Tramadol = sleeplessness?

My rheumy prescribed Tramadol to relieve the leg and hip pain that has been plaguing me overnight. I took it for the first time last night. The good news is - I had much less pain. The bad news is - I was awake well past 4:30 am! I could not fall asleep. I have the same problem if I take Vicodin. I just looked at the prescription info and it lists "drowsiness" as a side effect. I seem to have the direct opposite reaction. Anyone else have this problem? I am sooooooooooo tired!!!!!

19 replies. Join the discussion

I take tramadol and can not really say that it makes me drowsy or keeps me awake. I do have occasional nights (once or twice a week) when I can not fall asleep for more than 1 hour. I can't really relate it to any of my meds as sometimes I have taken tramadol, and sometimes not....... Usually the next night I sleep like a baby, probably from exhaustion.
I would just give it a few more days to see if it is consistent.
Good luck!

I've heard from some that Tramadol has an energizing effect on them. I take an extended release form that keeps it on a more even keel throughout the day. My dosage is 200 mg/day, but it comes in up to 400 mg tablets in the extended release form. I also take a regular 50mg tablet for breakthrough pain and it works for me. People have such different reactions from drugs. My son gets really hyper on benadryl, and if I take it I cannot stay awake. Maybe you can call your Dr.s office and explain this issue to his/her nurse or physician's assistant. That way, you can request a prescription for the extended release tramadol without needing to pay for another office visit and they can call it in to your pharmacy.

I also have hip pain that can keep me awake at night. I found that applying a heating pad relieves that pain immediately and for as long as the heat is applied, it stays away. I usually just turn on my side and let the weight of my body push the heating pad against my hip and that seems to work best. The pain from your hip can radiate and make it seem like there is pain the whole way down your leg. I hope you can get some relief!

Thanks so much for the advice. I emailed my doctor to tell him about my reaction to the drug. Perhaps I should learn a lesson from this and start out slowly with any new meds...maybe half a pill at first, if possible. On the plus side, it's been a good excuse to take a couple of little naps today and to put off to tomorrow some of the chores I had intended to tackle. I might be able to get out of cooking dinner tonight too! Always a silver lining...

Hi BarbMarie, regular tramadol had the same affect on me; it kept me up and doing things for hours! Not conducive to relaxing a sore body...I know opiates can have an 'energising effect' on people and tramadol is a synthetic opioid so it makes sense that it would have similar results.
I tried the slow release, one in the morning and had much better results. By night-time, I still had the pain relief effect of the medication but had pretty much run out of energy. In saying that, it also gave me palpitations, nausea, and sometimes the feeling of wanting to faint, so I gave up on it. It'll be interesting to see what your dr says. I hope you find some pain relief. Hip pain at night is just terrible....
Good luck,
tiff.

Iv been on tramadal for a few years now, I have had the same issue the whole time. I have learned I am not able to take more the 100mg in a day, or it makes me I'll feeling. And I can nit take it past about noon or I will not be able to sleep. This is the same with any other Rx pain meds. not even benadril makes me sleepy. So I often laugh at that "may cause drowsiness" lable. To be honest I have had to resort to smoking pott at night, one it helps with my pain, since I can not take meds late ib the day. And I'm am hurting at a 10 after work everyday. And two it helps with the insomnia. So untill I get my health insurance approved and I can get proper meds, I have no choice, I can't afford to miss work cause I was up in pain all night. Which does still happen 1-2 time a week. But hey I take it over 7.
And one more thing that happened with the tramadal was, for about the first 2-3 weeks when I took the tramadal I would have a hard time peeing. Would take about 3 mins or so to get it going. I even tested it cause I wasn't sure, but yeah the says I did not take it I would be fine. I don't know if that was normal cause u never asked the doc about it. But just thought I would share incase you have any similar side affects.
Take care,
Hope

I have been using a Fentanyl patch 100 mob which is changed every three days. It works on the pain and I don't feel tired or drugged. Hope this helps

Interesting, I never thought about it. I take 50 mg in the morning and 50mg at night, but I rarely ever sleep well, only if I take an Imitex for a migraine it makes me sleepy. If I'm lucky I get about 3 - 4 hours a night for the past 20 years and I've been on Tramadol about 10 years so I guess it isn't making much of a difference.. It may make me a little dizzy. I know prednisone leaves me wired. I think general pain keeps me awake I have to keep turning over because this or that hurts.

I hope you find something to help with the pain that will let you sleep.

Well, I took 1/2 a pill last night around 7...by 9 I had to go to bed because I was feeling nauseous. I fell asleep right away and got a pretty good night sleep. However, the 1/2 pill didn't help my pain. Hmmm. So, I'm not quite sure if this is the drug for me. I think I'll try the 1/2 pill again tonight and see how I do.
Thanks, everyone, for responding. It's interesting to hear about all the different ways Tramadol affects people. Wouldn't a magic wand be so much easier?

Hey sophiebun,
I'm not sure if you know this, but you're not supposed to take tramadol and Imitrex together because they can cause something called "serotonin syndrome". I was really sad when I found this out because I get horrible migraines that I take Imitrex for! The neurologist and Rheumatologist both told me that I shouldn't take them within 24 hours of each other because it takes that long for the drug to clear your system. Sorry!!!!
I just thought you should know!

I take 50 mg of tramadol in the morning and then sometimes 25 or 50mg around noon but NEVER past 2:00. Generally helps my pain even at nite and I have no trouble sleeping. But I go to bed kinda late-

Tramadol never did anything for my pain, but it did make me somewhat drowsey. Now, I take 1 percocet every night and a clonazapam and they do help me get to sleep, and relieve my pain, but I find myself waking up several times during the night. I used to be able to sleep through anything until a few years ago. Now I can't sleep through the entire night and only get about 5-6 hours. The nights that I have acid reflux about 1 hour after I go to sleep are even worse. I end up sitting upright in bed and dozing off periodically for a couple of hours, till I know the GERD is under control.

Well, I took 1/2 pill again last night. I tossed and turned all night long, got no pain relief, and have one heck of a headache this morning! I hereby declare myself done with the Tramadol!

I've been taking Tramadol for some time and it acts as a stimulate to me as well as provides pain relief during the day time. Mostly I take 1/2 or 1 Tramadol along with 2 extra strength Tylenol. This hold me over for about 6 hours. I don't take Tramadol after 3 PM as I find it contributes to my already challenges to sleep. I get it that it may be interfering with sleep. Good luck in finding how to make it work best for you.

I've been taking Tramadol with similar side effects. I have a terrible time trying to sleep. We've tried sleeping pills and all have reverse effect; I'm up all night! Tramadol also makes me neaseaous. Go figure. Hope you find something that helps. Kaye

I was just put on Acetaminophin-Tramadol 325-37.5 for chest pains. This medicine is suppose to be calmer to the stomach with us w/ GI problems. Acataminophin is used to relieve pain. Tramadol is similar to narcotic analgesics and works in the brian to change how your body feels and responds to pain. So far I can say that the Tramadol doesn't keep me awake but I have been more tired and sleeping OK at night. As for the pain I just started to take 2 tablets instead of one so I'm waiting to see how it works for the chest pains which usually occur doing exertion. In the past month I had all kinds of tests to make sure the chest pain isn't my heart, all my doctors are coming to the conclusion that it's the Connective Tissue Disease and/or GERD.

If I'm not mistaken- it is on the list of possible side effects that could cause insomnia. My Dr.s and friends that take it all told me not to take it late in the day. The only time it makes me sleepy is if I'm already sleep deprived.

If I'm not mistaken- it is on the list of possible side effects that could cause insomnia. My Dr.s and friends that take it all told me not to take it late in the day. The only time it makes me sleepy is if I'm already sleep deprived. Does tend to energize me.

I understand that when Tramadol was first marketed it was put to the public as an antidepressant. Being kept awake can be expected some times. Try useing 500mg Tylenol with a 50mg tab of Tramadol makes "Ultracet". Better chance of pain relief than tramadol alone. Believe me, I have been up wandering the halls at night after Tramadol too late in the day. Makes for a bummer of a next day. Good luck.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders