Thumb pain - calcium deposit

It's back again! Last year I was first diagnosed with Schlero after going to the rheum Dr. for bad pain at the end of my thumb like gout. Turns out it was calcium deposit - part of the CREST syndrome. Went away after a month. Now it's starting to come back. I tried unsuccessfully to change medicines last month to avoid side effects (from Plaquinil to Methotrexate for 1 month and back to Plaquinil). Maybe that triggered the renewed thumb pain. Or it could be the warm weather. I feel it to a lesser extent in a couple other finger tips. Anyone have any remedies, suggestions?

10 replies. Join the discussion

Losm,
Wish I had recommendations. The calcium deposits can be so very painful. Have had numerous in my right fingers and taken out 3 times. They keep coming back and my Rhumy and hand surgeon don't want me to have any more surgeries. Ugh, the pain is horrible and I am going to go back again and ask some of them to be taken out because of the pain. Now, I have one on the bottom of my right foot. Can barely walk. Thankfully found a podiatrist that will take it out and try to raise up my middle toe so maybe the pressure of that happening will not bring the calcium back. The foot calcium was likely caused by the zumba I did which helped me so much with dealing with stress. Now my podiatrist told me no more Zumba ever. So sad about that. I believe that cold weather as in Wisconsin is so hard on my hands. If you do have surgery be aware that the calcium deposits will likely come back. For me being pain free for six months to a year is worth it. I am worried now though that they may just need to take off my thumb. Surgery or pain. Such hard decisions we have to make with this disease.

Over the last day, I've been applying Voltarin every couple hours to my thumb and that seems to be significantly lessening the sharp pain -- not sure it's doing much to resolve the deposit itself. My family doctor prescribed the voltarin for pain in my (non-healing) tennis elbow and Achilles tendon. He said it's like topical advil -- has anti-pain and anti-inflammatory properties. You might get some of this stuff and try it. Has a nice smell. I can't be sure that the Voltarin is making the difference as I am back on Plaquinil again for the last week and that might be kicking in to help with the thumb. But the one day difference since using voltarin has been noticeable.

I don't know much about these awful things, but my rheumy says that nothing we do causes them, & nothing gets rid of them eIther except surgery. Mine do come & go, the "going" beig mostly in soft tissue. My podiatrist is trying to make my orthotics accommodate the calci's on my heels, with some success, but I can't even imagine how painful your thumbs must be. I feel for you. Yes, tough choices with this disease. Ingested Voltaren, which I took for years, has the worst record of the NSAIDs for cardiac problems. I don't know if that applies to its topical use. Naproxen has the best record but might not help with calci pain.
Questions: does scleroderma interfere with healing after surgery? Do we also get them internally, on our organs?
I'll see if NIH has any pertinent info on calci's & will report back. Best!

I get them at the joints of my pinky fingers if I eat too much refined sugar. I also have some on my feet and orthotic shoes have helped.

I tried the following potential remedy over the course of a week a while back but without noticing much difference. I may give it another shot. It seems to make sense. DMSO is safe (some people drink it) but even absorbed through the skin it gives you a bad taste in your mouth:

http://drdanielcobb.blogspot.com/2012/05/melting-calcium-deposits.html

Hi LOSM and all,
This is my first posting since I discovered this website. I have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. In reference to your calcinosis, LOSM, I completely understand. I've been dealing with painful calcinosis for the last nine years. I've had multiple surgeries on my hands( palm, thumbs, tips of fingers) and on my wrist to remove the calcinosis. My writing hand's index finger has had at least seven surgeries to remove it. The plastic surgeon reports that he has always had a difficult time removing Calcinosis in the tips of fingers because of the risk of damaging nerves/tendons. Rather than getting frustrated, I have come to terms with the fact that I'll always be dealing with the pain and ultimate surgery to remove it- it does indeed always come back. This disease teaches me everyday to let go, let God. We really have little control over this other than to accept it and deal with it gracfully.

I'm also a man with Scleroderma in the New York City area and have survived Scleroderma for 18 years. I've found that applying Nitroglycerin Ointment 2%, in 1:1 dilution with 2% Bactroban Ointment (topically to the visible calcinosis on my fingers) helps with some of the calcinosis that is close to the skin surface. Which doctors are you seeing? Check with your doctors to see if they feel that it would be advisable with your medical condition and with the medications you are taking now.
Good luck.

I have had the same issue, some came out my thumb, but it was solidified like a piece of chalk! There is still some in there, and i can feel some in other places. I have been told that an Australian remedy called pawpaw cream is excellent and removing them, and good for ulcers also, so may be worth a shot!

I have had one on my right hand, index finger or pointer finger. It has been so painful at times I could just let someone hatch it off. I just don't understand why we have to go through so much PAIN, sometimes I think it is to get closer and closer to the Lord (which I do). I have had this calcium deposit to fester up in places and look like a pimple. I know this is bad to do , but I have stuck a pin in it and you wouldn't believe the yellow stuff that comes out when you mash it...this does give me a little relief. I know my Dr. would have a fit if he knew I do this. He will not let me have surgery on it, because he says it will do NO good, they will come back and having the Rhynauds it might not get well, so he want let me. I just deal with it and pray a lot about this finger and when I bump it OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!. So , I wish who ever has this will stay in contact with me and maybe we can help one another out if nothing but just talk about it.

Pawpaw cream - what a fun name. Have to look into that. Sounds much friendlier than Nitroglycerin Ointment. Anyway, just to report back: the DMSO + vitamin C remedy didn't seem to"melt away" the deposits as that one blogger suggested. Tried it for 3 weeks, twice a day, but maybe it takes the right mixture. I'll try it again someday maybe dissolving the vitamin c in water first. Right now I'm taking vitamin K2 which is supposed to regulate how the body handles calcium. The pain in my thumbs is mostly in remission now but who knows whether it's the K2 or just another lull for whatever reason. I got a new doc, whose easing me into the antibiotic therapy. Worth a try. It's great to have this forum to share with. Thanks all.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders