Vitamin D Deficiency ????

I have a Vitamin D Deficiency. I have noticed that several people on some of the discussions has it also. Does anyone know why you get this? It's new to me, mine is 25....I just know the Dr. started giving me B 12 shots and it hasn't helped at all. I have never heard of scleroderma causing this?

21 replies. Join the discussion

I was diagnosed in Feb. of this year with Scleraderma so this is all very new to me. My doctor that diagnosed me put me on vitamin D. When I asked him why he said it was a very common thing for Scleraderma patients to be vitamin D deficient. My next visit I will ask him what my levels are. Now you got me thinking about it lol.

Thanks Lisa Lynn, I didn't know if the vit.D thing was related to scleroderma. You'd think I'd know, I have had limited for 25 years. It gets worse the older you get, or mine does. Thanks for the info.

I know there are a lot of people on the sclero board that are Vitamin D deficient. I was on 50,000 units a
week and took it for a year. I now take 1200 units a day and so far it has been stable since February.
I do think it is sclero related.

According to my doc they have just started testing for it (the test was just developed), that almost everyone is vit d deficient.
littlered2

My rheumatologist said that a dificiency in vitamin D may be the cause of autoimmune disease. So I try to take a supplement when I think about it.

Here's an article I found a while back:
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/6123/title/Food_for_Thought__Und erstanding_Vitamin_D_Deficiency

Sammieh:

Did your vit-D regimen have any affect on your scleroderma? Did it make you better or halt the further progression of the scleroderma.

No, not that I noticed. But it does seem that since I went off the high dose in January I have had more problems.. I don't think it has anything to do with the vit D. The last time it was tested it was in the normal range.

Yes, this must be a new way to get more money from us. I got a bill the other day for an extensive vitamin D test. i owed 60.00 after insurance paid their part. what's more my rheumy never said a word about it to me, it was just on the lab work I was given. Now my internist is the one that ordered my vit. b 12 shots. My Dr. also said that everyone has vit. D deficiency but HELLO, it seems like mine is costing a lot of money to just tell me that.......and why won't they let me give the shots myself????? Because they won't make the money from the office visit they're going to charge to the insurance company.

I too have vit D deficiency, I was dx with scleroderma offically 3 weeks ago but have know it was likely for 6 months. I went into my Rhem at Cleveland Clinic and he said I was prob low and ordered lab work and my Vit D was 18 so he put me on 50,000 units 2x a week for 6 weeks then wants my level rechecked, if not improved them I do 50,000 units 3x for for additional 6 weeks and recheck again. I am not sure why if you are deficent on Vit D you would get a B12 shot?? I dont think it will hurt anything but it wont raise your Vit D. I also have to take a cacium supplemnt as the calcium helps absord the Vit D better. My doc says the deficency is from the scleroderma. hope that helped
Lisa

and also it is true that even most people without scleroderma are also deficent on Vit D but not as bad as us, the vit d level should be 40-80 so when your doc says most people are this is true but they are like in high 30's. 18 and 16 are way to low.

hey Chickielmw, my vitamin D level was 18 too. I go back tomorrow to the Dr. and get another shot. They don't do a thing for me. I will ask why I can't just take Vit D by mouth.

My doc has said it's autoimmune related, not just sclero. I also have Fibro & it's common there, too. Anyway, I take the supps & B-12 shots. They showed me how to do the shops myself at home (2x weekly) since my insurance doesn't cover vitamin shots. Ask them--they may let you do it if you work with them.

Thanks everybody, it's sad that everyone here is as smart or smarter than the drs.

Wow, I have been searching for years to find out what is wrong with me. Went to the Dr. yesterday, she told me I was very vitamin D deficient. It's weird, we are finally coming close to a diagnosis and scleroderma was a distinct possibility. Mostly I just hear I have some kind of connective tissue disease. Even when I look up vit D deficiency it does not mention scleroderma.

Thank all of you for your help, This is the first answer I have had in 25 years that has made any sense to me.

I too am Vit D and B-12 deficient. If deficient in those areas, I suspect I may be in other areas as well but you just can't test them. It's a curious and perplexing connection and seems to be linked to both scleroderma and autoimmune conditions in general.

It is very inexpensive and easy to give your own injections of B-12. I've been doing it monthly for 18 months. There is no reason for anyone not to be able to do it. The cost is about $1 an injection versus a copay of $25. Plus, think about all of the time you save!! Vit D, ergcalciferol, is an rx at 50,000 and should be covered by insurance.

While we are on the vitamin topic, all of us should probably be supplementing Omega 3's with fish and flax seed oil. Both have anit-inflamatory properties and are difficult to get enough of in our daily diets.

Do you find a difference in how you feel?

All of a sudden everybody is on D. Nobody seems exactly sure why, except that they were found to be low on D as is most of the population. Will D level go up in the summer when everybody is out in the sun? The only good thing is that it is cheap if you get it over the counter. Does anybody notice improvement in their scleroderma now that everyone has been put on D?

I was low in Vit D before I was D with SD. It is common for older folks who live in the north and are inside in the winter months, This was true years ago as well, just no way to measure it in numbers, so I'm told. I remember my Mom suggesting we be outside on sunny days to get the Vit D. I too am low and now have SD. I did the heavy dose a year ago and have been able to maintaine the correct level for the year by taking multi vit and vit D tablets. This has been my experience.

I am 27/f with raynauds/systematic scleroderma. My PCP just ran a bunch of blood work and my ANA went up to 1:1280... he said this was the highest he has ever seen just beating out my first positive a few years ago of 1:640.

But this time he ran other tests and found that my Vitamin D was at 9! And my B12 was at 296 (very low but within range). He is starting me on B12 shots and Monthly D supplements.

I am very fair and have had sun poisoning quite a few time before I hit 18 and realized how stupid I was for risking it and now very rarely spend time in the sun... he said I should stick with the no sun cause its not worth the risk of skin cancer and do the D supps.

I, also, have a Vit D defiency. My medical MD suggested checking it last October and it came back lower levels. He did't give me a dosage just told me to start taking Vit D. So I am taking 2,000 IE
daily, I wonder is this is enough? I see some of you are on higher doses,
I read a study done by the Mayo clinic they discovered that people with RA, and severe pain had vit D defiency

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders