Vomiting in your sleep

I was wondering does any one else have the problem of vomiting in your sleep? The other night my dinner tried to kill me. I ate pasta for dinner. 4 hours later I went to bed. I woke up choking on vomit. My husband was terrified. I don't understand how this is possible. Can anybody enlighten me?

19 replies. Join the discussion

Reflux disease (GERD) is pretty common in sclero patients.

Are you sleeping on a wedge, or is your head higher than the foot of your bed? Are you taking a proton-pump inhibitor?

Well I do have acid reflux I take nexium twice a day. But I did not know i choke in my sleep. I will try the wedge pillow thing.

Choking on reflux isn't uncommon. I know I've done it.

You may need to ask your doc for something stronger than Nexium.

I do not eat anything for at least 4 hours before bed. I have GERD and limited motility. The food stays in my stomach for hours. Sometimes 4 hrs. isn't enough time. That's when I get sick but I am awake when I vomit.

Yes the same thing started happening to me, Ive had gerd forever but about 6-8 months ago My dinner would start to come up as soon as i fell asleep It was horrible and very scary After a visit with my GI doc. he ordered a test to see if i have a stomach mobility problem and it showed I have very very slow stomach movement. thanks to Scleroderma. The doc. ordered a compound drug called domperidone 20mg. It has helped alot, he also told me to walk if possible after eating, sleep with elevated bed or wedge and not to eat anytime close to bed time. Hope this helps you I know how terrible this is. Anna Lingle

Domperidone is not available in the United States.

I forgot to mention to look up on the internet slow digesting foods, I know Pasta and ice cream are the some of the worst. A.L.

yes it is My GI doc wrote me a prescrip. and i get it filled at a local pharmacy its a compound drug my insurance does not pay for it. but it is available here.

Really, my doctor told me it was illegal here.

I too have suffered from this and it still occurs occasionally, even though I've been on Domperidone for about 18 months.

yes I have. You need to tell your doctor. Vomiting is not a benign thing at all. The acid can cause damage to your Very thin esophagus. Raising the head of your bed helps. drink warm water before bed, tums but especially call your doctor. Diane.

Thank you all soooooo much this has helped. I am looking into the wedge pillows. and I will talk with my Dr. about the sleep vomiting. It is horrible. Maybe he can give me something stronger.

Yes I have vomited in my sleep. Do get the wedge it works great and be cautious of aspirating that vomit into your lungs. I suffered with chronic lung infrctions from this and it has left me with scarring in my lungs. Get to your doc right away. Take care...Kymmie

Domperidone is the same drug as Motillium.It was prescribed for me by my Dr. @ Johns Hopkins.It helps tremendously & replaced Reglan which is used for the same problem but has unfavourable side effects.

I too have GRD and yes it is frightening when it hits you in your sleep.

I was taking Pepcid AC OTC and it must have stopped working because my GRD hit me with a vengence during the night (but not every night). I told my primary physician about it and she sent me to get both an upper GI and a lower GI (mom had pollips sp?). Lower GI was clear (more on that in a moment) but upper GI showed I had small peptic ulcers in the lining of my stomach.

GI doctor put me on "Omeprazole Dr 40 mg once a day 30 minutes before eating the first meal of the day". I fell much better and havn't (knock on wood) and a "event" in months.

Now for the lower GI. I have one every five years (I'm 62 and started having them done when I was 30). I have SUFFERED with IBS (irratable bowel syndrome) since I was less than 10 years old. The last lower GI I had done in January said everything was normal.

The day after St. Patrich's Day, (which was a Thrusday) I had an ATTACK! It was the second ATTACK this year but this time I was throwing up stomach acid. I went to the walk in clinic who sent me to the emergency room and was admitted in.

Saturday I had a "swollow the barium" test done (I swear that they recycle that stuff because it tasted awful! LOL! 4.5 hours into the test the doctor found that I my small intestine had a corner that was bent over line a garden hose when you want to shut it off! It was an AH! moment. Monday they did explority surgery (six bullet holes in my abdominal area) removed my gall bladder and a (to quote the doctor) "spider web of adhesions that pulled my small intestine updide down"!

I left the hospital on Tuesday and felt better than I have felt in 50+ years!

But that's not the end of the story. 30 days to the day that I left the hospital, I was back in for IBS! SOB! I told the doctor that I had screwed up his work. He assured me that I didn't but that his staf had neglected to give me my "low residue diet". Three pages of what to and not to eat!

I've been OK since then but that "low residue diet" is a challange. EVERYTHING that the diabetic diet (I'm a type II diabetic) says you should or shouldn't eat IS EXACLTY OPPOSITE OF A LOW RESIDUE DIET! GIVE ME A BREAK! EX: diabetic diet says NEVER consume sugar but consume artificail sugars. Low residue diet says NEVER consume artifical sugars, consume natural sugar!

Bottom line, I eat eveything in moderation.

The point of this story is that a lower GI doesn't look at the small intestine. So if you have digestive distress SOMETIMES the small intestine can cause this. Think of the digestive system like a manufacturing line. Mouth to throat to stomach to small intestne to large intestine and out. One part doesn't work well the whole system is affected.

I wish you all well.

Remember, there is only one person that takes care of "ME" and that's "ME". Doctors are humans and they make mistakes and miss things. Don't give up just because one doctor says there's nothing HE or SHE can do. Sometimes there's another doctor that CAN do something about your illness.

I have a hiatial hernia -- juices from stomach leak up into esophagus. You should get checked for this. It is all part of the lovely package of autoimmune disease. I take Prilosec every day. I also suggest that you avoid very spicy foods and try hard to avoid late dining (or at least keep it light). Think of yourself as a gremlin. No eating after 7 pm (or whatever). It makes all the difference.

Do you take any meds like Nexium Protonix or Zegerid? I have the same problem as you. It is Gerd and mine is very bad. Sometimes I vomit all night and sometimes I have bad reflux like you. I end up with aspiration pneumonia and have had it more times than I care to remember.
I have been in the hospital the last 5 times.
You need to elevate your bed with a wedge pillow or prop up the legs of the top of your bed. Also be on a med like I mentioned and I also take 300 mg Zantac at night. I have to be very careful of what I eat and never eat within 2 hours of bedtime. I hope you r doctor prescribes something for you and that you feel better quickly.
Also I take domperidon because my stomach doesn't empty properly.

Good luck!!!

I used to have that happen in my sleep also. Since, I do not eat, and no alcohol in the evening after supper, I am fine.

It is frightening when, in your sleep, you throw up strong gastric acid which burns the esophagus. I had been diagnosed a few years ago with Barrett's Disease, no doubt due to those acid regurgitations The worse part is that Barrett's is precancerous and needs to be watched by my gastrologist every year.

kmalette,
I was noticing the same problem. I now take medication for GERD (Dexilant- anoth Proton Pump inhibitor- that is time released); Zantac (for gastritis); and Domperidone for delayed gastric emptying. I also use a wedge on my bed to sleep.

One thing I don't think I saw mentioned was that Scleroderma can cause scar tissue - including at the bottom of your esophagus (where food enters your stomach). The bottom usually acts like a one way valve- allowing food into your stomach, but then closes off to keep it from going the other way. From a CT scan and endoscopy- I was told that the scar tissue at the bottom of my esophagus is causing this area (I think its called the GE Junction) to stay open, so food/ stomach acid can come back up my esophagus.

Combine this with gastric emptying slowness (which has been mentioned) and you have food staying longer in the stomach, which can then come back up your esophagus if you lay flat - and for a longer period of time than for most people due to the slowed emptying.

Hope that helps,
GeekGirl

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders