problems processing any types of insoluble fiber. We must eat more soluable fiber which doesn't block us up thus creating less stool and gas. The watermelon stomach is coming from the excess gas. You can also take probiotics which helps along with these vitamins: Vitamin D, Magnesium, Vitamin E, fish oil. Also, ask your doctor about Amitiza. It helps digest the food faster. Drinking lots of water always helps along with Miralax. I know this is a lot, but I assure you that these things will help. Also there is a breathing excercise that I learned that has been helping so much. It helps restore the oxygen within your digestive area. Breathe in through your nose while filling up your stomach ( it helps to keep your hand on your stomach and actually push out your belly as you are breathing in to really fill it up) then breathe out slowly through your mouth while letting the air in your belly slowly diminish. Please, any questions, don't hesitate to message me! I hope this helps!

Watermelon stomach is not bloating, or your stomach sticking out from excess gas.
Gastric antral vascular ectasia (GAVE) syndrome), also known as watermelon stomach is a significant cause of acute or chronic gastrointestinal blood loss and is characterized endoscopically by “watermelon stripes. It is a condition in which the lining of the stomach bleeds, causing it to look like the characteristic stripes of a watermelon when viewed by endoscopy.Symptoms of watermelon stomach may include sudden, unexplained bleeding, chronic bleeding, and anemia. Other symptoms may include vomiting of blood and dark stools that contain blood.
Usually the primary symptom of Watermelon Stomach or GAVE syndrome is iron deficiency anemia and it is diagnosed by an endoscopy. The bleeding does not cause any gas, bloating, or your stomach sticking out. It is not called watermelon stomach because your stomach sticks out like a watermelon, but because of the characteristic look of watermelon stripes of bleeding telangiectasia viewed on an endoscopy.

Scleroderma can cause other GI problems that can cause bloating but this is not called watermelon stomach.

"Watermelon stomach" doesn't mean you feel you have a watermelon in your belly! It refers to the stripes of bleeding that may be in your stomach. I had an episode of this years ago. It was treated with cauterizing the stomach tissue. Since then I have been cautioned not to take aspirin or NSAIDS that could cause stomach bleeding. As for the poofy belly, I too have that while also being around 106 pounds. Truly annoying as it makes you feel "fat" when you know you aren't. My understanding is this is gas built up in the gut. I don't really know what to do about it, except eating small meals, no raw vegetables, no hard-to-digest foods (like steak). When i feel i look 5 months pregnant i am not too happy!

The term "watermelon stomach" doesn't refer to it sticking out like you describe. It refers to the striped appearance that the stomach has on the inside when an endoscopy is done. Here are pictures of the inside of a stomach that is a "watermelon stomach." https://www.google.com/search?q=%22watermelon+stomach%22&client=firefox-a&h s=kSk&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_nbEUceCD eL10gGap4CgAQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1213&bih=578 . Those red stripes are actually telangiectasias - areas with enlarged capillaries. This condition is also known as GAVE, which stands for Gastric Antrum Vascular Ectasia. The antrum is an area near the bottom of the stomach. Vascular ectasia means dilation of the blood vessels. The blood vessels in these strips are fragile and can break and bleed, causing loss of blood down the GI tract and anemia; sometimes very serious anemia.

When a stomach (OR GI tract) sticks out like you describe, it can be due to slow transit of food through the GI tract, which scleroderma can certainly do. The longer food sits in the GI tract, the more it ferments, and the more it ferments, the more the GI tract gets blown up with gasses. This can be what we call "bacterial overgrowth." And sometimes oral antibiotics are necessary to get the overgrowth of fermenting bacteria under control.

So although a person CAN have both watermelon stomach and bacterial overgrowth, they are really two different things.

I have "watermelon stomach" and have been getting treated for it for almost a year. The treatments involve an EGD to cauterize any bleeding vessels seen at the time of procedure. The bleeding has caused me anemia and very low iron numbers. My stomach is not bloated in any way.

Thank you all for answering my question about watermelon stomach. I will take all of your advice to heart and do the things that you have mentioned to help. I am very interested in the cauterization of my blood vessels in my stomach. I will definitely ask my rheumatologist about this. I am anemic also so hopefully doing something like that will help. Thank you all again!

If you are having GI problems, you need to see a gastroenterologist. Your rheum should be able to refer you to someone with experience in sclero related GI problems. I have a ton of that bloating too. I have improved by doing a gluten free diet, low sugar, no processed foods. Also I am cycling antibiotics, one week out of every month, for bacterial overgrowth. I also drink at least 64 ounces of water a day, including lemon in most of it. Lemon helps digestion and helps level the body's overall pH level.

Lemon does not neutralize acid. Lemon juice IS an acid: citric acid with a little ascorbic acid thrown in. So, it's not going to help gastric reflux. Neither will vinegar, which is mainly acetic acid, nor carbonated beverages, which are mainly carbonic acid. There is a whole lot of mis-information and myth on the web, especially in so-called nuitrition or health food web sites, often written by people who've never had a course in chemistry.

Lemon is alkaline forming :) . when it reacts with the acid in the stomach - it turns a lot more alkaline making it an "alkaline food" . Other good things for helping an achy tummy is raw ginger & probiotics. take real raw ginger and chew on it - that def. helps

My stomach also sticks out, mostly after meals, but my problem turned out to be gastroparesis. If you go to a doctor, they can advise you best. You may want to visit a gastrologist.

DareYou2move, please explain how citric acid and ascorbic acid together with hydrochloric acid (gastric acid) is "alkaline forming." I realize that citric acid is a weak acid, but it's still an acid. Lemon juice has a pH of about 2.3, while gastric acid has a pH of between 1.5 to 3.5, so both are definitely acidic. 7 is neutral. Anything above 7 is alkaline.

Wouldn't distention be a more appropriate term than watermelon stomach?

Wow, I always find informative things here that make me think more and more that I will eventually have a diagnosis of more than UCTD and fibromyalgia.

In 2011 I had my second colonoscopy because of blood in made stool. I do remember that this was the first time I had a hiatal hernia and diverticulosis. It also mentioned that the enlarged patch of gastritis was striped. It didn't say anything further that I remember and recommended a recheck in five years. My bloodwork has chronically shown anemic but my doctors attribute it to the fact that I am thal minor (thalacemia) whichaffects the values of red blood cells. It seems that most doctors don't know what the correct values for thal minor should be so they don't concern themselves with the low counts. The internist that my sister-in-law works for seemed to think there was slight anemia besides the fact of thal minor.

So I have been on omeprazole for at least five years for gerd, should this have also prevented the patch of gastrtitis from getting worse?

Just some random thoughts that may or may not be related. Sorry for the ramble:)

When my scleroderma is out of control my 'watermelon stomach' (G.A.V.E.) flares. The first symptoms are always black stools, anemia, and low iron. Changing my diet doesn't seem to help.... Getting the scleroderma under control again does help. When my Hb drops below 7 we start talking about getting on the schedule for cryo-treatment to stop the bleeding.

I take ALIGN - which seems to help with bacterial growth and stomach/abdominal bloating. I tried gluten-free diet for six months but never saw much benefit - though bread products do seem to move through my GI tract more slowly. Being vigilant with my fruit and veggie consumption works well for me.

thank you for that info about misinformation. we do need to be careful with the info provided and check it out.

Today my watermelon stomach isn't too bad. It is probably because I haven't eaten much today. I usually drink a slimfast in the morning to coat my stomach and then little meals throughout the day. So my question is; do I put lemon in my water or not?

Not sure if it is distention or "watermelon stomach". I guess I would have to get checked out for that to make sure.

@srmorris - are you concerned about stomach bleeding (watermelon stomach) or stomach swelling (distended)? Two very different things.

SrMorris, a distended (bloated stomach) as I explained before is NOT the same as a watermelon stomach. You DON'T have a watermelon stomach unless a doc has done an endoscopy and found the strips. And No you do NOT add lemenjuice to your water, because it will aggravate your gastric reflux. Lemon juice is acid, not alkaline. The PH of lemon juice is about 2.3, which is highly acidic. Anything under a pH of 7 is acidic.

I find that a little lemon juice in hot water (I add stevia to sweeten) helps me with bloating and water retention.

Lemons have a low, highly acidic pH, which is attributable to their citric acid content. The acidity of a fresh lemon can vary between 2.2 and 2.4 on the pH scale, depending on the fruit's state of ripeness. Canned, unsweetened lemon juice has a consistent pH of 2.3. Compared to lemons, limes are slightly more acidic, oranges and grapefruit are slightly less acidic and cranberries are approximately as acidic. The pH nature of lemons changes during the body's metabolic process, however, and they become highly alkaline-forming. Adding just 1 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice to a glass of water is an easy way to give your body a boost of alkalinity.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/498141-can-adding-lemon-juice-water-make- water-alkaline/#ixzz2WyVltN2u

thanks for posting that - I was researching it and had a hard time finding an article that you could read the whole thing instead of just the abstract thanks

and yes once again- there is high controversy between Alkaline-Acid charting ... between both Holistic and conservative MD's. but so far I have found the Holistic Methods have helped me tremendously . Ginger has helped my stomach- alkaline diet has helped so many things! aloe vera has anti inflammatory mechanisms as well cocoanut water is a great source of electrolytes and cocoanut oil has been proven to fight off infections, virus's, and helps absorb fat soluble vitamins.

I am not saying all these things will just HEAL someone- but I do believe the Earth has more benefits than we think. I would rather fill my body up with natural herbs and supplements (supplements found in the correct places) than eat more GMO food off the shelves of the grocery stores. I truly believe GMO foods and other chemicals are a BIG reason for autoimmune diseases and I wish I knew this earlier . Some Countries in Europe don't even ALLOW GMO's to be used anymore. Anything that has been "genetically Modified" just puts up a red flag. genetics- are not meant to be messed with. unfort. people are more interested in money than health - and we continue to crop genetically modified foods

and id rather take a natural remedy over chemical compounded medications any day... though we all know sometimes we have to rely on the chemical medications.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders