Too sick to work and was told I can't get disability!

Hi, my story is not new, I am sure. I have always been frail . I am 49 .

So... I sent in an initial "consultation"(that is the way it is done in my state) by email to an attorney's office for disability compensation. I was contacted and my husband talked as I am now a tracheostomy patient. I was told that with my extensive and complex medical history, that I would have sufficient cause for disability; but I did not have enough credits for disability. In my 20s I was able to substitute teach and work on a day to day basis, at times. I lack 7 credits for disability.

I wanted to be a doctor and treat people who have chronic pain. LOL!
I can't get SSI disability because I am married and supported by my husband. My husband quit his job to take care of me because I am a trach patient with a feeding tube and was misdiagnosed and had to go across the country for the proper care. I have just been diagnosed with relapsing polychondritis; which is a rare degenerative disease which destroys cartilage. So far, it is having a field day with my trachea and bronchial tubes.
Some days I can't get out of bed, while other days I can walk around my house. I am allergic to just about everything now. It is very tough; because of my limited lung capacity.

My husband has given up his everything for me. My medical and pharmacy bills are increasing by the minute.

Do I have a case?? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thank you,
Stacey

15 replies. Join the discussion

Please try Allsup 1=800=279-4357. That's all they do is SSDI. They are wonderful friendly people. I don't know anything about credits you need but I'm sure they can help you. i hope it all works out for you. They helped me a lot.

did you ever work for cash or another job where you did not pay social security tax?

if so, it might be possible to pay the tax now and get those quarters counted

Hi, I will look into Allsup. I am having a bronchoscopy tomorrow and will look check into it as soon as I can.
I did not do any work for cash. I worked jobs like substitute teaching or convention work that were day or weekly jobs at best. I appreciate your suggestions and that you took your time to write to me.

I hope you are having a good night. :)

Stacey

I don't know what state you are in but SSD I would assume it would be the same. A friend of mine got SSD but got it on her husbands because she did not have in enough quarters either. But he is deceased and that may have something to do with it. IT doesn't hurt to ask the question. Sometimes they do not offer the information. I wish you Luck in finding some answers and hope it comes thru for you. And no it is not widowers pension it is SSD and they applied her husbands credits to her.

Don't stop. Get a lawyer b/c u do have a case. I was told the same thing b/c of my age and my degrees. But I didn't give up. It took me 4 yrs. but I got it. I hate that we have to go through this and we really need the help. The system is really mess up. Good luck and don't give up!

Long term disability is a federal program. http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

Make sure you are applying to the correct program. Good luck! Prayers going out to you.

If you do not have enough paid quarters to qualify for SSD on your own work record, provided your husband has paid into Social Security for the required number of quarters, you should be able to draw SSDI benefits under his work record. Unfortunately the system is slow and requires perseverance. It took two years before Social Security granted my disability benefits (after paying SS for 44 consecutive years). You can apply without a lawyer, but if you already have and were turned down, I recommend you retain a lawyer to assist you in getting the benefits you are entitled to. DO NOT pay a penny to the lawyer. The way it works is the lawyer will only be entitled to a fee if he gets you your disability award. Unless things have changed, the lawyer can only collect 20% of your retroactive benefit, with a limit of +/- $4,500.00. One law firm that works throughout the US to help people get benefits they are entitled to is Binder and Binder. I will warn you, unless you have stage IV kidney failure or are not expected to live more than 12 months, it does take a long time until you will be granted your benefit. SS will subtract the fee the lawyer is entitled to from your retroactive payment and send it to the law firm.

I feel for what you are going through as I went through the same. Get a lawyer and let him worry about getting you your benefit; you work about maintaining your health to the best level possible. That is what I did.

Good luck.

Great advice above. I do know a lot of people, myself included, who qualified and were granted payments within a couple of weeks of applying. It doesn't always take forever. Good luck!!

It really depends on what state your in. In Illinois the maximum amount to an attorney is $6,000. But I still would call Allsup. They are much less, much quicker, much easeir and much more friendly. Maybe I just had an ass for an attorney, but all I did was drive 25 miles one way every 4-6 weeks for him to tell me he has nothing and bill me another hour. Why can't they tell you that on the phone?

THANK you for all of your help. I will definitely start getting records together and getting journals together as well. I will not give up and I appreciate the time and consideration you have given to me.
It is so exasperating to try to get benenfits that you deserve. It was so frustrasting when the lawyer told my husband I should get benefits "health-wise," but that I could not get benefits because I did not work.

I wish you all well and again, a huge THANK YOU for your time!

Stacey :)

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it might be possible for your husband to apply for his benefits if he's quit his job to be your full-time care-giver.

I don't know your state but I thought that it was the Federal govt that handles SSID? I live in Maine and when i applied my husband was working. Within 6 months I received my disability.

I was a social worker since 1975. Some years I could not work. During the time my medical problems slowed down, I worked with consumers with disabilities. Part of my job description was to work closely with SS and to make sure each consumer did not lose their SSI or SSDI. When all the Social workers came together for team meetings. We discussed each of our consumers. We made sure the SS was up and running, this gave the consumers the ability to become independent. When we started helping them with their daily life problems, we found our little birdie flying around telling everyone away how hard it was to get SSI or SSDI. Then they would tell them you had to apply at least once or sometimes two, three or maybe more. The Consumer would be denied when applying for the first time. We thought they wanted to found out who really needed it and would go the extra mile. birdie sure like to gossip about SSI or SSDI. So who really knows why so many are denied on the first try.

Thank you so much for this information; I will keep re reading it and keep on going and not give up! :)

I hope you are having a great weekend,
Stacey :)

you can apply online - as this is a federal based program

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders